IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2007, 12:52 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Tina on IDN.IDN

>>TINA DAM: Thank you, Paul. I will try to be brief. As most of you know it's really difficult for me to talk about IDNs in only two minutes, but we will give it a try.

There's a status report on this topic as well on Thursday. So this will just be sort of a brief overview of what will be more detailed on Thursday.

If you take a look at three core elements for getting us Internationalized Domain Names in the root, there's lots more than three but let's just take a look at the three main ones from my perspective, anyway. There's the technical testing, there's the protocol revision and the IDN policy. And I'm going to speak briefly of each one of them and then we will talk a little bit about time lines.

So the technical testing is to determine whether it's technically safe to insert Internationalized Domain Names top level labels into the root.

The plan for that consists of several layers. One was the laboratory test that was testing the root server and resolver software. And that has been completed. And the result was successful, which also, at least large parts of the technical community expected it to be.

So that means that the software that was used in the laboratory test is capable of handling NS records of Punycode strings that corresponds to internationalized labels.

Then there is different opinions about what should be in the sec phase, across the community, not just the technical community.

Some want full application testing, which can be difficult because you need to determine which applications that would be.

Some wanted the testing to go all the way out to the user interface, and allow testing with registrants and registries and registrars.

Some of this is going further out than ICANN's mandate. For example, there's been suggestions about inserting test labels in the root to figure out what the community that those labels are directed to, which one of them they would like the best.

Some people believe that's domain tasting in the root, and we can't do that.

But in any event, there's lots of different opinions, and I've asked the technical liaisons to the ICANN board for some assistance in sorting out how far do we go in these testing mechanisms.

So that includes Suzanne Woolf who is the board liaison from the RSSAC, the Root Server Advisory Committee, and they met in Prague last week and decided it was okay for ICANN to insert test or production internationalized top-level strings as long as its NS record is in the root. So they are saying, for example, no DNAMES.

On that topic, we are waiting a little bit for the policy development bodies to figure out if they would like to have an aliasing mechanism, and if it is that functionality that they would like to have, then we will go back to the technical community and they are prepared to have some more conversations and analysis around what is the safest method for providing that functionality. DNAME could be one of those.

It also includes Steve Crocker as the chair of the SSAC. And the SSAC has decided to initiate an IDN analysis, if you like, for security and stability issues. Of course, if there's issues that come out of that study that requires some further testing or review or modifications for how IDNs are deployed, that could be something that we need it take up in the technical test projects.

Department of Commerce obviously also have a role in this in terms of I wanted to make sure there's emergency procedures available if something goes wrong as we go towards deployment. And they may have some additional requirements for testing.

So all of that is being worked on.

Second area was the IDN protocol revision, and as I think most of you know, that takes place within the IETF. And not within ICANN.

It's a revision of the protocol that was deployed as a standard in 2003. And we're looking at making some revisions to that.

I'm saying "we" because I'm part of that team, not specifically because I'm ICANN staff but because of the topic.

Then there's IDN policy developments or policy issues that might need to be figured out.

And we have a really large group of IDN policy issues working groups. That's a little bit of a challenge because you need a lot of staff and resources to make sure that these policy groups don't go off in different directions which would leave ICANN with something that could be difficult to implement and work with in terms of processes for deployment.

And this week, we have the IDN workshop on Wednesday, and that is focused on policy only. The intent is to figure out what is the overlapping issues between the policy working groups and to see where they need to work together on solutions as opposed to going in opposite directions.

So that's really brief on a lot of activities that are going on with IDNs.

And Paul, I know Alex, Alejandro asked for how we're going in terms of time line for the year, calendar year of 2007.

I have to be honest that with the dependencies that are in place right now externally, with the different studies and the different works that's going on, it's just not possible for me to give you that time line.

I know that's not a very good answer. It is the truth, however. And when working hard on getting time lines from the different groups that are working so that we can merge all of those into an updated project plan that then will give a deadline for when we will be ready with this deployment efforts.
Old 27th March 2007, 01:38 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: Tina on IDN.IDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
>>TINA DAM: Thank you, Paul. I will try to be brief. As most of you know it's really difficult for me to talk about IDNs in only two minutes, but we will give it a try.

There's a status report on this topic as well on Thursday. So this will just be sort of a brief overview of what will be more detailed on Thursday.

If you take a look at three core elements for getting us Internationalized Domain Names in the root, there's lots more than three but let's just take a look at the three main ones from my perspective, anyway. There's the technical testing, there's the protocol revision and the IDN policy. And I'm going to speak briefly of each one of them and then we will talk a little bit about time lines.

So the technical testing is to determine whether it's technically safe to insert Internationalized Domain Names top level labels into the root.

The plan for that consists of several layers. One was the laboratory test that was testing the root server and resolver software. And that has been completed. And the result was successful, which also, at least large parts of the technical community expected it to be.

So that means that the software that was used in the laboratory test is capable of handling NS records of Punycode strings that corresponds to internationalized labels.

Then there is different opinions about what should be in the sec phase, across the community, not just the technical community.

Some want full application testing, which can be difficult because you need to determine which applications that would be.

Some wanted the testing to go all the way out to the user interface, and allow testing with registrants and registries and registrars.

Some of this is going further out than ICANN's mandate. For example, there's been suggestions about inserting test labels in the root to figure out what the community that those labels are directed to, which one of them they would like the best.

Some people believe that's domain tasting in the root, and we can't do that.

But in any event, there's lots of different opinions, and I've asked the technical liaisons to the ICANN board for some assistance in sorting out how far do we go in these testing mechanisms.

So that includes Suzanne Woolf who is the board liaison from the RSSAC, the Root Server Advisory Committee, and they met in Prague last week and decided it was okay for ICANN to insert test or production internationalized top-level strings as long as its NS record is in the root. So they are saying, for example, no DNAMES.

On that topic, we are waiting a little bit for the policy development bodies to figure out if they would like to have an aliasing mechanism, and if it is that functionality that they would like to have, then we will go back to the technical community and they are prepared to have some more conversations and analysis around what is the safest method for providing that functionality. DNAME could be one of those.

It also includes Steve Crocker as the chair of the SSAC. And the SSAC has decided to initiate an IDN analysis, if you like, for security and stability issues. Of course, if there's issues that come out of that study that requires some further testing or review or modifications for how IDNs are deployed, that could be something that we need it take up in the technical test projects.

Department of Commerce obviously also have a role in this in terms of I wanted to make sure there's emergency procedures available if something goes wrong as we go towards deployment. And they may have some additional requirements for testing.

So all of that is being worked on.

Second area was the IDN protocol revision, and as I think most of you know, that takes place within the IETF. And not within ICANN.

It's a revision of the protocol that was deployed as a standard in 2003. And we're looking at making some revisions to that.

I'm saying "we" because I'm part of that team, not specifically because I'm ICANN staff but because of the topic.

Then there's IDN policy developments or policy issues that might need to be figured out.

And we have a really large group of IDN policy issues working groups. That's a little bit of a challenge because you need a lot of staff and resources to make sure that these policy groups don't go off in different directions which would leave ICANN with something that could be difficult to implement and work with in terms of processes for deployment.

And this week, we have the IDN workshop on Wednesday, and that is focused on policy only. The intent is to figure out what is the overlapping issues between the policy working groups and to see where they need to work together on solutions as opposed to going in opposite directions.

So that's really brief on a lot of activities that are going on with IDNs.

And Paul, I know Alex, Alejandro asked for how we're going in terms of time line for the year, calendar year of 2007.

I have to be honest that with the dependencies that are in place right now externally, with the different studies and the different works that's going on, it's just not possible for me to give you that time line.

I know that's not a very good answer. It is the truth, however. And when working hard on getting time lines from the different groups that are working so that we can merge all of those into an updated project plan that then will give a deadline for when we will be ready with this deployment efforts.
This sucks that there is opposition. We really need DNAME.
Old 27th March 2007, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Hmmm.

So the RSSAC OK's the insertion of test OR PRODUCTION IDN NS records in the live root, but then it says it wan't to do security testing of same?

No hint of any timeline for DNAME tests to start either.

Mention of the IETF work on tightening the nameprep specs, but nothing else about it.

And then the policy side. God, that could take years!

I guess we'll have to wait for the IDN workshop to know anything concrete. Any details anywhere on remote participation on that one?
Old 27th March 2007, 10:21 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

I think it is the policy side of things where we are expecting substantive progress.

The thing many do not appreciate about ICANN is that these meeting are not only a window onto the World, but they are where things like policy actuallly get hammered out. The technical stuff is done away from these meeting in a backroom somewhere. The policy stuff largely gets sorted here. Well, at least the stuff that is open to discussion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Hmmm.

So the RSSAC OK's the insertion of test OR PRODUCTION IDN NS records in the live root, but then it says it wan't to do security testing of same?

No hint of any timeline for DNAME tests to start either.

Mention of the IETF work on tightening the nameprep specs, but nothing else about it.

And then the policy side. God, that could take years!

I guess we'll have to wait for the IDN workshop to know anything concrete. Any details anywhere on remote participation on that one?
Old 28th March 2007, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

More from ICANN on IDN's...

http://www.icann.org/meetings/lisbon...de-26mar07.pdf

http://www.icann.org/meetings/lisbon...ns-26mar07.pdf

Also some intereting mentions of IDN in some of the transcripts and some VERY interesting comments regarding the drop game, etc.

http://www.icann.org/meetings/lisbon/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Hmmm.

Ah. Different beasts.

RSSAC = Root-Server System Advisory Committee

SSAC = Security & Stability Advisory Committee

Last edited by Drewbert; 28th March 2007 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost