IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > النطاقات العربي

النطاقات العربي Discussion on Arabic Domains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th February 2006, 07:32 AM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road
Watch out there is arabic hyphen!

I discovered that there is arabic hyphen in the arabic keyboard

it is different from the normal hyphen

the arabic hyphen is" ـ "

the normal one is -

the problem is that it is confusing for those who can read arabic and can be used to cheat people to buy different names

for example

دردشة chating without hyphens
دردشـة with one hyphen
دردشــة with 2 hyphens

the one who read arabic may be confused and buy a different name because all the three looks the same so be careful and check OVT and google

it is a similar thing like you try to sell llne.com as line.com by capitalizing it
and show it as LlNE.com

I discovered that through a member here who doesn't know that ... and will drop him a pm now ...

regards
Old 20th February 2006, 07:43 AM
мембер

glow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished road
Re: Watch out there is arabic hyphen!

Thanks G! Very useful info
Old 20th February 2006, 07:43 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Thks, i've checked, this can be verified using OVT count - the one with hyphen provides almost no OVT. :-)
Old 20th February 2006, 07:49 AM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Thks, i've checked, this can be verified using OVT count - the one with hyphen provides almost no OVT. :-)
good idea. though a determined con can distort OVT too. Remember to also try google.
Old 20th February 2006, 07:55 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenne
good idea. though a determined con can distort OVT too. Remember to also try google.
How is it possible to distort OVT?

So far, the common trick here is just to sell with Google count without the "double quote" (Chinese/Japanese terms frequently give millions or tens of millions results without the double quote, even for obscure and useless terms).

Last edited by touchring; 20th February 2006 at 07:59 AM..
Old 20th February 2006, 07:58 AM

Maybe he can run a lot of searches on Yahoo for this keyword. It will show up next month. That's how I understand ovt works, no?
Old 20th February 2006, 08:02 AM
Veteran

Ic, might work, but he can make more money by using the time to register good generics instead.
Old 20th February 2006, 08:02 AM
мембер

glow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished roadglow is on a distinguished road

Anyway it seems potential spoofing problem for arabic idns
Old 20th February 2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Ic, might work, but he can make more money by using the time to register good generics instead.
yup. That's why I say that only a determined con would do that. But if the money involved is big, doesn't hurt to be careful
Old 20th February 2006, 08:48 AM
Veteran

Well, due diligence is always required whether buying a domain or registering one.

I spend about 10-30 minutes researching on every domain i register - using various translator - translating to/fro, checking ovt, google, yahoo, even checking the links returned by Google, and yet i still make some small mistakes.

It's very inefficient, and the time i spend researching, i guess many fellow forumers here would have registered 3-5 or more!

Last edited by touchring; 20th February 2006 at 08:52 AM..
Old 20th February 2006, 09:11 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

Arabic is going to be fairly easy to sort out shortly, as it is getting decent traffic. These patterns will soon tell us what works and what doesn't!
Old 20th February 2006, 09:33 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwrixon
Arabic is going to be fairly easy to sort out shortly, as it is getting decent traffic. These patterns will soon tell us what works and what doesn't!

I've sort of figured out the kind of Arabic domains you got from WHOIS, they are mostly prime single-word generics, much better than other languages you own, hence the explanation for traffic.

Regardless of the opinion on IDNF with regards to Arabic domains, based on my experience with the spending power i've seen for companies from oil rich Arab states, i would say they would be your most valuable once IDNs mature.

One mustn't underestimate - wasn't there some billionaire Prince that swept away a huge chunk of .info?? It would just take only a few billionaire prince to push the Arabic domain markets to heights we would have never imagine.

Last edited by touchring; 20th February 2006 at 09:38 AM..
Old 20th February 2006, 09:57 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've sort of figured out the kind of Arabic domains you got from WHOIS, they are mostly prime single-word generics, much better than other languages you own, hence the explanation for traffic.

Regardless of the opinion on IDNF with regards to Arabic domains, based on my experience with the spending power i've seen for companies from oil rich Arab states, i would say they would be your most valuable once IDNs mature.

One mustn't underestimate - wasn't there some billionaire Prince that swept away a huge chunk of .info?? It would just take only a few billionaire prince to push the Arabic domain markets to heights we would have never imagine.
Yes, Emir.com is already attracting some attention!

We have made mistakes in Arabic, but I think we can afford to offset our losses.

To a large extent, we initially went for single characters as words were too complicated. We then went to single words because our understanding of the language was limited. We started looking at two word combos, but came to the conclusion that risk of getting it all wrong were very high. Just goes to show that the old adage "Keep it Simple" works every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
I discovered that there is arabic hyphen in the arabic keyboard

it is different from the normal hyphen

the arabic hyphen is" ـ "

the normal one is -

the problem is that it is confusing for those who can read arabic and can be used to cheat people to buy different names

for example

دردشة chating without hyphens
دردشـة with one hyphen
دردشــة with 2 hyphens

the one who read arabic may be confused and buy a different name because all the three looks the same so be careful and check OVT and google

it is a similar thing like you try to sell llne.com as line.com by capitalizing it
and show it as LlNE.com

I discovered that through a member here who doesn't know that ... and will drop him a pm now ...

regards
Yes, this is bound to cause a huge amount of confusion, especially as one is ASCII and the other will need to be converted to Punycode!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 20th February 2006 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 15th December 2006, 09:00 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Hyphens are on the exclude list now.
Old 15th December 2006, 09:08 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Hyphens are on the exclude list now.
When the "unicode include list" is implemented, punctation of this sort will not on the list. And I suspect registrations might be deleted ...