IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > IDN Domain Registration

IDN Domain Registration Discussion for registering IDN domain names.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st February 2006, 12:44 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Wrong Language?!

I have a pending regist with dynadot that says: " result Wrong Language "

Since when you can't mix different language characters?

I know ie7 will display a warning message, but this?!?!?!
Old 21st February 2006, 03:35 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wrong Language?!

You need to clear this with dynadot - some registrars put in scripts to check your language code.
Old 21st February 2006, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Didn't they ban the mixing of arabic and non-arabic scripts, to stop people registering names with characters that were visually identical to arabic mixed into arabic domains to use in phishing attacks?
Old 21st February 2006, 07:27 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Didn't they ban the mixing of arabic and non-arabic scripts, to stop people registering names with characters that were visually identical to arabic mixed into arabic domains to use in phishing attacks?
Don't think it is a major issue with Arabic but it certainly has been with Cyrllics. Not many Arabic characters could be combined with Latin ones to make a convincing phishing attack. Some of the Cyrillic and other European scripts could be very deceptive.
Old 21st February 2006, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Sorry, replace "Arabic" with "Latin" in my post, and say DOH! on my behalf.

Does it make more sense now? :^)
Old 26th May 2006, 05:10 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Let's take Azeri for example. It uses Latin chacacters with a few Cyrillic characters misex in.

So, if you register the "technically correct" version in all Lain, you will prevent the version that any Azeri user would type in on their keyboard from ever being registered, due to "variant" issues.

However, the legitimate "mixed Latin + Cyrillic" version also can not be registered when the commonly used Cyrillic characters appear in the word.
Old 26th May 2006, 05:10 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Edit. Wrong information posted in error.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 26th May 2006 at 06:58 AM..
Old 26th May 2006, 06:37 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Domainsite.com will not take Azeri IDN. But it will accept them as Turkish. As it is known as a Turkic language, I felt that it was acceptable to just register them as Turkish. I think the problem lies at the registry level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Let's take Azeri for example. It uses Latin chacacters with a few Cyrillic characters mixed in.

So, if you register the "technically correct" version in all Latin, you will prevent the version that any Azeri user would type in on their keyboard from ever being registered, due to "variant" issues. You would also have a useless domain nobody could type.

However, the legitimate "mixed Latin + Cyrillic" version also can not be registered when the commonly used Cyrillic characters appear in the word.
Old 26th May 2006, 06:50 AM
Veteran

Sorry for the confusion. It is the other way arround.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 26th May 2006 at 07:00 AM..
Old 26th May 2006, 06:57 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Well, then you may have gotten the "all Latin" version. Real Azeri sites use "Latin + Cyrillic". The problem only shows up in words with the one Cyrillic character that is used. You will also encouter cedillas, which are Turkish charcters.

Turkish of course does not use Cyrillic characters at all.
xn--kompter-q2a.com kompüter
xn--sfr-dtbbb.com səfərə
xn--cihazlar-0kb.com cihazları
xn--mnzil-elc.com mənzil

It is not just the funny E but it is also the the U with the dots that causes problems. This U is not the German U with dot but the Turkish one which seems to have a different unicode point. The other odd character is the dotless I, which is distinct from the I with the dot. Becareful using Word or Excel to correct the case, as they will go from without to with, which is obviously wrong. You will also encounter a Cedilla with S which is Turkic not Cyrillic.

xn--axtar-r4a63a.com axtarış Search
Old 26th May 2006, 06:59 AM
Veteran

I got the schwa "e" wrong. Sorry.

Azәrbaycan - uses Cyrillic "ə". 508 for Azәrbaycan
Azərbaycan - uses Latin "ə". 10,200,000 for Azərbaycan

I was checking this out a few months ago, and I think the problem in this case is someone registered the Cyrillic version in .com and it wouldn't let me get the Latin.
Old 26th May 2006, 07:03 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I got the schwa "e" wrong. Sorry.

Azәrbaycan - uses Cyrillic "ə". 508 for Azәrbaycan
Azərbaycan - uses Latin "ə". 10,200,000 for Azərbaycan

I was checking this out a few months ago, and I think the problem in this case is someone registered the Cyrillic version in .com and it wouldn't let me get the Latin.
I think if you try to register it as cyrillic it won't allow you to because Latin Cyrillic mix is blocked. It might look like a cyrillic but it is a Turkic Character with a separate unicode point, I think.
Old 26th May 2006, 07:28 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I think if you try to register it as cyrillic it won't allow you to because Latin Cyrillic mix is blocked. It might look like a cyrillic but it is a Turkic Character with a separate unicode point, I think.
The problem in this case is that someone DID reg the mixed domain and the regular was blocked.
Old 26th May 2006, 07:32 AM
Veteran

Quote:
The problem in this case is that someone DID reg the mixed domain and the regular was blocked.
So is this now worth dot com prices?

xn--azrbaycan-h4d.net Azərbaycan
Old 26th May 2006, 10:19 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
So is this now worth dot com prices?

xn--azrbaycan-h4d.net Azərbaycan
The short answer is no, someone managed to get the right one in .com afterall.

The long answer is: Don't overpay for Azeri as nobody as sold one yet. I will let you or anyone else have any domain in my Azeri portfolio for $2K as long as it can be publicised, however. :p
Old 26th May 2006, 11:48 AM
Veteran

Quote:
The short answer is no, someone managed to get the right one in .com afterall.

The long answer is: Don't overpay for Azeri as nobody as sold one yet. I will let you or anyone else have any domain in my Azeri portfolio for $2K as long as it can be publicised, however. :p
Well don' let it put you off. Apart from the Turkish cross-over everything appears to be available even AscII. Used the following language resources.

http://www.azersoft.com/dict/

http://www.polyglot.az/scripts/webaz...1%3Br&VINDEX=2

Yes, and if someone wants to start the ball rolling at $2K, that would give them the pick of that portfolio.
Old 26th May 2006, 12:09 PM
Veteran

I'm not too keen on Azeri IDNs though.
Old 26th May 2006, 12:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not too keen on Azeri IDNs though.
Too Bad:

http://www.photius.com/rankings/econ...te_2005_0.html
Old 9th July 2006, 02:43 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road
Possible to register .com Domain Names with Spaces in Between?

Hi all,

I have been trying to register a few .com domain names with spaces in between (eg. "xxx yyy.com") . I have tried domainsite and dynadot and both gave me errors. However I do see that corresponding names with .net (eg. "xxx yyy.net") extensions have been registered with no problems. Anyone know why this is the case and if there are any IDN registrars that would allow this for .com regs?

Thanks for all the help.