IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 域名

域名 Discussion for Chinese IDN domain names. Chinese domains include .cn, .com, & .net.
This section is for discussion only Please do NOT post Chinese domains for sale here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st February 2006, 06:53 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Private Domain

Found link to this article at DNJ. Does anyway understand what it is all about

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english...ent_522266.htm

If so perhaps a few words to the "wise" might be in order!
Old 21st February 2006, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: Private Domain

"referring to the four forms of Chinese domains with the following suffixes: .cn, .Zhongguo (China), .Gongsi (company) and .Wangluo (Internet)."

Surely .Zhongguo is mapped in the DNS to .cn ? So that would make 3 forms?

(And don't call me Shirley)
Old 21st February 2006, 07:17 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
"referring to the four forms of Chinese domains with the following suffixes: .cn, .Zhongguo (China), .Gongsi (company) and .Wangluo (Internet)."

Surely .Zhongguo is mapped in the DNS to .cn ? So that would make 3 forms?

(And don't call me Shirley)
Yes, I had a bit of difficulty with this article. There is quite a bit lost in the translation, but I think they are essentially calling IDN just Chinese Domains. When they quote the actual names involved, I think they are transliterating for our benefit rather than showing the Chinese characters, which might lead you (I think falsely) to assume that they are talking about Latin dot CN.
Old 21st February 2006, 07:28 AM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I know what they are talking about. I have been following the development in China very carefully in the last 3 weeks.

CNNIC is doing a massive campaign in many cities in China to promote IDN.cn. In this article, Chinese domains means IDN.cn. But in some other articles it may just mean regular.cn.

If you read Chinese news, there are reports at every news website encouraging people to reg IDN.cn domains. To me, this is a good news.

Forget the other suffixes: .Gongsi (company) and .Wangluo (Internet). I haven't seen any promotions emphasize on these yet.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 21st February 2006, 07:41 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Yes, I know what they are talking about. I have been following the development in China very carefully in the last 3 weeks.

CNNIC is doing a massive campaign in many cities in China to promote IDN.cn. In this article, Chinese domains means IDN.cn. But in some other articles it may just mean regular.cn.

If you read Chinese news, there are reports at every news website encouraging people to reg IDN.cn domains. To me, this is a good news.

Forget the other suffixes: .Gongsi (company) and .Wangluo (Internet). I haven't seen any promotions emphasize on these yet.
Yes, frankly I would see most enterprises both domestic and foreign reading this as a signal that it would be very unwise not to register at least one Chinese IDN. If China exercises the level of control over the Internet that we are led to believe in the West, then using the wrong format of domain name could be expected to result in all sorts of problems.
Old 21st February 2006, 09:16 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant

产品.公司 is doomed for failure from the marketing point of view. It simply doesn't "flow" as a URL.

Imagine using "www.idnforums.company" for TLD! Will people accept that?

www.产品.cn looks much cooler.

Last edited by touchring; 21st February 2006 at 09:20 AM..
Old 21st February 2006, 09:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
产品.公司 is doomed for failure from the marketing point of view. It simply doesn't "flow" as a URL.

Imagine using "www.idnforums.company" for TLD! Will people accept that?

www.产品.cn looks much cooler.
Well, I am not sure whether I agree with that or not. My view point is, however, of no consequence one way or the other. It is how people in China see that will eventually determine what is used, but either way, it still has no impact on our investements, one way or the other. DNS aliasing at the root will enable people to choose which version of the extension they prefer. In all cases the bit before the dot will be in Punycode, which is what really matters. We will still get the revenue from the traffic whichever form they choose to use.
Old 21st February 2006, 11:32 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwrixon
Well, I am not sure whether I agree with that or not. My view point is, however, of no consequence one way or the other. It is how people in China see that will eventually determine what is used, but either way, it still has no impact on our investements, one way or the other. DNS aliasing at the root will enable people to choose which version of the extension they prefer. In all cases the bit before the dot will be in Punycode, which is what really matters. We will still get the revenue from the traffic whichever form they choose to use.
Actually, it's simple, 产品.公司 is equivalent to products.company. Will you use products.company as your domain?
Old 21st February 2006, 05:28 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Actually, it's simple, 产品.公司 is equivalent to products.company. Will you use products.company as your domain?
we use products.com(pany) everyday.

the name.com(doesn't make much sense either)

the .idn you show just shows how ppl in another nation will write the .com... They'll get used to it.
Old 21st February 2006, 06:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
we use products.com(pany) everyday.

the name.com(doesn't make much sense either)

the .idn you show just shows how ppl in another nation will write the .com... They'll get used to it.
We use products.com everyday, and not 'products.company'. In Chinese, the company is spelt out in full and not as a shortform or as a "sound" word as in the russian ком.
Old 21st February 2006, 06:27 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
We use products.com everyday, and not 'products.company'. In Chinese, the company is spelt out in full and not as a shortform or as a "sound" word as in the russian ком.
when .cn turns into .china in that script it wouldn't sound any better would it?

sushi.china etc
Old 21st February 2006, 06:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
when .cn turns into .china in that script it wouldn't sound any better would it?

sushi.china etc
Well, would you prefer sushi.china or sushi.cn?
Old 21st February 2006, 07:11 PM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point

X.cn is likely read as China X
X.com is likely read as X.com or X.company (which does sound a little too formal)
X.net is likely read in any of 3 ways:
net X (sounds natural but probably implies an online business)
or X.net (read wang: which sounds natural, but probably implies an aggregator business)
or X.net (read zai xian, implies an online business)

It seems almost as .net is the most natural when IDN.IDN comes, but currently .net is relatively rarely used.

I made following spreadsheet from google search results to know just how many chinese pages use either .cn, .com or .net
.cn .com .net com/cn com/net
的 21 37 6 1.761904762 6.166666667
中心 14 17 3.5 1.214285714 4.857142857
闪盘 0.35 0.2 0.02 0.571428571 10
网 17 20 4.5 1.176470588 4.444444444
名表 1.4 0.8 0.02 0.571428571 40
上 15 25 5 1.666666667 5
甜 4 1.6 0.5 0.4 3.2
中秋 2 2 0.2 1 10
商学院 2.4 3 0.14 1.25 21.42857143
摩托 3.7 3 0.5 0.810810811 6

Looks like average ratio of .com/.cn usage is about 1; but average .com/.net ratio is about 5; all counts are in millions

As to what will happen to this ratio when idn.idn rolls out, we will find out...

Last edited by kenne; 21st February 2006 at 07:14 PM..