View Single Post
Old 14th March 2006, 09:59 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: ICANN to launch trial testing of IDNs forTop Level Domains in the third

Quote:
Important to note ;

"
In particular, of all of the possible approaches
that I'm aware of, the DNAME one is probably the least
satisfactory to anyone whose primary objective is to wrest
control of the DNS root away from ICANN or the US Government.
"
My thoughts on recent events, since the infamous mistaken press release seems to have rekindled debate on DNAME mapping vs new namespaces:

China keeps the propaganda machine humming to put pressure on furthering their long-term objective, which is control of ICANN or the creation of a competing authority. I doubt they will do anything drastic in the short or medium term. Their objectives are mapped-out measured in decades.

This sabre rattling has been their modus operandi to try and direct political and economic policy in Taiwan, Hong Kong and to a lesser extent, Macau, for years.

My guess is that 'slip-up' of a press release was not a slip-up. It was part of their political machine in action and their self-introduction to the world -- it worked well -- witness the firestorm that followed and the lemmings that fell over themselves propagating the false info in their blogs. If history is any indication, we'll see more of this and I won't be losing any sleep over it.

Last edited by gammascalper; 14th March 2006 at 10:06 PM..