View Single Post
Old 14th March 2006, 10:58 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough
Re: ICANN to launch trial testing of IDNs forTop Level Domains in the third

As I watched the IETF muddle along for years trying to work out the current punycode system one of the reoccuring themes was that they definately did not want to change in any way shape or form the original encoding scheme used on the root nameservers. ie. names defined by a-z, 0-9, and - . This is why we have the punycode system. It doesn't change the original structure in any way but provides the needed functionality.

The Dname proposition allows the further mapping of these extensions without changing the coding on the root servers in any way.

I'm not as up to speed on the NS proposition but I do believe that it would require a change in the code of the root servers. Can anyone verify this? If it is the case I would expect strong opposition to this proposal on a purely technical basis given what I have seen in the past.