View Single Post
Old 15th March 2006, 11:25 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Future scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
That's rather over-optimistic. I doubt there are even a dozen ASCII generics that get over 1 million PURE TYPEINS a month (with no "real" site, I mean, just parking pages). So the chances of seeing any IDN at that incredible level is zero. On the other hand, there's a loooooong way to go between here and there!

BTW, how are you getting a 15% CTR? Parking my Japanese IDN at NameDrive gives me an average of 4% CTR only...

You have to see that people must be dozing off the PC to type-in your domain in chinese or japanese, and then switch key to insert a dot com. The chance of that happening might be 1 in 50,000. The probability of winning a small lottery prize is higher.

Even for European domains, to type in société.com instead of societe.com, that person must be typing very fast and not paying attention. Probably a 1 in 1000 chance.

IDN will take off gradually and slowly, there are many factors contributing to type-in, including the presence of major sites using idn - that may only happen when IE7 becomes mainstream.

Like the fetish.com that Dave sold, i won't be surprised if it gets 20-30 type-in a day when IE7 becomes mainstream 3-4 years down the road, and a 30% clickthru once we can find a japanese adult ppc provider.

If it's getting 1 or even 0.5 type-in a day on average today, then it will be 50 times increase.

Did someone say that IE7 will automatically put the .com, if that's true, that alone will increase type-in by a few folds.

Last edited by touchring; 15th March 2006 at 11:38 AM..