IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2007, 12:43 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
How fast is the Arabic |Internet Growing?

I was mulling the idea of putting a few more names up in our Elite Auction, and started to bang a few into Google to see what results came up. I was bit stunned by this little baby:

xn--mgbcjh7i.com البحث Search

Results 1 - 10 of about 165,000,000 for البحث. (0.05 seconds)

Results 1 - 20 of about 1,750,000 for البحث. (0.06 seconds)

Is the Arabic Internet starting to explode!

Another result:

xn--4gb0a.net عن Address

Results 1 - 10 of about 237,000,000 for عن. (0.07 seconds)

Results 1 - 20 of about 2,020,000 for عن. (0.45 seconds)
Old 19th April 2007, 12:47 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Re: How fast is the Arabic |Internet Growing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I was mulling the idea of putting a few more names up in our Elite Auction, and started to bang a few into Google to see what results came up. I was bit stunned by this little baby:

xn--mgbcjh7i.com البحث Search

Results 1 - 10 of about 165,000,000 for البحث. (0.05 seconds)

Results 1 - 20 of about 1,750,000 for البحث. (0.06 seconds)

Is the Arabic Internet starting to explode!
As you will notice, google has started to cross-index languages.

Old 19th April 2007, 12:58 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
As you will notice, google has started to cross-index languages.

Google was doing some cross-indexing several years ago but I think if you flick past the first couple of pages you will see this is not a big factor.

Indeed it would seem that it is not Google that is doing the cross-referencing. Increasingly English Language sites are using keywords in non-Latin script!

I would suggest you look here as your view is being distorted by Geotargetting:

http://images.google.com.eg/images?h...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 19th April 2007 at 01:04 PM..
Old 19th April 2007, 05:28 PM

ScottFish is an unknown quantity at this point

RD - I have come across many different Arabic sites when doing some SEO projects.
I dare say that the Arabic internet presence is equal to the English/US presence in around 1999, with some exceptions of course.

The cost to set up a forum or a bollyood blog is so cheap and you have teens or 20ish adults breaking out of the constrains of society, looking for dating sites and other "fringe" sites.

I think this is the growth right now.
Honestly.... There is huge traffic in this pace right now, regardless of whether you have an IDN or not.
Old 19th April 2007, 05:34 PM
Veteran

I think you have a strong point there. People can to some degree be who they want to be online. That is very powerful in more restrictive societies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFish
RD - I have come across many different Arabic sites when doing some SEO projects.
I dare say that the Arabic internet presence is equal to the English/US presence in around 1999, with some exceptions of course.

The cost to set up a forum or a bollyood blog is so cheap and you have teens or 20ish adults breaking out of the constrains of society, looking for dating sites and other "fringe" sites.

I think this is the growth right now.
Honestly.... There is huge traffic in this pace right now, regardless of whether you have an IDN or not.