IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > IDN Domain Registration

IDN Domain Registration Discussion for registering IDN domain names.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th April 2007, 01:58 PM

zhou is an unknown quantity at this point
sex.biz(chinese idn)

xn--qi7c1aq.biz
Registrar: domainsite.com
Expires in: April 2008

TQ

Last edited by zhou; 27th April 2007 at 02:16 PM..
Old 27th April 2007, 02:06 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: sex.biz(chinese idn)

L@@Ks like somebody has found a phishing loophole.

Google is treating this as Latin and so is Wikipedia, but the are not standard Latin as they would not need to be IDN and all and obviously this would have already gone if where Latin.

Are they Phonetics?

Has ICANN screwed up again, or are they just going to delete these altogother when Nameprep gets up dated?

Interestingly there are no whois records for the Verisign equivalents!

I guess that is what Neustar meant about a more culturally sympathetic policy or whatever it was they were twittering on about.
I think it was double speak for not being able to handle the necessary encoding to the job properly!

I am also wondering what the F*ck that says about Mozilla's anti-phishing policy. F*cking laughable from where I am standing!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 27th April 2007 at 02:16 PM..
Old 27th April 2007, 02:25 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Don't list phishing domains...
Old 27th April 2007, 02:44 PM

edit TQ

Last edited by zhou; 27th April 2007 at 02:58 PM..
Old 27th April 2007, 02:50 PM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhou
Taking offers from 100$
Paypal Balance only.
The only offer you'll get for trying to sell phishing domains here is a permanent ban.
Old 27th April 2007, 02:55 PM

sorry
Old 27th April 2007, 04:04 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
L@@Ks like somebody has found a phishing loophole.

Google is treating this as Latin and so is Wikipedia, but the are not standard Latin as they would not need to be IDN and all and obviously this would have already gone if where Latin.

I am also wondering what the F*ck that says about Mozilla's anti-phishing policy. F*cking laughable from where I am standing!

This is a serious security bug in IDN parsing code, which could facilitate identity theft. I suggest moving this to the member's section or removing the thread so the search engines don't get it.

I have already reported a critical security bug concerning this to mozilla.org and it is being investigated.

I won't bother reporting to microsoft since I don't have a microsoft machine with which to confirm this, and Rhys can do it easier than I can. Rhys, if you're reading... report a bug to the IE team.

Old 27th April 2007, 04:11 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
This is a serious security bug in IDN parsing code, which could facilitate identity theft. I suggest moving this to the member's section or removing the thread so the search engines don't get it.

I have already reported a critical security bug concerning this to mozilla.org and it is being investigated.

I won't bother reporting to microsoft since I don't have a microsoft machine with which to confirm this, and Rhys can do it easier than I can. Rhys, if you're reading... report a bug to the IE team.

Not sure I agree with your interpretation, but it is clearly a serious problem.

I have already contacted Mozilla and DNJournal over the issue.

My interpretation was that it was a mistake in the way that Neustar have implemented dot Biz, but I am not a technical person, so there is plenty of scope for error on that one.
Old 27th April 2007, 04:21 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Not sure I agree with your interpretation, but it is clearly a serious problem.

I have already contacted Mozilla and DNJournal over the issue.

My interpretation was that it was a mistake in the way that Neustar have implemented dot Biz, but I am not a technical person, so there is plenty of scope for error on that one.
You may be right and I may be wrong. However, I can conceive of a scenario where this could facilitate identity theft. I won't go into it here, publicly.

However, Mozilla team claim that they are fully compliant with the IDN standard and that this is expected behaviour - these sort of strings are supposed to be normalized to ascii by nameprep before sending the DNS resolution request.

Old 27th April 2007, 04:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
You may be right and I may be wrong. However, I can conceive of a scenario where this could facilitate identity theft. I won't go into it here, publicly.

However, Mozilla team claim that they are fully compliant with the IDN standard and that this is expected behaviour - these sort of strings are supposed to be normalized to ascii by nameprep before sending the DNS resolution request.

I would tend to agree with Mozilla, but as this is an IDN and not an ASCII domain it should not be allowed to be registered and also it should not be White Listed by Mozilla. Just because Neustar has an Anti-Phishing policy, it doesn't mean they have a clue what they are doing, and just because Verisign hasn't published one it does mean that they are somehow less competitant than any bloody cowboy registry that comes along. Mozilla ought to leave policy issues to ICANN who despite all the negative comment understand them much better than Mozilla.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 27th April 2007 at 05:14 PM..
Old 27th April 2007, 06:22 PM

Fullwidth Latin Small Letter
Old 27th April 2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhou
Fullwidth Latin Small Letter
Perhaps one of the worse things for you, the registrant, is that clicking a link / pasting this domain will take you to someone else's site (unless you also happen to own sex.biz).

Bizarre...

Old 27th April 2007, 07:01 PM

this is bug! From now on will be able to revise this mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Don't list phishing domains...
sorry,sex.biz is not phishing domain.
over

Last edited by zhou; 27th April 2007 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost