IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th April 2007, 05:21 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough
Pointless thread, but wow: Everything's Gone!

I am still trying to fresh reg, but it's not as easy as it was in September!

I started a little later than most here and found a LOT of fresh regs that were still available in September... but now... NOTHING.

I'll get lucky once in a while, but seriously, everything is gone. Even crap terms.

I've tried this across a majority of languages: Arabic, Hebrew, Russian, Chinese, and Japanese.

I even tried to get into some other languages, but a lot of those are gone also!

So is it just a waiting game now? The progress since October is amazing... seriously I feel like every month is a new milestone crossed.

Just wondering if anyone else is still fresh reg'in (other than .biz!... i'm talking about .com/.net!) ??

Useless thread, but that's what boredom does.
Old 27th April 2007, 05:29 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Re: Pointless thread, but wow: Everything's Gone!

Congrats on your 500th post

Im afraid the window is about to shut ! Congrats to all the Soldiers or Moonies as some say.
Old 27th April 2007, 05:38 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
Congrats on your 500th post

Im afraid the window is about to shut ! Congrats to all the Soldiers or Moonies as some say.

Exactly. (Thanks for the Congrats ). The window is truly about to shut, great way to put it.

I was wondering if I should even go back and pick up some of my scraps that I left behind! (Although 90% of those were picked up in March!)
Old 27th April 2007, 05:41 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

We few, we happy few, we band of Moonies;
For he today that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now abed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day. (IV, iii)
Old 27th April 2007, 05:53 PM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm still fresh regging a small number of domains on a regular basis. The best stuff was gone long ago - true.

These days I'm registering generic consumer goods and services, 2-word combos that fit some pattern I like, names of common household items, .nets backing up .coms that I really like and, as always, some garbage that shouldn't be regged at all.
Old 27th April 2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw
I'm still fresh regging a small number of domains on a regular basis. The best stuff was gone long ago - true.

These days I'm registering generic consumer goods and services, 2-word combos that fit some pattern I like, names of common household items, .nets backing up .coms that I really like and, as always, some garbage that shouldn't be regged at all.

I keep telling myself to stop checking words, but I can't help it!

I always remember idns signature " Take the change while you still can, " LOL. Somene rent his sig space so he can remove it!
Old 27th April 2007, 06:19 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

I still picked up some gems this month in .com/.net/.jp (in Japanese of course). But it is slow going, I don't spend much time on regging anymore. .BIZ was a brief exception, 48 hours of fun.
Old 27th April 2007, 06:22 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
I still picked up some gems this month in .com/.net/.jp (in Japanese of course). But it is slow going, I don't spend much time on regging anymore. .BIZ was a brief exception, 48 hours of fun.
Heh! Did you even bother to sleep at all?

Old 27th April 2007, 06:27 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Heh! Did you even bother to sleep at all?

Actually, I slept like a baby. I was most unsettled in the first hour of the opening of JP .biz when I was trapped in a business meeting and dying to go home!
Old 27th April 2007, 09:12 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200
..everything is gone. Even crap terms..
this simply just isn't true.

What does "everything" mean?

Single nouns?
Combinations with high ovt, google trends, bids?

Think what you are saying, our ascii cousins have been regging for a decade in one language - and yes undoubtedly most fresh reg ascii's are extremely speculative/rubbish - but they won't all be.

so you really think everything of value today/tomorrow has been regged by a minority in dozens of languages in such a short time? thats just silly

Maybe your acceptance criteria is just too high. there a tons of good brandable names, and tons of combos with good ovt and bids that are paying *now* on adsense sites i put recently. These are .com's i regged recently.

If you are determined to find names to reg, then you just need to spend longer looking or use more advanced techniques.
Old 27th April 2007, 09:25 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
this simply just isn't true.

What does "everything" mean?

Single nouns?
Combinations with high ovt, google trends, bids?

Think what you are saying, our ascii cousins have been regging for a decade in one language - and yes undoubtedly most fresh reg ascii's are extremely speculative/rubbish - but they won't all be.

so you really think everything of value today/tomorrow has been regged by a minority in dozens of languages in such a short time? thats just silly

Maybe your acceptance criteria is just too high. there a tons of good brandable names, and tons of combos with good ovt and bids that are paying *now* on adsense sites i put recently. These are .com's i regged recently.

If you are determined to find names to reg, then you just need to spend longer looking or use more advanced techniques.
CAPTAIN SAVE THE WORLD SHHHHHHH! :p
Old 27th April 2007, 09:26 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
And don't forget to recommend all newcomers to stick to the secondary market :-)

Old 27th April 2007, 09:29 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
And don't forget to recommend all newcomers to stick to the secondary market :-)

lol

actually i'd recommend that a newcomer have a 2 prong strategy of acquire in the secondary market while also picking up a shovel and digging deep for fresh regs.
Old 27th April 2007, 09:30 PM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

It is getting more difficult, even when you lower your standards. Tons of great domain names in dot net are still out there. I just can't stomach those yet.... Once in a while, but not often, I will reg one.
Old 27th April 2007, 09:35 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

How about the drops?

I plan to restart my spider script one of these days to check if people have dropped anything good. Have you? LOL
Old 27th April 2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:

That might be it. But it seems someone came in around February/March and just swept up the last of what I consider "good" terms (at least in Arabic...)

There are probably still some gems out there, but boy are they getting hard to find.
Old 27th April 2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose
How about the drops?

I plan to restart my spider script one of these days to check if people have dropped anything good. Have you? LOL
Stop playing unfair LOL !
Old 27th April 2007, 09:50 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
Stop playing unfair LOL !
Well once the traffic starts to take off the Kiters will take the lot anyway, IDN or no IDN, they won't give a damn.
Old 28th April 2007, 01:29 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Traffic is happening. I am having my best PPC month ever. Russian, Swedish, Polish, French, and Spanish are leading the pack with record numbers. Russian, Swedish, and Polish have always done well but now things are moving along.

I have been buying Japanese IDNs on the secondary market for the last few months because it is hard to find new regs. I have regged very few recently.
Old 28th April 2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
Traffic is happening. I am having my best PPC month ever. Russian, Swedish, Polish, French, and Spanish are leading the pack with record numbers. Russian, Swedish, and Polish have always done well but now things are moving along.

I have been buying Japanese IDNs on the secondary market for the last few months because it is hard to find new regs. I have regged very few recently.

Traffic is up. You gettin anything in the XXX range/month? Anyone getting anything in the XXXX?

Just wondering if the portfolio as a WHOLE is up... like names that never got traffic now do etc. I want to sell some off due to some stupid mistakes I made using my Visa, but damn! It's so hard to tell!

At this point I'm 99% sure I will re-reg 99% of everything I have.