IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd May 2007, 08:48 AM

alex is an unknown quantity at this point
Microsoft hints at Internet Explorer 8

Microsoft drops hints about Internet Explorer 8

Quote:
Despite continued criticism over the slow development of IE 7, it is clear that Microsoft isn't ignoring the browser any more. A timeline for the release of IE 8 isn't available yet, but Microsoft is hinting that there will be at least another year of development, which would make it approximately 18 months after the release of IE 7.
Old 3rd May 2007, 08:51 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Microsoft hints at Internet Explorer 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex

8 is a lucky number in China, they should skip 7 and go for 8 directly for the chinese version.
Old 3rd May 2007, 12:33 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

As long as they fix the problem where my IE7 browser crashes virtually 50% of the time, then I am all for IE8.

Alex

Old 3rd May 2007, 12:40 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd
As long as they fix the problem where my IE7 browser crashes virtually 50% of the time, then I am all for IE8.

Alex

btw, i just managed to rid myself of IE7 by using that Stuffplug3 hack for my MSN. Now MSN opens using the default browser - firefox!

I'm now only using IE if the site is not firefox compatible.
Old 3rd May 2007, 12:43 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
btw, i just managed to rid myself of IE7 by using that Stuffplug3 hack for my MSN. Now MSN opens using the default browser - firefox!

I'm now only using IE if the site is not firefox compatible.
it is a little worrying that at one time we put all our hopes & dreams into the release of IE7, and when it got here it turned out to be a damp fart
Old 3rd May 2007, 12:52 PM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been running IE7 for a few months now, and have had no troubles with it at all.

Hopefully this will prove to be the rule rather than the exception in the long run...
Old 3rd May 2007, 12:55 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo
I've been running IE7 for a few months now, and have had no troubles with it at all.

Hopefully this will prove to be the rule rather than the exception in the long run...
well i remember reading a while ago that M$ said there would be compatibility issues with some websites, as for once they have grabbed the bull by the horns and supposedly plugged a lot of the security hole - the downside to this is that older generation websites and apps may fall over.

long term it has to be a good thing.
Old 3rd May 2007, 01:18 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo

I seem to encounter more problems with IE7 all the time. Half the sites on the web do not seem to be IE7 compatible.

I think a lot of Firefox's recent success can be attributed to people being Auto Updated and then running into problems. The easy answer for most is to just use Firefox.

I think if you check carefully there is something on the Homepage of this site that is not fully IE7 compatible. I always get error on page in IE7 but never any error statements for Firefox.
Old 3rd May 2007, 02:19 PM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

And we cannot control that. All I can say is that we need to make sure OUR sites don't crash it and that OUR sites show up in it. The rest is out of our control.

I am thrilled with IE7 because it is IDN-compatible and acts just like FF most of the time. IE6 crashed more often than my IE7. And did I mention that I can see IDNs without a plug-in? Hoorah!