IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2007, 12:52 PM

L@@K is an unknown quantity at this point
That's not a big secret so...

Hi all,

ok, I'm tired !
Kaput ! Finish ! KO !

Could anyone explain me why there's so much expired .info since July/August 2006 please ?

9 months I run for them ! Grrrh!

I think you all seen these, so it's not a big secret.
I personnaly have got a big list in all langage...

For example:

mortgages.info
Domain Name:MORTGAGES.INFO
Created On:31-Jul-2001 17:17:35 UTC
Last Updated On:19-May-2006 10:52:31 UTC
Expiration Date:31-Jul-2006 17:17:35 UTC

motorcycle.info
Domain Name:MOTORCYCLE.INFO
Created On:25-Jul-2001 18:44:43 UTC
Last Updated On:04-Feb-2002 05:48:12 UTC
Expiration Date:25-Jul-2006 18:44:43 UTC

immobilier.info
Domain Name:IMMOBILIER.INFO
Created On:15-Aug-2001 00:56:43 UTC
Last Updated On:12-Oct-2001 02:00:35 UTC
Expiration Date:15-Aug-2006 00:56:43 UTC

There's so much examples !

Some works ok, immobilier.info is a parking page but expired since 9 months ! :o

I thought some trademark but some are not trademarked...

So please, what happens ?

Thanks !
Old 5th May 2007, 01:25 PM

lipps is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: That's not a big secret so...

Here is my thoughts on English domains.
Tax time is April. Tax refunds come back May and June.
Many novice domainers use tax checks to break into the "million dollar domain business" looking for a good word.
they buy them try and park them and sell but realize that the money dosent come rolling in so they let them drop.
Every year around this time there is a large rush to buy domains. 1 year later after the expiered and deleted dates domains drop as people realize there is alot more to do with it than just buying a domain.

Obviously I suck at idns but for english names here is what I can say.
Look for any 2 character domain. buy it and keep it
Look for 3 character .coms best are LLL and LLN and NNN buy them and keep LNL and NLL are only valuing at $200 to $800 now. N-N L-N L_L are still up in the air. I own several. Personally with only 256 available I think they have a very high value but are hard to market. I was offered $2000 for one of my N-N the first day I aquired it at half the cost. I did not take it.

.mobi? its still too early to say most are gone especially in the Japanese market for IDN's

.info keep only the ones that actually can be used to post a page about the information of the keyword. It should be a very good keyword as well.
Only buy LLL .nets or a dot net keyword high enough to have value even though there is a .com above it.
Many people disagree but for .coms find hyphenated domains of high value. Who can argue that Arizona-law.com is not a good domain?
Old 5th May 2007, 02:46 PM

Question Re: That's not a big secret so...

ok , just to be more explicit:
Expired since 9 months ! :o
Old 5th May 2007, 03:21 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps
Many novice domainers use tax checks to break into the "million dollar domain business" looking for a good word.
they buy them try and park them and sell but realize that the money dosent come rolling in so they let them drop.
Every year around this time there is a large rush to buy domains. 1 year later after the expiered and deleted dates domains drop as people realize there is alot more to do with it than just buying a domain.

Look for 3 character .coms best are LLL and LLN and NNN buy them and keep LNL and NLL are only valuing at $200 to $800 now. N-N L-N L_L are still up in the air. I own several. Personally with only 256 available I think they have a very high value but are hard to market. I was offered $2000 for one of my N-N the first day I aquired it at half the cost. I did not take it.

.mobi? its still too early to say most are gone especially in the Japanese market for IDN's

.info keep only the ones that actually can be used to post a page about the information of the keyword. It should be a very good keyword as well.
Only buy LLL .nets or a dot net keyword high enough to have value even though there is a .com above it.
Many people disagree but for .coms find hyphenated domains of high value. Who can argue that Arizona-law.com is not a good domain?

How about L--L? There are also 256.
Old 5th May 2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

To understand what's going on with .info, you need to learn about the way .info was launched.

They gave TM owners first dibbs on EVERYTHING, so naturally lots of people went out and got TM's on generic words, or pretended they had TM's.

.info was inundated and they hadn't budgeted to manually check so may TM's (cost of doing so would put the reg price WAY UP) so anyone who pretended to have a TM, got the name.

Trademark Name:Mortgagesinfo
Trademark Date:1999-07-28
Trademark Country:US
Trademark Number:471722703

bzzzzt - US TM #'s are not 9 digits long

Domain Name:MOTORCYCLE.INFO
Created On:25-Jul-2001 18:44:43 UTC
Last Updated On:04-Feb-2002 05:48:12 UTC
Expiration Date:25-Jul-2006 18:44:43 UTC
Trademark Name:Unknown
Trademark Date:2040-01-02
Trademark Country:UK
Trademark Number:0

TM date 2040?

Trademark Name:immobilier
Trademark Date:1999-12-02
Trademark Country:cz
Trademark Number:39198-85

Since the French are unlikely to award a TM for immobilier, this French guy went and got one in Czech. Or maybe he just made up a number?

There are a lot of .info one word generics that are locked too.

It's a mess.
Old 5th May 2007, 08:19 PM

Whaoow !

Great thank you, Drewbert, for precisions.
Very appreciated, very interesting.

So I can wait again 9 months, lol !

Regards
Old 5th May 2007, 08:32 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Sorry but it is difficult to get excited about three letter combos when holding so many single character dot coms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps

Old 6th May 2007, 01:39 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Sorry but it is difficult to get excited about three letter combos when holding so many single character dot coms.
Only problem with some of them, single character chinese , I can barely give em away.

Did sell a 3 letter ascii for $xx,xxx earlier this year though.
Old 6th May 2007, 05:17 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
Only problem with some of them, single character chinese , I can barely give em away.

Did sell a 3 letter ascii for $xx,xxx earlier this year though.
Aren't there more single chinese characters than 3-letter ASCII combos?
Old 6th May 2007, 05:55 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
Ah so
Old 6th May 2007, 10:56 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
Ah so
Yes, and many of them are meaningless just as are many three letter combos. They only become valuable when several companies or organisations have a potential use for them. Talking about a going rate for three letter combos is nonsense, but so is talking about a going rate for Chinese single characters.

I have to say that if could sell a good three letter combo for $xx,xxx and pick up good chinese single characters for $x,xxx, I would not even hesitate. The three letter market is quite mature, and possibly a little hyped, by comparison there is still massive potential in the single chinese character market if you have the right ones.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 6th May 2007 at 11:46 AM..
Old 6th May 2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Yes, and many of them are meaningless just as are many three letter combos. They only become valuable when several companies or organisations have a potential use for them. Talking about a going rate for three letter combos is nonsense, but as talking about a going rate for Chinese single characters is.

I have to say that if could sell a good three letter combo for $xx,xxx and pick up good chinese single characters for $x,xxx, I would not even hesitate. The three letter market is quite mature, and possibly a little hyped, by comparison there is still massive potential in the single chinese character market if you have the right ones.
Does it not come down as to what is perceived as a good domain. Even with ascii english there are sales of names for $xxxx that I would not have paid reg fee for.

The problem is compunded when a a new unfamiliar language is introduced to the equation. Thus the chances of my paying x,xxx for "good" single chinese characters is very small - I , and most here do not know what is good.

What's a good domain name - one that sells! JMO
Old 6th May 2007, 11:52 AM
Veteran

You are correct if you are working on the assumption that your pay back will always come out of the pocket of the biggoted minority in the US.

Let's put it this way.

What do you think NY.com would be worth?

Do you seriously believe that 沪.com is actually worth less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
Does it not come down as to what is perceived as a good domain. Even with ascii english there are sales of names for $xxxx that I would not have paid reg fee for.

The problem is compunded when a a new unfamiliar language is introduced to the equation. Thus the chances of my paying x,xxx for "good" single chinese characters is very small - I , and most here do not know what is good.

What's a good domain name - one that sells! JMO

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 6th May 2007 at 12:17 PM..
Old 6th May 2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
You are correct if you are working on the assumption that your pay back will always come out of the pocket of the biggoted minority in the US.

Lets put it this way.

What do you think NY.com would be worth?

Do you seriously believe that 沪.com is actually worth less?

You obviously have some prolem with the US , I on the other hand am happy to take their money for ascii or IDN.

It is also easy to quote a character that is a prime as opposed to the thousands of others that nobody knows the potential of.

And honestly, at this moment in time I would much rather have NY.com in my portfolio than 沪.com - I would be surprised if many would dispute that.
Old 6th May 2007, 12:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
You obviously have some prolem with the US , I on the other hand am happy to take their money for ascii or IDN.

It is also easy to quote a character that is a prime as opposed to the thousands of others that nobody knows the potential of.

And honestly, at this moment in time I would much rather have NY.com in my portfolio than 沪.com - I would be surprised if many would dispute that.
You are perfectly correct if you are talking about flipping it into the market.

If you had to buy and hold for 10 years one would hope that you attempted to rationalise it bit more thoroughly than what the deaf and blind have to say today.

"If you can't make it here, you can't make it anywhere..." is the one they always quote. Wel, that phrase relates to a Place but it also relates to a Time. The time can probably be associated with New Yorks heyday when they were throwing up Icons like the Empire State Building and the Brooklyn Bridge.

The Time has moved on and so has the place. New York has not been a major driver for the US economy in decades, that accolade passed to LA about a quater of century ago. Internationally, Tokyo has way outstripped New York in the last fifty years, and it is now Shanghai's turn. If you have not understood that Shanghai will outgrow even Tokyo you have understood nothing.

Chinese cities are growing at a phenomenal rate. The land cannot provide the increased standards of living people are looking for. Increasing standards of living means increasing Urbanisation. The Migration down the Yantze to Shanghai can only increase exponentially as things progress.

The problem with many of the so called top economists in the west is that they look at things pretty much in one dimension. The classic thing is to an economy with it own official internal growth rate and use that to project forward. They even do it with Cities. There are many factors coming into play here. Firstly the official statistics are wrong because they only count what they count. There is much more economic activity in developing nations that simply isn't counted. It is either in the black or barter economy or it simply relates to sectors that the government doesn't collect statistics on.

Next there is the currency dimension. Some western economist are already waking up to the fact that Yuan could be revalued by 500% by 2020. That will kind of make a bit of an impact on how the rest of the World perceives China, especially if the US ends up going there cap in hand for emergency loans, which is looking increasingly likely.

Then there is the Urbanisation aspect. Those hundreds of millions of peasants aren't going to be peasants much longer. They will become factory and office workers. They will have mortguages and cars, and great deal of them will live in cities like Shanghai. By 2020 the populations of some of these cities could have doubled or even trebled.

It might be reassuring for the US to hark back to the early part of the 20th Century by reminiscing over Frank Sanatra, but it isn't going to have any real impact on the decline of New York as a global trade centre.

Ten years out, the guy that opts for NY.com is going to look pretty dumb.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 6th May 2007 at 01:23 PM..
Old 6th May 2007, 02:42 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
..Ten years out, the guy that opts for NY.com is going to look pretty dumb.
what a load of old twoddle

I'd take NY .com and yeah you come back in 10 years time, see if I am feeling dumb. I'd be feeling rich and happy, not sure about dumb.

really RD, i know you're making a point about the maybe

but in all honestly any right minded person would take a f-in good ascii that pays today, over a potential idn that might pay huge in the future
Old 6th May 2007, 03:02 PM
Veteran

Yes, of course the potential revenue in the interim is of value which is why the NY.com could be flipped today for a lot more money than the Shanghai domain.

I will stick by my guns though on what will be worth more in 10years time. This is about more than whether IDN will be adopted, which for China is frankly a complete no-brainer. We are talking about 90% of the market in probably as little as 12 months now. It is also about changing World Order. Most of the new capital investment of America's high-tech companies is now being made in China and India, not the US. New York was a major sea port when the bulk of World Trade was done between Europe and North America, in an era when you couldn't even go by aeroplane.

Now China is everyone's biggest trading partner, not just the US but also Japan and Australia. Probably Europe as well if the truth were known.

Do you really think people are going to be shipping goods to Europe from the Far East via New York. Is New York really going to be the financial centre of the World going forward, when the coffers are empty and the Green Back is a junk bond?

Why is the US so concerned about Chinese Military spending. As a proportion of its GDP it is a lot less than the US. The reason is not so much Military as financial. The bottom line is that US already knows that it cannot finance its existing Military commitments which are around 6% of GDP. Just as Russia before it, it cannot afford an Arms Race in the Far East.

America is no longer the World's only super-power. It is only currently able to make that claim because its position is flattered by a currency that has only held steady because of it role as the World's reserve currency. That era is coming to an end and the US is going to have to justify its existence on the basis of what it can bring to the market, the same as every other nation. The truth is the unsustainably high value of the dollar is actually killing America's competitive postion in the World. They are going to have to come up with something better than fizzy sugary water than is blazoned on bill-boards in every town and city in the World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale

I'd take NY .com and yeah you come back in 10 years time, see if I am feeling dumb. I'd be feeling rich and happy, not sure about dumb.

but in all honestly any right minded person would take a f-in good ascii that pays today, over a potential idn that might pay huge in the future

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 6th May 2007 at 03:07 PM..
Old 6th May 2007, 03:37 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru

If you know chinese language, you won't compare most single characters with 3-letter or single 1-letter ascii combos.

Firstly, chinese characters are complete words, and not letters.

Secondly, a single character has only 1 sound, and many characters share the same sound/tone (for mandarin), and to avoid confusion, commonly used words often use double characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_language

Quote:
Morphology

Chinese morphology is strictly bound to a set number of syllables with a fairly rigid construction which are the morphemes, the smallest building blocks, of the language. Some of these single-syllable morphemes can stand alone as individual words, but contrary to what is often claimed, Chinese is not a monosyllabic language. Most words in the modern Chinese spoken varieties are in fact multisyllabic, consisting of more than one morpheme, usually two, but there can be three or more.

The confusion arises in how one thinks about the language. In the Chinese writing system, each individual single-syllable morpheme corresponds to a single character, referred to as a zì (字). Most Chinese speakers think of words as being zì, but this view is not entirely accurate. Many words are multisyllabic, and are composed of more than one zì. This composition is what is known as a cí (词/詞), and more closely resembles the traditional Western definition of a word. However, the concept of cí was historically a technical linguistic term that until only the past century, the average Chinese speaker was not aware of. Even today, most Chinese speakers think of words as being zì. This can be illustrated in the following Mandarin Chinese sentence (romanized using pinyin):

Jīguāng, zhè liǎng ge zì shì shénme yìsi?

激光, 這兩個字是什麼意思?

激光, 这两个字是什么意思?

The sentence literally translates to, "Jī 激 and guāng 光, these two zì 字, what do they mean?" However, the more natural English translation would probably be, "Laser, this word, what does it mean?" Even though jīguāng 激光 is a single word, speakers tend to think of its constituents as being separate (Ramsey, 1987).

Old Chinese and Middle Chinese had many more monosyllabic words due to greater variability in possible sounds. The modern Chinese varieties lost many of these sound distinctions, leading to homonyms in words that were once distinct. Multisyllabic words arose in order to compensate for this loss. Most natively derived multisyllabic words still feature these original monosyllabic morpheme roots. Many Chinese morphemes still have associated meaning, even though many of them no longer can stand alone as individual words. This situation is analogous to the use of the English prefix pre-. Even though pre- can never stand alone by itself as an individual word, it is commonly understood by English speakers to mean "before," such as in the words predawn, previous, and premonition.

Taking the previous example, jīguāng, jī and guāng literally mean "stimulated light," resulting in the meaning, "laser." However, jī is never found as a single word by itself, because there are too many other morphemes that are also pronounced in the same way. For instance, the morphemes that correspond to the meanings "chicken" 雞/鸡, "machine" 機/机, "basic" 基, "hit" 擊/击, "hunger" 饑/饥, and "product (of multiplication)" 積/积 are also pronounced jī in Mandarin. It is only in the context of other morphemes that an exact meaning of a zì can be known. In certain ways, the logographic writing system helps to reinforce meaning in zì that are homophonous, since even though several morphemes may be pronounced the same way, they are written using different characters. Continuing with the example, we have:
Pinyin Traditional Characters Simplified Characters Meaning
jīguāng 激光 激光 laser ("stimulated light")
jīqǐ 激起 激起 to arouse ("stimulated rise")
jīdàn 雞蛋 鸡蛋 chicken egg
gōngjī 公雞 公鸡 rooster ("male chicken")
fēijī 飛機 飞机 aeroplane ("flying machine")
jīqiāng 機槍 机枪 machine gun

For this reason, it is very common for Mandarin speakers to put characters in context as a natural part of conversation. For example, when telling each other their names (which are often rare, or at least non-colloquial, combinations of zì), Mandarin speakers often state which words their names are found in. As a specific example, a speaker might say 名字叫嘉英,嘉陵江的嘉,英國的英 Míngzi jiào Jiāyīng, Jiālíngjiāng de jiā, Yīngguó de yīng "My name is Jiāyīng, the Jia of Jialing River and the Ying in England."

The problem of homonyms also exists but is less severe in southern Chinese varieties like Cantonese and Taiwanese, which preserved more of the rimes of Middle Chinese. For instance, the previous examples of jī for "stimulated," "chicken," and "machine" have distinct pronunciations in Cantonese (romanized using jyutping): gik1, gai1, and gei1, respectively. For this reason, southern varieties tend to employ fewer multisyllabic words.

There are a few morphemes in Chinese, many of them loanwords, that consist of more than one syllable. These words cannot be further divided into single-syllable meaningful units, however in writing each syllable is still written as separate zì. One example is the word for "spider," zhīzhū, which is written as 蜘蛛. Even in this case, Chinese tend to try to make some kind of meaning out of the constituent syllables. For this reason, the two characters 蜘 and 蛛 each have an associated meaning of "spider" when seen alone as individual characters. When spoken though, they can never occur apart.
Old 6th May 2007, 03:40 PM
Veteran

Yes, that may be so, but how many people actually say I am going to NY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale

If you are looking for right minded people then look no further than Sedo Auction:

televìsion.com 800 $US 1

yooutube.com 3,800 EUR 14

webmasters.cn 650 $US 1

forbesmobile.com 2,000 $US 1

Guessing what crap some of these self-styled domainers will buy is pretty tough at times!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 6th May 2007 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 6th May 2007, 11:41 PM

Currently I would prefer to be the owner of these:

televìsion.com 800 $US 1

yooutube.com 3,800 EUR 14

webmasters.cn 650 $US 1

forbesmobile.com 2,000 $US 1

Than the owner of these:

人才.tw talent xn--gmq009b.tw Google TW 136 m

食物.tw food xn--g2x933f.tw Google TW 36million

我的.tw my xn--wnu286b.tw Google TW 96 million

孩子.tw child xn--i8s1b.tw Google TW 101 million

女孩.tw girl xn--vuso9b.tw Google TW 18 million