IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th May 2007, 12:21 AM

xxbossmanxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to xxbossmanxx Send a message via MSN to xxbossmanxx Send a message via Skype™ to xxbossmanxx
Who has Vietnamese names? Wazzup with them?

Hey all,

So I have maybe 40 Vietnamese domains in my portfolio. With the help of a vietnamese friend and some luck I was able to lock down some real winners.

The luck part is what I wonder about. This language seemed to be one of the lesser picked over ones even though Vietnam has a massive wave of net users coming online as we speak.

So what is the deal? Anybody know anything about vietnamese IDN?
Old 15th May 2007, 12:37 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Who has Vietnamese names? Wazzup with them?

Mine get a little traffic parked, I have only a few of them - mostly city or province names. The traffic is a recent phenomenon 2+ months old.
Old 15th May 2007, 01:26 AM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point

shhhh - keep it quiet bossman. I still have a long list of leftover generic dictionary words that I've been sitting on for almost a year now. 90% were still available as of last month! It seems equitron only had an abridged dictionary....

Last edited by mdw; 15th May 2007 at 01:38 AM..
Old 15th May 2007, 02:19 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

I like 'em too.

The quick and dirty, as I see it:

- ~100mm population
- low GDP and low online pop, but will benefit from Chinese tourism and direct investment
- 1mm population in the US
- top IDN in .com.vn taken
- no reliance on D-whatever-you-call-it

- oh yeah, no plurals either

Last edited by gammascalper; 15th May 2007 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 15th May 2007, 05:13 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Better to focus on chinese and japanese names, you still can buy good names for like $20-$30 off the secondary market.

IDNs are a medium to long term game, it's not like dot mobi where you reg and flip the next mth. If you register any name, be prepared to renew at least 5 times.
Old 15th May 2007, 06:33 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Are they really any good? I avoided 'nam domains for several reasons. One was the economy. One was the population. Also, our country restricts commerce with them to such a degree that I didn't want to mess with it. No comments on that, please. We will not agree, we will agree to disagree.

I did my bit with two Georgian domains ვიდეო.com (video) and ქალები.com (women) and a few single characters. They do much better as a portfolio than my Chinese or Japanese names.
Old 15th May 2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
Are they really any good? I avoided 'nam domains for several reasons. One was the economy. One was the population. Also, our country restricts commerce with them to such a degree that I didn't want to mess with it. No comments on that, please. We will not agree, we will agree to disagree.
Sorry burns - i can't resist. Economy is growing and it is the frontier the Chinese will go to after China. Population is quite large. And the US has already normalized relations with Viet Nam no?
Old 15th May 2007, 08:24 AM

No problem. Vietnam is still a sore spot with Americans (including this old American). Too many dead, tortured, missing relatives. Thanks for keeping off that subject. I wish you well with your Vietnamese domains.
Old 15th May 2007, 09:15 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbossmanxx
Hey all,

So I have maybe 40 Vietnamese domains in my portfolio. With the help of a vietnamese friend and some luck I was able to lock down some real winners.

The luck part is what I wonder about. This language seemed to be one of the lesser picked over ones even though Vietnam has a massive wave of net users coming online as we speak.

So what is the deal? Anybody know anything about vietnamese IDN?

I managed to get a really novel one. Thanks for your inspiration, Bossman.

cơm.com (xn--cm-2ya.com)

What does it mean? It is a vietnamese term for "rice". Viet Nam is the second largest exporter of rice in the world.

Rice.com in vietnamese... Sedo here I come :-)

Old 15th May 2007, 02:27 PM

jacksonm - I think gạo is the primary term for rice, gone to equitron

Vietnam economy is red hot, growing at a faster clip than China's. And yes as trade relations have been normalized. Even being a communist country I would expect huge inflows of investment capital in the coming years. If they can keep the economy from overheating, and don't do anything dramatic they should see double-digit economic growth for several years.

Last edited by mdw; 15th May 2007 at 02:43 PM..
Old 15th May 2007, 03:35 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw
jacksonm - I think gạo is the primary term for rice, gone to equitron

"gạo", "lúa", and "cơm" all mean rice in vietnamese. From what I can gather, "cơm" is the term which restaurants use, while "gạo" and "lúa" are the terms which farmers use.

It doesn't matter if it's primary or what, this is a damned cool IDN in my opinion, and it is most definitely legit with 840k google results and 9k images :-)

I also got "lúa" , which means rice in vietnamese and moon in portuguese (I believe). Double bonus :-)

Old 15th May 2007, 04:16 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
"gạo", "lúa", and "cơm" all mean rice in vietnamese. From what I can gather, "cơm" is the term which restaurants use, while "gạo" and "lúa" are the terms which farmers use.

It doesn't matter if it's primary or what, this is a damned cool IDN in my opinion, and it is most definitely legit with 840k google results and 9k images :-)

I also got "lúa" , which means rice in vietnamese and moon in portuguese (I believe). Double bonus :-)

I got ข้าว.com which is the *only* word for rice in Thailand, the world's biggest rice exporter
Old 15th May 2007, 04:24 PM

xxbossmanxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to xxbossmanxx Send a message via MSN to xxbossmanxx Send a message via Skype™ to xxbossmanxx

I'm happy with my names. I got them all like 8 months ago and some are incredible. I locked down about 90% of all card games they play, some major generics etc. Should be worth something someday.
Old 15th May 2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
I got ข้าว.com which is the *only* word for rice in Thailand, the world's biggest rice exporter
Does it get any traffic?

Old 15th May 2007, 04:41 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Does it get any traffic?

Nope, but it wouldn't, as it isn't really a search term. But then again, even top Thai search terms hardly get any type-in traffic yet. Thai traffic currently comes from google placement almost exclusively. Doesn't help that only 8% of Thais have IE7 ...
Old 16th May 2007, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
No problem. Vietnam is still a sore spot with Americans (including this old American). Too many dead, tortured, missing relatives.
I guess you have to balance that out against the Agent Orange that is STILL leaching out of the soil into the drinking water, causing deaths and birth defects.

The USA never learns, of course. It's still defoliating large tracts of Colombia using poisonoous chemicals, in the name of the eternal "war on drugs" and is now spreading depleted uranium all over Iraq, in the name of the eternal "war on terror".

That's what happens when your economy is propped up by the war machine, I guess.
Old 16th May 2007, 06:22 AM

Guess bossman is SOL huh - it was a perfectly legit topic for discussion. I enjoy hearing what some of the smart folks around here have to say about Vietnamese domains, availability, the disputed merits of investing in them, etc.

Unfortunately it's hard to get any worthwhile dialog going around here sometimes. Every innocent thread is likely to be hijacked by someone, or by multiple people. Looking at some of the posts I can see there's only a few people actually interested in talking about bossman's post, mostly a lot of folks ready to stomp on someone else's thread in pursuit of their own agendas.

feel free to send your flames this way, the thread is toast anyway
Old 16th May 2007, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Sorry. Burns tried to get the sympathy vote for Americans for what happened in the Vietnam War, without acknowledging the plight the Vietnamese are STILL suffering from US actions.

I can't let stuff like that go by unchallenged.
Old 16th May 2007, 08:17 AM

It's true that war always cuts two ways. Seldom are there victors.

I spent 2 very pleasant weeks in vietnam in 1992 before the US ended isolation. Judging by the industry of the people, its a country whose IDN future I would gladly invest in.
Old 16th May 2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Sorry. Burns tried to get the sympathy vote for Americans for what happened in the Vietnam War, without acknowledging the plight the Vietnamese are STILL suffering from US actions.

I can't let stuff like that go by unchallenged.
Nope, wrong. I just asked you to leave it alone for me. If you want to argue the politics, fine. It is an old tired argument and there are people still suffering on all sides from that war.

Mississippi still suffers from its complete devastation during the US Civil War. I am not asking for sympathy for them, either.

Our soldiers were sent to Vietnam and they did what soldiers do. So did the French and the rest. Same with Mississippi, Iraq, Bosnia, France, Germany, Japan, etc.