IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > Search Engine Optimization : SEO

Search Engine Optimization : SEO SEO techniques & discussion for IDN Domains.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th May 2007, 11:36 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
SEO Magic

Are a lot of us missing out on the big one here?

Is Page Rank in the likes of Baidu, Yandex and yes even Local Versions of Yahoo, and perhaps even Google very much down to IP localisation.

Does the first three digits of your IP address affect your search engine ranking?

Is local hosting or at least local proxy the big issue here?

If so what works well and where? Do you need to be in hosted in Japan for Japanese or is anywhere in the Far East good enough? Do you need Russian hosting for Russian domains?

Will JacksonM's scheme work because it will overcome search prejudices. Should he be running something similar for mini-sites as well?

As I have been told before, I know f*ck all about SEO, so please educate me!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 18th May 2007 at 11:57 AM..
Old 18th May 2007, 12:13 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: SEO Magic

I'm curious about the answer for everywhere else. But for the moment in Japan, all you have to do is develop the site with a few pages of decent content and BOOM there you go. For the moment we don't have to give a s^^t about IP addresses.
Old 18th May 2007, 12:20 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
I'm curious about the answer for everywhere else. But for the moment in Japan, all you have to do is develop the site with a few pages of decent content and BOOM there you go. For the moment we don't have to give a s^^t about IP addresses.
Problem as we know is that Search Algos are quite complexed. This could be OR with say Dot JP domain. So it might be that if have a dot JP you are good. Or a dot com with local hosting, but it could also be that if have dot Com with US hosting you are f*cked. Of course they might apply a whole load of other criteria that I have not thought about that gets you out of jail. But if you are in Jail, is the IP address perhaps a golden key?

Again it could just be part of a weighting system in some cases. So just because you are good, doesn't mean you could not be better.
Old 18th May 2007, 12:58 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had good luck so far with .jp/.com/and .net - we'll see what .biz does for me but I suspect it will work fine too.
Old 18th May 2007, 01:15 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Are a lot of us missing out on the big one here?

Is Page Rank in the likes of Baidu, Yandex and yes even Local Versions of Yahoo, and perhaps even Google very much down to IP localisation.

Does the first three digits of your IP address affect your search engine ranking?

Is local hosting or at least local proxy the big issue here?

If so what works well and where? Do you need to be in hosted in Japan for Japanese or is anywhere in the Far East good enough? Do you need Russian hosting for Russian domains?

Will JacksonM's scheme work because it will overcome search prejudices. Should he be running something similar for mini-sites as well?

As I have been told before, I know f*ck all about SEO, so please educate me!

What I have learned so far:

1. If you have a parking page targeting e.g. Japanese or Russian which is indexed by a US search engine spider, half or more of the page will be in English because the geoip location of the parking provider detects the IP location of the spider. This will cause the search engine to classify the page as "not japanese" during a "japanese language only" search, and you will probably see a "translate this page" link in the search engine results. The site will be excluded from search results for e.g. Japanese language only, and probably won't rank high for general search, either.

2. I have been told that Yandex considers sites with non-Russian IP addresses as foreign, regardless of the language the page is written in. I would like to investigate this more in the future.

What I am offering:

1. A free 2 month trial where I will host the DNS for your Japanese domains (extension doesn't matter). I will serve the IP address to human users for your parking provider of choice, or your minisite, configurable on a per-domain basis. I will serve the IP address of my Tokyo proxy to all search engine spiders. The search engine spiders will be forced to see the page as if they really were in Japan, so the page will be indexed as 100% Japanese language.

2. If the Japanese trial is successful, I will also build a proxy in Moscow and do the same thing for Russian language domains.

3. Future value-added services might be:

- DNS query reporting, including geoip information
- who is querying your domains, from where
- attempt to determine if parking providers are cheating you of traffic/clicks

- Functional email forwarding for all domains

- Mini-site hosting in Japan and Russia

NOTE: after the trial, this will be a paid service.

I have a couple of large Japanese players on board already with ~2000 domains to trial, and I expect to begin the trial operations tomorrow. If you are interested in participating, PM me and I'll give you instructions. Right now, the trial is restricted to Japanese language domains.

Old 18th May 2007, 01:21 PM
Veteran

China situation might also be worth investigating.

It is very difficult to do much on mainland China, but for some purposes, I suspect that Taiwan and Hong Kong are treated as China proper but without a lot of the restrictions. I suspect a Hong Kong or a Taiwanese IP might get you into Baidu.
Old 18th May 2007, 03:50 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
China situation might also be worth investigating.

Rome wasn't built in a day! But yes, the major targets seem to be Japan, Russia, and China.

Old 18th May 2007, 06:09 PM

ScottFish is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's what I know about GEO targeting and IP address SEO issues:

- IP address
Having a localized IP address for the country that you want to rank in is somewhat important at the start, however, for larger niche's you will need much more power than just a localized IP address to even break into the top 20 results for, lets say... "real estate".

- ccTLD and other Extension issues
It's strongly recommeneded to use a ccTLD for the country that you want to rank for. Often searchers will go to google.co.uk and check "only results for the UK" - this will pull up only .co.uk domains. So this can give you leg-up in competitive markets. I would say that this is actually more important than the IP address.

Recommendation: Inbound Links vs. Local IP address
I have found that a few strong inbound links from sites with localized IP addresses can achieve the same thing as if your site had a localized IP address. You need links for SEO anyways, so I would recommend focusing on that and hosting your site with a good provider, instead of worrying about a local IP address and having lower quality hosting. * It is important to note that if you are looking at a country like China - there are some Censorship issues that could be dealt with by having a local IP, but for other countries, I don't see too much benefit for competitive keywords.
Old 18th May 2007, 06:19 PM
Veteran

If you are looking to buy online in the UK, it is not helpful having a lot of American Sites which are not going to be able to deliver to you easily. People do use local search and ccTLDs to filter out non-relevant English content from the US.

Many other countries are less likely to have such issues. Germany and France do not have other economies that are many times their size that use the same language, neither do Russia, China or Japan. It is likely to less of an issue for them than it is for us. They will use language to differentiate rather than just extension.

With Arabic countries is going to work at too levels. If you want to market specifically for one ccTLD is going to be very important, if you want to cover all 25 or so then you will need dot com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFish

- ccTLD and other Extension issues
It's strongly recommeneded to use a ccTLD for the country that you want to rank for. Often searchers will go to google.co.uk and check "only results for the UK" - this will pull up only .co.uk domains. So this can give you leg-up in competitive markets. I would say that this is actually more important than the IP address.
Old 18th May 2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFish
Recommendation: Inbound Links vs. Local IP address
I have found that a few strong inbound links from sites with localized IP addresses can achieve the same thing as if your site had a localized IP address. You need links for SEO anyways, so I would recommend focusing on that and hosting your site with a good provider, instead of worrying about a local IP address and having lower quality hosting.

It does make sense. However, what we are mostly talking about here is parking - people who have a thousand or more domains in e.g. Japanese and have not enough time in this lifetime to develop them all :-) They just want to monetize a bit them before they can sell them off to mitigate renewal costs, etc.

Old 18th May 2007, 06:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
It does make sense. However, what we are mostly talking about here is parking - people who have a thousand or more domains in e.g. Japanese and have not enough time in this lifetime to develop them all :-) They just want to monetize a bit them before they can sell them off to mitigate renewal costs, etc.

Hopefully we can monetize them to avoid selling them off to mitigate renewal costs.
Old 18th May 2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Hopefully we can monetize them to avoid selling them off to mitigate renewal costs.
I meant to say "monetize them to mitigate renewal costs, before selling them off". But yes, the best case scenario is that all parked domains would be profitibale - your little employees for life.