IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > IDN Domain Appraisals

IDN Domain Appraisals Appraisals by other members on International domain names.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th May 2007, 11:33 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough
Chinese Appraisal .. please?

Any thoughts on these two domains?

xn--tc0a.com / 絃.com - Strings
xn--0vw.com / 沿.com- Along

I didn't know whether these were single characters or worth it or not.. any opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 22nd May 2007, 01:56 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough
Re: Chinese Appraisal .. please?

No one??
Old 22nd May 2007, 02:52 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200
Any thoughts on these two domains?

xn--tc0a.com / 絃.com - Strings
xn--0vw.com / 沿.com- Along

I didn't know whether these were single characters or worth it or not.. any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Can't actually help and it would appear that most do not know the answer.

Brandable - who knows? I asked about a few of mine, eventually kept the ones that had the most Google results- check both .cn & .jp - not very scientific but may be one way.
Old 22nd May 2007, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
Can't actually help and it would appear that most do not know the answer.

Brandable - who knows? I asked about a few of mine, eventually kept the ones that had the most Google results- check both .cn & .jp - not very scientific but may be one way.
Thanks for the reply Guess I'm going to have keep digging around to find out what I've got!
Old 22nd May 2007, 02:57 AM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

I personally won't reg 絃.com as it is a trad Chinese (and I am not familar with it).
Old 22nd May 2007, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markits
I personally won't reg 絃.com as it is a trad Chinese (and I am not familar with it).
Dropped... I'm just going to keep 沿.com since the .jp is taken.

Thanks for the help guys. Hard to buy stuff blindfolded.
Old 22nd May 2007, 08:38 AM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Markits...

I also guess from my limited knowledge, that traditional versions of single characters are going to be less valuable than simplified versions (as in HK people often search in English - however this trend is slowly changing as the HK younger generations command of English is getting poorer... but in the shorter to mid term therefore, they are more likely to be more useful for the Taiwan market).

Fka200, I just learnt last night from the great replies, on why single character IDNs are bought at all (thanks guys for answering on that) - and now understand that they are generally longer term.... see the domain development if you want to read more... but my guess is you understand already what I have just learnt.

Hence why the late reply to your post - as before I didn't have any idea how to comment (I now understand why people buy single character IDNs - smile)

Cheers - Asiaplay
Old 22nd May 2007, 08:52 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay
however this trend is slowly changing as the HK younger generations command of English is getting poorer... but in the shnrter to mid term therefore, they are more likely to be more useful for the Taiwan market).

This is news to me, although i do know that Mandarin is becoming more important in HK.

I won't be surprised that Mandarin will become the second most important business language in 20 years.
Old 22nd May 2007, 09:47 AM

Hi Touchring,

Personally if someone is doing international business perhaps Mandarin already is (and given it has the largest single number of speakers in the world already, of any language - one could argue it already is from this standpoint as well - smile... haha - who knows)

I agree Mandarin knowledge in HK is increasing quickly (as is English knowledge in China).
It is partly this reason (better Mandarin) and the fact that Chinese (Cantonese - traditional characters) is now the official language used in schools in Hong Kong (when it used to be English based 100%) that is driving this change in English level.

As background, now only a select few schools are allowed to carry on using English as the base educational language - I think it is approximately 20 to 30 something secondary schools that are allowed to use English as the core language of education - the rest have been forced to change to native language education... both ideas have merit... I just hope / wish that the English level remains as good in HK, as the Mandarin level improves (or we will see a disadvantage for HKers as the English level improves just as quickly within China as a whole).

Therefore basically, with the improvement in Mandarin we are unfortunately seeing a decrease in the command of English in Hong Kong.

The traditional characters however are still the core of Chinese characters used in Hong Kong (and I can see this remaining for a long time to come) - however the younger generation will probably be able to read the simplified version perfectly as well... but suspect will still choose to work in traditional character due to them carrying a more full meaning than the simplified ones and do to heritage (with the older generation a lot of people in Taiwan and Hong Kong presently have trouble reading the simplified versions).

Hope comments are interesting and useful - cheers, Asiaplay
Old 22nd May 2007, 10:03 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

I think a Chinese based strategy is better - Chinese is the much more difficult language to master - it will be easy to learn English after that.
Old 22nd May 2007, 10:05 AM

Touchring,

Guess I think China will benefit from this - true... I will say no more..

Cheers, Asiaplay