IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2007, 10:31 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
DNAME mapping for dot NU

The Pinyin "Nu" converts to the character 奴 which means Slave.

Does Dot Slave work for you?
Old 25th May 2007, 11:08 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough
Re: DNAME mapping for dot NU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck

Absolutely, a slave to IDN's' irrespective of extension.

But then I do appreciate that some people have a problem with what others do and subsequently become obsessed with their little hangups.

But that is life - perhaps a "mine is bigger/better" than yours thing. But let them get on with it if it makes them happy!
Old 25th May 2007, 11:14 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Well, it is clear to me that dot NU's success to date has something to do with its phonetic closeness to New or various equivalents in other European languages. These nuances do not necessarily carry over into Asian cultures, and some thought should be given as to whether these extension may or may not be viable. I will leave it to others to make their own judgements on a case by case basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
Absolutely, a slave to IDN's' irrespective of extension.

But then I do appreciate that some people have a problem with what others do and subsequently become obsessed with their little hangups.

But that is life - perhaps a "mine is bigger/better" than yours thing. But let them get on with it if it makes them happy!
Old 25th May 2007, 01:43 PM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

Nu in Pinyin means: 奴 (slave), 努(efforts), 怒(angry), 弩(swords), 驽(old horse), 孥(ofsprings). The first three are common characters and the later three are hard ones.

dname for .nu will be a hard one for Chinese, so is true for many other exts.
Old 25th May 2007, 01:50 PM
Veteran

What you should try to find out is when these places are going to do IDN ccTLDs

Benin
Saint Helena

Quote:
Originally Posted by markits
Nu in Pinyin means: 奴 (slave), 努(efforts), 怒(angry), 弩(swords), 驽(old horse), 孥(ofsprings). The first three are common characters and the later three are hard ones.

dname for .nu will be a hard one for Chinese, so is true for many other exts.
I think even the ASCII version is going to be tough to market there as well!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 25th May 2007 at 01:58 PM..
Old 25th May 2007, 01:58 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I sincerely doubt that many ccTLDs will be DNAME'ed to languages other than the country's native language. I think it would be most likely dot 紐埃 (Niue) or nothing.

Taking the English representation and trying to convert it to Chinese seems very illogical to me.
Old 25th May 2007, 02:03 PM
Veteran

I don't think it is much of a stretch of the imagination to see Chinese people using

IDN.bj or IDN.sh
Old 25th May 2007, 02:13 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
I don't think it is much of a stretch of the imagination to see Chinese people using

IDN.bj or IDN.sh
No, it's not, but only because of the existing .bj.cn and .sh.cn. But when .bj.cn goes to .北京.中国 I', guessing usage of .bj will die out. And I highly doubt that .bj would be DNAME'ed in Chinese to .北京 and not .贝宁

I can see how surfers could end up at .bj instead of .bj.cn by mistake. That in itself may make some business sense for IDN.bj.
Old 25th May 2007, 02:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
No, it's not, but only because of the existing .bj.cn and .sh.cn. But when .bj.cn goes to .北京.中国 I', guessing usage of .bj will die out. And I highly doubt that .bj would be DNAME'ed in Chinese to .北京 and not .贝宁

I can see how surfers could end up at .bj instead of .bj.cn by mistake. That in itself may make some business sense for IDN.bj.
I didn't say I was buying but I would be ten times more likely to take a flutter on these than dot WS or dot NU. If Kevin Han doesn't get there first.
Old 25th May 2007, 04:06 PM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: DNAME mapping for dot NU

Quote:

Damn... and for me that always meant woman in Mandarin or naked in French (and heard means Now in Swedish)... sigh... starts getting kinky when mix with your interpretation - hahaa - and more Japanese perhaps ... (now I know why they ban mixing of languages in lot of IDNs!!!) lol...

:o Asiaplay...