IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names

IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/)
-   域名 (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/%E5%9F%9F%E5%90%8D/)
-   -   IDN available for .cn, .tw, .biz etc. BUT reserved in .com & .net - any ideas why? (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/11362-idn-available-for-cn-tw-biz-etc-but-reserved-in-com-and-net-any-ideas-why.html)

Asiaplay 6th June 2007 05:23 AM

IDN available for .cn, .tw, .biz etc. BUT reserved in .com & .net - any ideas why?

Hi All,

Just came across something seems a little strange... wondering if anyone has had the same and knows why this happened?

I wanted to register 情趣XX.com (XX is two additional characters - which are non-sexual & product based, which I choose not to show here... as I think they do not effect this discussion).

Most IDN registers showed the Chinese IDN I wanted as "taken" - I could find the whois for the .biz & .cn versions which were "taken".
However for .com & .net the whois information turned up no results (even said was able to be registered), so I checked around... doing this I found 3 IDN registration website that would let me register the IDN I wanted.

I went with one of them to see why they would let me register... and after processing this is what I got back...

We sorry to inform you that domain 情趣XX.com is reserved from registration,
Therefore the application have been declined ,
please select other domain name.
The payment transactions will be cancelled.

Ok - this in itself is clear - it is a reserved IDN - but why?.

My question therefore is, why is this reserved when it can be & is already registered as a .cn & .biz Chinese IDN?

Any ideas why different rules on what is reserved (and .com & .net being more restrictive than .cn & .biz)?
Lastly... I have been wondering if this domain is really reserved... or if it is a backorder in process (any thoughts on this)?

Thanks for your replies and apologies if this is an ignorant question - just seems strange to me that it is reserved in two gTLD and not in another gTLD or the ccTLDs).

Cheers, Asiaplay

mulligan 6th June 2007 07:20 AM

Re: IDN available for .cn, .tw, .biz etc. BUT reserved in .com & .net - any ideas why?

Likely because the simplified or traditional version is already registered ... This will return a variant error .. so check your version against the traditional version (or vise versa) and you will probably find it is registered.

Some registrars will instantly check it for its traditional or simplified version and some will check it after you have placed your order.

Asiaplay 6th June 2007 12:29 PM

Re: IDN available for .cn, .tw, .biz etc. BUT reserved in .com & .net - any ideas why

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan
Likely because the simplified or traditional version is already registered ... This will return a variant error .. so check your version against the traditional version (or vise versa) and you will probably find it is registered.

Some registrars will instantly check it for its traditional or simplified version and some will check it after you have placed your order.

Hi Mulligan - thanks for your response...

No - it is not due to this reason... (the characters I was trying to register, are actually identical for traditional and simplified Chinese - so both versions use the same punycode)... they are just not showing up on "whois" at all (or as available for registering - depending which whois I use) - even though being shown as "taken" in dynadot.com and so on.

Which is interesting - as I can see this either means censorship by .com, .net for Chinese IDNs that is more strict than for .cn (which I find as strange)... or perhaps a backorder is in progress... or another reason I can not think of... hence trying to learn... to see if something strange is going on or not?

Any other comments might help me understand and others here learn as well... thanks and cheers, Asiaplay

Drewbert 6th June 2007 06:34 PM

Re: IDN available for .cn, .tw, .biz etc. BUT reserved in .com & .net - any ideas why?

I would be very surprised if .com is censoring.

My guess is there is some obscure variant to one of the characters that someone else has regged already.

Asiaplay 6th June 2007 06:55 PM

Re: IDN available for .cn, .tw, .biz etc. BUT reserved in .com & .net - any ideas why

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewbert
I would be very surprised if .com is censoring.

My guess is there is some obscure variant to one of the characters that someone else has regged already.

Thanks for comments - to be honest no other variant is possible for what I was trying to register (they are clear characters and all used in both simplified & traditional.. and not used in Japanese)

I think I will contact verisign and ask them.
The only other logical possibility which jumps to mind (but is scary as well if it is true) - is that .com uses a more limited list of characters (smaller special character table) than .biz does... which maybe is an historical issue for them due to those being launched as the earlier IDNs for Chinese (in the same way some fonts only cover a small amount of the actual characters used if one is a native user).

Cheers & thanks, Asiaplay

mulligan 6th June 2007 07:05 PM

I would say it is almost certainly a variant error
What are the characters?

IDNCowboy 6th June 2007 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asiaplay
Hi All,

Just came across something seems a little strange... wondering if anyone has had the same and knows why this happened?

I wanted to register 情趣XX.com (XX is two additional characters - which are non-sexual & product based, which I choose not to show here... as I think they do not effect this discussion).

Most IDN registers showed the Chinese IDN I wanted as "taken" - I could find the whois for the .biz & .cn versions which were "taken".
However for .com & .net the whois information turned up no results (even said was able to be registered), so I checked around... doing this I found 3 IDN registration website that would let me register the IDN I wanted.

I went with one of them to see why they would let me register... and after processing this is what I got back...

We sorry to inform you that domain 情趣XX.com is reserved from registration,
Therefore the application have been declined ,
please select other domain name.
The payment transactions will be cancelled.

Ok - this in itself is clear - it is a reserved IDN - but why?.

My question therefore is, why is this reserved when it can be & is already registered as a .cn & .biz Chinese IDN?

Any ideas why different rules on what is reserved (and .com & .net being more restrictive than .cn & .biz)?
Lastly... I have been wondering if this domain is really reserved... or if it is a backorder in process (any thoughts on this)?

Thanks for your replies and apologies if this is an ignorant question - just seems strange to me that it is reserved in two gTLD and not in another gTLD or the ccTLDs).

Cheers, Asiaplay

Sometimes there are more than one variant. I remember .HK providing up to 3-4 variants with your idn registration......

Asiaplay 6th June 2007 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDNCowboy
Sometimes there are more than one variant. I remember .HK providing up to 3-4 variants with your idn registration......

Hi Cowboy,

Please explain a little further if you can.... do you mean use of a hyphen (which I have never seen done yet in Chinese) or something else?

Thanks in advance for your explanation.. cheers, Asiaplay