IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th June 2007, 03:52 PM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up NEW gTLD (IDN) - dot ASIA .asia - IDNs available middle of next year!!! (mid 2008)

Hi All,

.asia (coming soon !!!)

Quote:
ICANN and DotAsia Organisation Sign .ASIA Registry Agreement -- December 7, 2006

ICANN and DotAsia Organisation, the sponsoring organization for the .ASIA top-level domain, announce the signing of the .ASIA Registry Agreement, yesterday 6 December 2006 at the ICANN Annual Meeting in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

On 18 October 2006, the ICANN Board approved the designation of the .ASIA sponsored top-level domain and authorized the President to implement the Agreement. DotAsia is the first gTLD registry with a headquarters in the Asia-Pacific region. (http://www.icann.org/announcements/a...t-07dec06.htm)

Unsure if this has been raised in the forums yet - but it is something worth IDNers here following over the coming year...

I was interested to see that ICANN has approved the setup of the gTLD (global top level domain) dot ASIA / ".asia"
For more information please see:- http://www.iana.org/root-whois/asia.htm

Reading between the lines it appears that the ascii domain versions will be launched around August / September 2007... followed by IDNs around March or perhaps will be more like May 2008.
There are no exact dates yet... but seems will be around these times, if things go as planned.

Interesting as it seems sensible that all Asian & many Pacific Island languages will be represented as IDN options - yes, this means another IDN option for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Hindi, Arabic etc. etc.!!!
I also would expect Search engines in Asia to support this with at least the same level of support they offer to ".com" & maybe even higher... it will be interesting to see later how well it does get supported.

Personally find this very interesting as it is the Asian equivalent of ".eu" for Europe.
Any comments / knowledge from those involved in the .ASIA committee would be appreciated.

Cheers, Asiaplay
Old 6th June 2007, 03:57 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough
Re: NEW gTLD (IDN) - dot ASIA .asia - IDNs available middle of next year!!! (mid 2008)

And I thought .ws was scraping the bottom of the barrel
Old 6th June 2007, 04:15 PM

Re: NEW gTLD (IDN) - dot ASIA .asia - IDNs available middle of next year!!! (mid 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
And I thought .ws was scraping the bottom of the barrel
I actually see it as nothing like .ws or .cc IDNs etc... these are commercial plays with no basis in unifying anything... just a way to make money & something some of us are forced to buy to get a keyword we want... (which is why they are ccTLDs)

However ASIA or domains across a region with an identity do hold a presence I believe.

To be honest - as a marketing person... I prefer .asia, to even other gTLD IDNs like .net, .info, .org, .biz etc. etc. .... if one is looking for a strong Asian based presence & is unable to get the IDNs they want in every Asian country - this is a way to overcome this problem !!!... I wonder how many marketers will think the same way... and what this will mean for those other gTLDs presently being used for Asian languages!!!
Does it mean that we should all be very wary of paying too much for other gTLDs which maybe will be weaker in the future?

Of interest any thoughts on how the .eu domains are viewed by the search engines in each country within Europe (as many of the IDN options are often languages, which also become country specific to a large degree)?
This will pehaps give us an indication of things to come in Asia...
For example do .eu domains which are Italian rank just as high as .it IDNs in Italian SE results and so on for the other Asian languages .eu supports?
Namely does .eu rank higher than other gTLDs / IDNS within European based SE results?

Any comments?
Old 6th June 2007, 04:16 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: NEW gTLD (IDN) - dot ASIA .asia - IDNs available middle of next year!!! (mid 2008

There have been numerous previous threads on the subject.

Use the search function.

If you are genuinely a marketing type person then you will understand that mindshare with your target audience is the key.

This extension's mindshare seems to be based in Middle America somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay
I actually see it as nothing like .ws or .cc IDNs etc... these are commercial plays with no basis in unifying anything... just a way to make money & something some of us are forced to buy to get a keyword we want... (which is why they are ccTLDs)

However ASIA or domains across a region with an identity do hold a presence I believe.

To be honest - as a marketing person... I prefer .asia, to even other gTLD IDNs like .net, .info, .org, .biz etc. etc. .... if one is looking for a strong Asian based presence & is unable to get the IDNs they want in every Asian country - this is a way to overcome this problem !!!... I wonder how many marketers will think the same way... and what this will mean for those other gTLDs presently being used for Asian languages!!!
Does it mean that we should all be very wary of paying too much for other gTLDs which maybe will be weaker in the future?

Of interest any thoughts on how the .eu domains are viewed by the search engines in each country within Europe (as many of the IDN options are often languages, which also become country specific to a large degree)?
For example do .eu domains which are Italian rank just as high as .it IDNs in Italian SE results and so on for the other Asian languages .eu supports?
Namely does .eu rank higher than other gTLDs / IDNS within European based SE results?

Any comments?

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 6th June 2007 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 6th June 2007, 04:32 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
... just a way to make money some of us are forced to buy to get a keyword we want...
And .asia isn't in it to make money .. a non-profit organisation, who, out of the goodness of their hearts are offering yet another extension to 'unify' Asia?

Quote:
I can see how *well* .us, .eu and .ca are doing ... You will surely establish your presence with those puppies...

Quote:
You should be wary of being wary .. or by the time your wariness wears off even gTLDs will be out of reach

Quote:
If you think the search engines are going to adjust their algorithms to give preferential treatment to .asia then I think you may be sadly mistaken.
Old 6th June 2007, 04:38 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

I would buy dot biz, dot info, dot cc or even dot ws before I touched these, and I can assure you that I have no current interest in any of them.
Old 6th June 2007, 04:39 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive
Re: NEW gTLD (IDN) - dot ASIA .asia - IDNs available middle of next year!!! (mid 2008)

The thing is that this extension is being marketed to the English speaking crowd. I doubt anyone in Asia would know what .asia is and that is even exists.

And if the sunrise for .asia is anything like the debacle of .eu than it will quickly vanish into the ether.
Old 6th June 2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
There have been numerous previous threads on the subject.

Use the search function.
Ok - searched - and there are not many comments... apart from several cynical remarks saying launching this is a dumb idea... even one comment stating someone who raised this topic previously was an idiot for even raising this it as a topic & thinking that a .asia gTLD can never fly!

Personally I wonder if those who are being negative, are not more worried that this will be a threat to the existing IDN names some people hold... or is it as they do not see "Asia" as holding any strength as a key identifier to any group in the world (even scarier thought)!

Funny... it will be interesting to see how marketers will view it as a group... namely, those paying $ for domains / IDNs for commercial use!

Of interest rubber duck - do you own any .eu domains?
Any comments / thoughts on the .eu IDNs?

(For the record... just incase anyone is wondering - I am not linked to .asia gTLD in anyway at all - I just want to raise this topic to get some feelings within the forum to what present IDNers think to a REGIONAL TLD IDN... as I guess it is potentially the only threat which can exist to ccTLDs IDNs... as what else could logically be accepted for Asian languages apart from this and ccTLDs)....
cheers, Asiaplay
Old 6th June 2007, 04:48 PM
Veteran

I did try to get a lot of EU domains. I was actually back ordering about 3 years before they eventually launched. Got scammed and let down. I ended up with one, which I dropped this year.

The point with dot Asia, is that by the time the IDN come out which are really the only ones that are conceivably valuable.

Not only is much momentum is likely to have been lost due to poor uptake of the ASCII extension, but because other IDN are likely to become highly sought after in the interim, your chances of getting top names even on this crappy extension are going to be pretty thin.

If you do end up with hundreds of good names, it will be because nobody else wants them. If nobody is after these names a year from now, trust me they never will be!
Old 6th June 2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Personally I wonder if those who are being negative, are not more worried that this will be a threat to the existing IDN names some people hold... or is it as they do not see "Asia" as holding any strength as a key identifier to any group in the world (even scarier thought)!
I wouldn't lose any sleep over the 'threat' from .asia ... If not for any reason other than the fact that .asia is yet another scheme dreamt up by people out to make money from an initial landrush and pre-orders.

If it doesn't go the way of .ws, .eu etc I will admit I was wrong and weep and knash my teeth that I could have been so blind .. but I think my *gamble* on .com, .net & .jp is probably a good one.

Do you seriously think the people who dreamt up .asia have the best intentions of the Asian world at heart? That they had a brainstorming session to see what could be done so as to give Asian people something that can 'identify' them?
It will be an uphill struggle to market such an extension in my humble opinion.

Of course, those who didn't manage to pick up anything of reasonable quality in .com, .net and the ccTLDs either for registration fee or on the secondary market will welcome with open arms anything that will give them an opportunity to grab a top keyword ... in any extension ... I expect .asia to be fully booked out and await with bated breath the multitude of other extensions that surely must be in the pipeline .. Man knows no limits when it comes to making a dollar.
Old 6th June 2007, 06:12 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Ok - searched - and there are not many comments... apart from several cynical remarks saying launching this is a dumb idea... even one comment stating someone who raised this topic previously was an idiot for even raising this it as a topic & thinking that a .asia gTLD can never fly!
Asiaplay, what do you think of this comment: http://www.idnforums.com/forums/64731-post10.html

Personally, Asia is not united in any sense culturally or politically. In some cases, countries in Asia are fiercely independent from other countries in Asia. I think it is naive to think that .asia will have a built in audience. Why would Japanese type-in to a .asia site? Why would a filipino? Why would a korean? Why would an Indian?

.asia's only chance is if became the default site for the Chinese diaspora across Asia. Then it would have a purpose but no non-Chinese language people would look twice at that extension. IMO.
Old 6th June 2007, 06:32 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

nice quote.

saves me from writing it again. Correction though, at least, it is called .asia which is culturally ambivalent. If it truly were an extension springing from the loins of middle america they would have called it .orient or something worse!
Old 6th June 2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
Asiaplay, what do you think of this comment: http://www.idnforums.com/forums/64731-post10.html

Personally, Asia is not united in any sense culturally or politically. In some cases, countries in Asia are fiercely independent from other countries in Asia. I think it is naive to think that .asia will have a built in audience. Why would Japanese type-in to a .asia site? Why would a filipino? Why would a korean? Why would an Indian?

.asia's only chance is if became the default site for the Chinese diaspora across Asia. Then it would have a purpose but no non-Chinese language people would look twice at that extension. IMO.
Hi Alphamale,

I think the person who made this remark forgets that people "language" wise view themselves as 1) Asian & 2) joined regionally by the heritage that language brings them... namely if you ask someone from Singapore, Malaysia, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Philippines etc. etc. who are of Chinese origin... what is your nationally... they will almost all say "Chinese" and then there country name... or if they are in the West... they will be seen as being Asian (rather than Chinese - as lets face it, many people think all Asians are Japanese or Chinese) and often will refer to themselves as being Asian.

I also think that "Asian" is not seen as a negative by people based in the region (just as a Frenchman or a Brit or a German would not see being called "European" with any resentment).
Additionally, if you look at a most of the countries in South East Asia - they are actually Asian by make-up, and not made up of one distinct single ethnic or native language speaking group (this is less true of North Asia).

Therefore... for "language" based cross-overs in the Asian region I think this will be taken very well and be very strong.

Actually it is the same argument that the person could have made for .eu and the affinity which different Europeans have for each other (e.g the Brits & Frenchman Germans / Frenchman, Italians / Spanish etc. etc. issues which exist)... but I do see .eu as working well (so suspect that .asia will on the same basis).
Whats your own personal opinion on the impact of .eu IDNs (now a preference to ccTLD IDNs at all)?

Cheers & appreciate all comments here (thanks too Rubber duck etc. etc.)... Thanks, Asiaplay
Old 6th June 2007, 06:52 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Whats your own personal opinion on the impact of .eu IDNs (now a preference to ccTLD IDNs at all)?
I treat .asia with the same concept as you draw parallels with .eu

I am English and live in the uk, and have never once navigated to a .eu website, i honestly can't think of why on earth i would want to.

we have our own cctld (.co.uk) for local UK based services, and I know .com is for the wider space, i.e everywhere else.

Before i started domaining, i was an end user. If i wanted to buy locally, i would restrict searches to .co.uk, and if i wanted to buy globally i would search .com - i really do not see where .eu fits in, it's surplus to requirements in my opinion.
Old 6th June 2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I think the person who made this remark forgets that people "language" wise view themselves as 1) Asian & 2) joined regionally by the heritage that language brings them... namely if you ask someone from Singapore, Malaysia, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Philippines etc. etc. who are of Chinese origin... what is your nationally... they will almost all say "Chinese" and then there country name...
This is wrong, I have lived in Asia for a looong time and speaking from personal experience people from Singapore, Malaysia and The Philippines that I know of do not say they are Chinese.
Old 6th June 2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
I treat .asia with the same concept as you draw parallels with .eu

I am English and live in the uk, and have never once navigated to a .eu website, i honestly can't think of why on earth i would want to.

we have our own cctld (.co.uk) for local UK based services, and I know .com is for the wider space, i.e everywhere else.

Before i started domaining, i was an end user. If i wanted to buy locally, i would restrict searches to .co.uk, and if i wanted to buy globally i would search .com - i really do not see where .eu fits in, it's surplus to requirements in my opinion.
Yes - I can understand this as a native 1st language "English" speaker - this makes sense with what you say (I wonder if you did searches in German all the time, if this would still be the case).
I also wonder if German, Spanish, Greek, Italian etc. native speakers who can not see any .com sites in the language they read fluently would feel the same... perhaps they will...
I now wonder what Yanni thinks of .eu domains - smile (perhaps the same).

I actually think that .asia will be strongest for Chinese and in South East Asia the most... but it will also probably offer more identity to Asians than a .com might in the future (but maybe only if they see dealing with an Asian based company as being an advantage to dealing with a non-Asian based one, for the product / service they are searching for - which could be the case).

Mulligan - I agree - there is no guarantee that the Asian cc SE will support this domain... I guess that will depend of the "power" of those behind the .asia name (and given their address that is hard to tell... would think weak given their office address in HK is a rather cheap / old office block)... and on if governments here really value the ASEAN political relationships and if it comes down as a joint directive from a group like that... and possibly even more on how well the .asia IDN is represented in each language registrations wise (e.g. if Koreans attack it and register millions of names, I think the SE will have trouble ignoring it in Korea).

Yes - and I agree, I think it is a very clever way for whoever came up with the idea to make money - the auction idea for solving double bidders for a domain name (rather than lucky draw) suggests profit is central...

All interesting comments - thanks everyone - cheers, Asiaplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
This is wrong, I have lived in Asia for a looong time and speaking from personal experience people from Singapore, Malaysia and The Philippines that I know of do not say they are Chinese.
These comments are less often made in English - especially in mixed ethnic groups in a place like Singapore... where I know you happen to be based.
However get them all speaking Chinese together with another Chinese from another country in Asia... and they suddenly all become 100% Chinese first.
Time to learn Mandarin Hokkein or Cantonese a little more, as then you would even hear this is dear old Singapore very often

This is also is however a generalisation of course... and was being used to explain a point.
But interesting idea for you to try, since I know you are based in Singapore... ask Chinese people where their parents "hometown" is... they will start naming cities and towns in China... as will people from other Asian countries who are Chinese... (I have several friends in Asia who to my surprise have even buried their parents back in China... even though their parents lived 98% or even all of their lives outside China). Language is a link... and this is very true of Chinese in Asia.
The CPU traded market, is a perfect example of this very thing, as an example (and the list goes on and on).

Thanks for comments though - cheers, Asiaplay

I think maybe it is time to close this post - lol - is getting too theoretical now - haha... but cheers all.... I have learnt a lot from all your joint comments.. thanks again...

Last edited by Asiaplay; 6th June 2007 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 6th June 2007, 07:45 PM
Veteran

What will give "identity" or more accurately the correct cultural and linguistic context is not the extension but the script of the keyword in most instances. It is their native script that they will connect with, not some arbitrary extension. Dot Asia itself cannot distinguish between Japan, Russia or Thailand or even parts of Arabia. Script will instantly sort all four of them into the correct context.
Old 6th June 2007, 08:03 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Yes - I can understand this as a native 1st language "English" speaker - this makes sense with what you say (I wonder if you did searches in German all the time, if this would still be the case).
I also wonder if German, Spanish, Greek, Italian etc. native speakers who can not see any .com sites in the language they read fluently would feel the same... perhaps they will...
I now wonder what Yanni thinks of .eu domains - smile (perhaps the same).

I actually think that .asia will be strongest for Chinese and in South East Asia the most... but it will also probably offer more identity to Asians than a .com might in the future (but maybe only if they see dealing with an Asian based company as being an advantage to dealing with a non-Asian based one, for the product / service they are searching for - which could be the case).

Mulligan - I agree - there is no guarantee that the Asian cc SE will support this domain... I guess that will depend of the "power" of those behind the .asia name (and given their address that is hard to tell... would think weak given their office address in HK is a rather cheap / old office block)... and on if governments here really value the ASEAN political relationships and if it comes down as a joint directive from a group like that... and possibly even more on how well the .asia IDN is represented in each language registrations wise (e.g. if Koreans attack it and register millions of names, I think the SE will have trouble ignoring it in Korea).

Yes - and I agree, I think it is a very clever way for whoever came up with the idea to make money - the auction idea for solving double bidders for a domain name (rather than lucky draw) suggests profit is central...

All interesting comments - thanks everyone - cheers, Asiaplay

These comments are less often made in English - especially in mixed ethnic groups in a place like Singapore... where I know you happen to be based.
However get them all speaking Chinese together with another Chinese from another country in Asia... and they suddenly all become 100% Chinese first.
Time to learn Mandarin Hokkein or Cantonese a little more, as then you would even hear this is dear old Singapore very often

This is also is however a generalisation of course... and was being used to explain a point.
But interesting idea for you to try, since I know you are based in Singapore... ask Chinese people where their parents "hometown" is... they will start naming cities and towns in China... as will people from other Asian countries who are Chinese... (I have several friends in Asia who to my surprise have even buried their parents back in China... even though their parents lived 98% or even all of their lives outside China). Language is a link... and this is very true of Chinese in Asia.
The CPU traded market, is a perfect example of this very thing, as an example (and the list goes on and on).

Thanks for comments though - cheers, Asiaplay

I think maybe it is time to close this post - lol - is getting too theoretical now - haha... but cheers all.... I have learnt a lot from all your joint comments.. thanks again...
.net and .info are not really popular in korea. They have been scooped up by korean IDNers tho as one word generics are always worth something. If these extensions aren't popular then .asia is going to suck even more.

and who will type .asia? Its like me typing domainname.NA (North america)
Old 6th June 2007, 09:19 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Asiaplay,

With all due respect. I am the one behind this quote. I didn't "forget" that fact because it simply is not a fact, I believe it must be a figment of your imagination. I don't know a single person from an Asian country who views themselves as "Asian" before they view themselves as "Japanese", "Korean", "Thai", "Vietnamese", "Malay" or "Chinese". Not a single one and I know many. In the US, we call ourselves Asian because politically it is in our interest to align with each other so that the majority will not view us as an easy target for discrimination. But this is probably the loosest affiliation of any of the ethnic groups because we don't share that much in common with each other. In Asia this is just not the case.

If you read my quote, I did say that the only hope .asia has is if it becomes a default extension for the Chinese diaspora in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, etc. But then .asia would be for those southeast asian Chinese and irrelevant to everyone else. Honestly though, I don't know how that will happen - business is unlikely to get on board.

But let's entertain for the moment that everyone here is wrong, I wouldn't push this thread too hard. Let time prove you right, no amount of argument will convince them. Just imagine how wide open the field will be for you to reg on opening day!"

Quote:
Hi Alphamale,

I think the person who made this remark forgets that people "language" wise view themselves as 1) Asian & 2) joined regionally by the heritage that language brings them... namely if you ask someone from Singapore, Malaysia, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Philippines etc. etc. who are of Chinese origin... what is your nationally... they will almost all say "Chinese" and then there country name... or if they are in the West... they will be seen as being Asian (rather than Chinese - as lets face it, many people think all Asians are Japanese or Chinese) and often will refer to themselves as being Asian.

I also think that "Asian" is not seen as a negative by people based in the region (just as a Frenchman or a Brit or a German would not see being called "European" with any resentment).
Additionally, if you look at a most of the countries in South East Asia - they are actually Asian by make-up, and not made up of one distinct single ethnic or native language speaking group (this is less true of North Asia).

Therefore... for "language" based cross-overs in the Asian region I think this will be taken very well and be very strong.

Actually it is the same argument that the person could have made for .eu and the affinity which different Europeans have for each other (e.g the Brits & Frenchman Germans / Frenchman, Italians / Spanish etc. etc. issues which exist)... but I do see .eu as working well (so suspect that .asia will on the same basis).

Cheers & appreciate all comments here (thanks too Rubber duck etc. etc.)... Thanks, Asiaplay
Old 6th June 2007, 09:32 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

It goes further than that, you will hear people calling themselves "shanghainese", "taiwanese", even "taipeinese" if there is such a word, and a few hundred more cities, more than anything else. It is so easy to add 人 to city names. This is something not found in the English language.