IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2007, 06:14 PM
Banned

brianluedke is an unknown quantity at this point
Sénégal.com problem

Hi guys. Can you help me with this amateurish question?

I recently changed name servers for Sénégal.com. Now, the site looks fine at

Sénégal.com

but when you add the "www"

www.Sénégal.com

it's still apparently at the old nameserver where it is re-directed back to lafrique.com, which had been the setting at the old nameserver.

Have you ever heard of the "www" making a difference as to the nameserver?

Thanks for your input.

Brian
Old 9th June 2007, 06:59 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Re: Sénégal.com problem

This is only a DNS caching issue. The problem will resolve itself within a day or two.

Old 9th June 2007, 08:21 PM
Banned

Hey, thanks for the informative reply!

By the way, does anyone have a guess as to when webmail will word with IDNs? For example, when will the typical Joe be able to go to his Yahoo! or Gmail account and send a message to "Sénégal@Sénégal.com" instead of the long "xn--" crap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
This is only a DNS caching issue. The problem will resolve itself within a day or two.

Old 9th June 2007, 10:37 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

I think it will be a long time before webmail works. Essentially conversion from Unicode to Punycode is done at application level on the PC. I effectively have Webmail which I pay for at Runbox.com but I upload/download via Thunderbird. Thunderbird is able to convert the bit after the ampersand, to punycode and back again. I would have thought it must be possible to do the same thing with Hotmail and Gmail, although I haven't personally done this. As far as I am aware there is as yet no provision for Unicode to the left of the Ampersand. Thunderbird tells me there is no local part. It just pretends it is not there.

For webmail to supported properly not only do the existing Mail Server packages need updating but that functionality needs to be built into each website. I guess Google and Hotmail will be among the first but others could take years. Why did I say that Microsoft have a record of taking at least 10 years to do this kind of stuff.

I guess the IDN enabled registers will do it, but many mail clients based in the West may never do this.
Old 9th June 2007, 11:50 PM
Banned

Thanks for your informative reply. I have to say, though, that it is really depressing that we can't have fully functional email on the webmail sites that people actually use. Just when you think you've convinced people these are real addresses, you have to explain that they need to send mail to some "xn--" crap.

I guess I will just use " LeSenegal.com " for email. The xn-- thing looks ridiculous at the bottom of my site.

I guess we should be thankful that at least people can access these sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I think it will be a long time before webmail works. Essentially conversion from Unicode to Punycode is done at application level on the PC. I effectively have Webmail which I pay for at Runbox.com but I upload/download via Thunderbird. Thunderbird is able to convert the bit after the ampersand, to punycode and back again. I would have thought it must be possible to do the same thing with Hotmail and Gmail, although I haven't personally done this. As far as I am aware there is as yet no provision for Unicode to the left of the Ampersand. Thunderbird tells me there is no local part. It just pretends it is not there.

For webmail to supported properly not only do the existing Mail Server packages need updating but that functionality needs to be built into each website. I guess Google and Hotmail will be among the first but others could take years. Why did I say that Microsoft have a record of taking at least 10 years to do this kind of stuff.

I guess the IDN enabled registers will do it, but many mail clients based in the West may never do this.
Old 10th June 2007, 04:39 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianluedke
Thanks for your informative reply. I have to say, though, that it is really depressing that we can't have fully functional email on the webmail sites that people actually use. Just when you think you've convinced people these are real addresses, you have to explain that they need to send mail to some "xn--" crap.

I guess I will just use " LeSenegal.com " for email. The xn-- thing looks ridiculous at the bottom of my site.

I guess we should be thankful that at least people can access these sites.
Oh my goodness, Brian, we just recently go fully functional browsers! Don't let it bother you. When IDN email addressing is commonplace, you will be seen as cutting edge.