IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2007, 10:48 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
.biz vs .com and .jp

Drewbert got me thinking - I see that during the IDN .biz landrush tons were acquired by Japanese

perhaps since they didn't get the .com and .jp maybe we'll see high figure sales coming from Japan on their IDN .biz?
Old 11th June 2007, 11:31 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: .biz vs .com and .jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy
Drewbert got me thinking - I see that during the IDN .biz landrush tons were acquired by Japanese

perhaps since they didn't get the .com and .jp maybe we'll see high figure sales coming from Japan on their IDN .biz?
A lot of Japanese investors and end users did buy .biz when it launched. But doubt that you will see high dollar sales on the .biz domains. The Japanese are very brand conscious. They know the difference between a Rolex and a Timex.
Old 11th June 2007, 11:38 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

The .biz launch can only raise awareness of IDN and further the cause of .com and .jp.

The top generics may be gone in .com and .jp, but I don't believe these extensions are tapped out of useful domains for those with intimate knowledge of the language.
Old 11th June 2007, 11:42 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
The .biz launch can only raise awareness of IDN and further the cause of .com and .jp.

The top generics may be gone in .com and .jp, but I don't believe these extensions are tapped out of useful domains for those with intimate knowledge of the language.
After a post from someone here I was just checking for the hell of it. I noticed all of the main generic .biz's are gone and many are regged by unfamiliar faces in Japan.
Old 11th June 2007, 11:45 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

I've had some offers on a few of my Japanese.biz from Japan ... They were all much better than any I got here or on any of the forums
Old 11th June 2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
I've had some offers on a few of my Japanese.biz from Japan ... They were all much better than any I got here or on any of the forums
doh

how much were the offers for? Are we talking $xx, $xxx $xxxx? I'm sure less than the .com .jp equivalents
Old 12th June 2007, 12:00 AM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Main generics will always to be worth some money, but the only way I see .biz remaining more than a passing fad is if it's DNAME'ed to .ビジネス - not .ビジ

The serious domain investors and corporations will not settle for .biz when they can have the .com or .jp for a relatively modest investment (from their POV).
Old 12th June 2007, 12:14 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:

The serious domain investors and corporations will not settle for .biz when they can have the .com or .jp for a relatively modest investment (from their POV).
Agreed .. and I guess they are not adverse to paying a healthy premium for the .com or .jp ... Though the quality of the keyword might make this a very expensive exercise
Old 12th June 2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Main generics will always to be worth some money, but the only way I see .biz remaining more than a passing fad is if it's DNAME'ed to .ビジネス - not .ビジ

what about .企業 (Enterprise) for .biz
Old 12th June 2007, 01:25 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy
After a post from someone here I was just checking for the hell of it. I noticed all of the main generic .biz's are gone and many are regged by unfamiliar faces in Japan.
Yup very true , Congrats Guys !
Old 12th June 2007, 06:47 AM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point

Few comments... as a user & not investor...

Like any other user of IDNs... (rather than investor)... I see .biz as the 3rd choice.
But a credible third choice - which I will be using widely myself.

Namely IDN .ccTLD are first choice - as it shows local basis and therefore is indirectly I believe a sign of trust to many users (assuming that it is used for sales promotion - but either way shows an understanding of the local business practices & that the company at least wants a local presence).
They also have the advantage that they can be hosted anywhere and end up on local country search results.

Secondly comes .com - due to my understanding that all internet users understand this extension and also that it is the default for the majority of type ins (that are not .jp or other ccTLD type ins).

However - since I am unable to get many of the domains I wanted to in those two and .biz suggests business, I do see this as a viable alternative.

Basically I now have more .biz than any other extension myself - and believe that people do know that .biz stands for business (the way they are being bought by people over .info, .org etc., also supports this idea).

What really matters to me at the end of the day is will my IDN be represented on the search engine results & are they seen as credible for a business.
My understanding is yes, they will and .biz will be represented as well as .com or .jp if hosted in Japan or the local market being targeted (ignoring type ins - but if the .biz quantity of domains grows, this will also help type ins for .biz to a lesser degree).

Also remember that most of the IDNs people are using, are not for their sole main website IDN - but as support for that and links if you like (.biz can offer this).

However saying all this - if I had the choice I would own the ccTLD IDN in each country I am targeting (however this is now no longer an option with many now being used and not parked - i.e. they are not for sale as an IDN... perhaps only if the person sees the price you are prepared to pay as being more valuable than the business they are running on that IDN, will they sell it... and that figure can be high).

I personally will also be buying more .biz (and look forward to when they launch the Korean version of it).
This is as realistically the ccTLD & .com owners (who are willing to sell) are now pushing the prices above what many small to mid-size companies can realistically afford. Not saying this is the wrong approach by them - but it is a reality which will help drive .biz registrations and sales.
I would therefore prefer to own every keyword in .biz than one in .com & one in .net & one in .info etc. - no doubts on this. (but I also feel more comfortable as I also own a few .ccTLDs which are good as well).

Also for certain languages - .biz versions are offered & the ccTLD & .com are both in use by companies relating to the IDN.
My guess this is also why it is widely used in Germany - as the extension supports German & not many do in a market where IDNs are established and long past being a new thing.

Just some general comments.. cheers, Asiaplay

PS: I am lucky really - as arrived just in time to get the 2nd & 3rd keywords in Asian languages for my niche focus area (some of the 1st ones as well) - some as ccTLD! (I pity those who follow in my niche focus area really - as where possible I own all options of those keywords for all sensible extensions and do not intend to ever sell them, as long as the business area they are for does not fail).
I also believe users will do this - mass focus on an area rather than pick IDNs one by one (unless it is the top ranking word for their niche interest area).
Old 12th June 2007, 07:54 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Well, I am not sure about third choice. I would personally go for dot net in preference, but who knows I may be wrong.

There is little conclusive evidence to date that ccTLD are going to push out dot coms in any of the major markets, except dot de. We just have to wait and see on that.

Dot CN is just about overhauling dot Com in terms of numbers, but all government owned organisations have been arm twisted to by dot CN, which had a major spurt. Because CNNIC are 3 months behind with statistics, we have no way of knowing where that is going. Japan, has about 130K IDN.JP registered and about 850K of all types. There is very high usage of dot com in Japan. If Germany needs 10M names you may assume Japan needs huge numbers as well. The balance will be largely made up of dot com.