IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > Noms de Domaine Français

Noms de Domaine Français IDN talk for French IDN Domains.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2007, 06:29 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
laféeverte.com or féeverte.com?

Which is better? I am still trying to grasp the full understanding of the article in french names. As I understand, it's best to leave it out, but in some cases it's best to keep it. Which is best in this case?

Old 13th June 2007, 08:26 PM

nicb5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: laféeverte.com or féeverte.com?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Which is better? I am still trying to grasp the full understanding of the article in french names. As I understand, it's best to leave it out, but in some cases it's best to keep it. Which is best in this case?

Hi jacksonm,

I'd say that if you want to register french generics, forget about the articles altogether. The only case in which they are used is for company or business names, names that aren't interesting for idners ( Maybe low stats, TM issues, very hard to resell etc). If you had to reg one of the two, I'd go with laféeverte.com though. That is because "fée" and "verte" are neither good or related keywords to begin with as far as stats are concerned. If they are it's probably because of TM or a big and popular website. That leaves us with two names that will probably will have zero value to idners. You still have the end user option, someone that probably has a store name or a website with "fée verte" in the name and 99.99% of the time they will haved named it "LA fée verte". Fée verte alone doesn't feel to good, not smooth enough. That's why you are better off with laféeverte.com. But don't go and generalize what I've said. Some keyword combos feel smooth without the article while others feel horible. Yes, french is weird like that. My suggestion is to reg the two and then to ask either publicly in the forum (like you just did) or in a PM which to drop (would be my pleasure to help out).

I hope some of that at least makes a little sense, for I suck at explaining stuff in english. I you want to clarify anything, just ask a question.

Nick
Old 13th June 2007, 08:48 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicb5
If you had to reg one of the two, I'd go with laféeverte.com though.
Thanks again, Nick. I also thought laféeverte.com would be better, but just wanted to make sure.

You do understand what it means, other than literally, right? La fée verte (the green fairy for the rest of you) is Absinthe!

This is most definitely an end-user domain, if I ever decide to sell it (I'm an Absinthe lover).

Last edited by jacksonm; 14th June 2007 at 12:40 PM..
Old 13th June 2007, 10:58 PM

L@@K is an unknown quantity at this point

Absinthe is prohibitted in France...
Make you too much crazy ! :p
Old 13th June 2007, 11:04 PM

L@@K is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicb5
Yes, french is weird like that. My suggestion is ...
to let them to french !:p
Old 14th June 2007, 03:47 AM

nicb5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I think Absinthe is legal here in Quebec but i'm not sure it's the real thing... I don't recall people referring to it as the "fée verte" though... even if it is one of it's names. Anyway still a very good niche name to hold on to, espacially if you say you like it! It is totally a end user name though, like you mentionned. I'm happy to see people moving out of the dictionary generics in French, it is good for the market and you can't really go wrong.

Nick

Last edited by nicb5; 14th June 2007 at 04:21 AM..
Old 14th June 2007, 10:20 AM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

As you're pouring the water over the sugar cube, the moment the drink goes cloudy, it is said that the green fairy has arrived.

I like the name
Old 14th June 2007, 01:18 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by L@@K
Absinthe is prohibitted in France...
Make you too much crazy ! :p
A popular drink in New Orleans.
At 140 proof, it is said to cause "criminal dementia".
Old 14th June 2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
A popular drink in New Orleans.
At 140 proof, it is said to cause "criminal dementia".

So that's whats wrong with folks down there! You're supposed to mix it with sugar and water before drinking :-)