IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2007, 10:32 AM

charley is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Your Take on IDN .tv

I found some idn names in the tv extension that haven't been registered yet. Those names have more than 10 million Google searches and 2000 Overture searches.

Any comments !
Old 14th June 2007, 10:50 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: Your Take on IDN .tv

2,000 ovt is not very high in most languages, with .tv the "word" is most important.
Words like sports.tv, or news.tv or shopping.tv fit the extension best.

Personally for the money I would take some time and search for good ovt/ high bid .jp
and get twice as many domains for the same investment.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 14th June 2007 at 11:06 AM..
Old 14th June 2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Words like sports.tv, or news.tv or shopping.tv fit the extension best.
I was referring to the IDN names for eg, Spanish, Arabic, German, Chinese.
Old 14th June 2007, 11:05 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley
I was referring to the IDN names for eg, Spanish, Arabic, German, Chinese.
Those might be OK, I would ask a native speaker how they appear as a website title.
I have seen many city.tv names registered, for example Moscow.tv (referring to idn)

Last edited by bwhhisc; 14th June 2007 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 14th June 2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Personally for the money I would take some time and search for good ovt/ high bid .jp
and get twice as many domains for the same investment.
Agree with you.

But I want to jump in the IDN .tv market. I reckon I can make more profits there. The names whihc I checked are single words.

Would value more comments.
Old 14th June 2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Agree with you.
But I want to jump in the IDN .tv market. I reckon I can make more profits there. The names whihc I checked are single words.
I think a .jp or .com of equal term is worth 10x to 100x a .tv.
Plus you are paying about $30 a year for tv. JMO
Old 14th June 2007, 12:03 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Agree with you.

I think you would be better off investing money in dot coms or dot JP acquired on the secondary market. They may be a lot more expensive to buy, but you will have a realistic prospect of traffic and sales.

ASCIIland is full of corpses from money sunk into worthless extensions by domainers who think small.

In my view there is little evidence to suggest ASCII.tv are ever going to be really valuable. I think you can triple the risk factor with Asian IDN.
Old 14th June 2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the comments.

But many of the keywords in Chinese, Japanese, Korean have all been taken. Would Hindi be one to look for ?
Old 14th June 2007, 01:54 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Thanks for the comments.

But many of the keywords in Chinese, Japanese, Korean have all been taken. Would Hindi be one to look for ?
You would be holding onto hindi names for quite some time for it to have value in the market.
Old 14th June 2007, 02:17 PM

sunsei21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sunsei21 Send a message via Skype™ to sunsei21

depends what your tolerance for risk is and plans for the names parking needs traffic
development beyond a adsesnse page takes skills or money or both so depends on your path no one can see the future .
Old 14th June 2007, 03:38 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

One way to get an idea of what .tv is worth relative to .com is to look at what demand media says is a premium (insert "sunsei21 on "premium" ) some of them are you have to be kidding but it gives you an estimate. take the premium reg fee and compare it to a recent(if you can) sale with .com and it will give you some kind of idea on a ratio. business.tv = premium reg is $500,000 some discussion pertaining to is that a yearly fee or not. anyway business.com sold for 7.5 million in 1999, what is it worth today? so what is business.com worth in Chinese, Japanese, Hindi ect, then you can get an idea of what business.tv worth in that language? you have to then decide whether or not you want the risk of .tv and the renewal fee? I do have a few
http://www.enom.com/auctions/tv_names_search.asp

I think another key word that pops up with .tv is development.

tee1
Old 14th June 2007, 03:55 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

I own some premium single word japanese .tv that fit the extension. With some exceptions I tried to make sure that OVT was over 100,000. 2000 seems pretty small to me in any language for a $30 extension. JMO

I think the advice the others have given is spot on - prices for IDN in .com or .net in the secondary market is still comparatively cheap and you ought to be collecting from there.

Keep your eye out for undervalued items on sale here and other places from time to time.
Old 14th June 2007, 06:44 PM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Your Take on IDN .tv... TV = TV STATION TO SOME!!!

Agree with you all... .tv for me comes just above .cc (and after .ws - due to the difference in price & it not offering anything additional to most IDN keywords as I see it). Exceptions being of course, those words which in themselves conjure up graphic pictures in a persons mind (e.g. fireworks.tv - which alas was stolen off me and onsold by my domain registrar... register.com,, in the days when register.com didn't auto lock domains & chose not to remind me it was up for renewal... jerks as they were charging me for domain name forwarding at the same time swiped it from me).

However - back to the topic
.... I just wanted to add one interesting comment I got from a very educated China based net user the other day (who is fluent in English, Chinese & Korean as well as a very comfortable net savvy user)... comment came when I was discussing Korean IDNs with her... she said...

"ummm... I think .tv is not very good - people will think it is a TV Station (Television network)"... I was about to giggle but then thought - hell if she says that... then knowing how smart she is compared to the average Mainland Chinese net user - damn she is probably right!

Interesting comment as come to think of it - there are so many TV stations in China these days - almost every city with a population of few million has one (which sounds fair & not too many, until you start to count the number of cities in China that fall into this category & do have a TV station... 100s definitely and I would expect maybe even 1000s... as pot little cities I have been to, I discover when there have a TV station I never knew existed, which just serves the 50km radius around the city).

The connotation of this of course equals boring Government general website, where all site content will be carefully targeted to the betterment of the public at large and socially, politically and in every other way correct (yes will read like this last sentence once your great aunt has edited it for you / added more redundant, overly exciting content to it ).

So to some in China - .tv = .boring

But major generalisation of course (especially on the interest level of TV Station websites).

Funny - as myself I always related .tv to mean .movies really - i.e. sort of expect there to be some videos on a .tv site.
But therefore also saw the domain extension to be better for topics which suit themselves to movie content (much of which of course can also be considered suitable for censorship) - which alas also maybe means it is potentially a bad idea / extension for markets like China & Korea & Vietnam & Thailand where controlling adult content is an issue.

Off the edge answer - to get us all thinking & offer another perspective (not debate really - please don't take this post as 100% serious - still not sure I believe that it is even a minor issue or equals boring ).

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: agree totally with peoples comments here on .tv for investment... go with better ccTLDs & gTLDs like .com where possible.
For Chinese consider .hk & .tw over .tv (and for Korean .biz will not be far away - smile)

Last edited by Asiaplay; 14th June 2007 at 06:52 PM..
Old 14th June 2007, 08:15 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: Your Take on IDN .tv... TV = TV STATION TO SOME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay
"ummm... I think .tv is not very good - people will think it is a TV Station (Television network)"... I was about to giggle but then thought - hell if she says that... then knowing how smart she is compared to the average Mainland Chinese net user - damn she is probably right!
thats how they think of .tv in the U.S. as well.

with IPTV and mobile tv who knows what will happen with the .tv extension. Alot of people are putting full fledged multimedia sites on these domains. Demand Media supposedly is pumping money into the extension and yesterday alerted the media of their latest acquisition.

I have a $500/yr .tv premium name just for kicks..... Someone might like it to have an online video site.