IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2007, 08:35 PM

scotty is an unknown quantity at this point
Review of newer TLDs and IDNs by some of the big names...

http://www.conceptualist.com/?p=220
Old 17th June 2007, 09:55 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Re: Review of newer TLDs and IDNs by some of the big names...

interesting.

If you remove all the "replies", what picture do you think the "big boys" posts alone paint of IDN's?

Positive
Cautious
Neutral
Negative
Old 18th June 2007, 12:03 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I read these guys comments & blogs
& they have one thing wrong that keeps popping up.
They keep thinking that we as IDN investors are investing in domains that aren't our own.
More than half this site is in Asia.

I'm at the point where Japanese working at internet related companies are asking me for advice.
They can't see what's going on, & it's fine if they don't. They've already made their fortunes & shouldn't be expected to invest in everything under the sun just because it's available.

Every market is going to be different. Some markets are going to go IDN.ccTLD some will go IDN.com, some will stay with non IDN domains.

Non IDN dot coms are not exactly readily available & falling from the sky.
Let them invest their way & invest & plan your own.

They have great words to think about strategies etc. Don't expect them to give you great advice about international markets. & also read between the lines on how they make their money also.
Old 18th June 2007, 12:17 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Respectfully, the old gods of domainspace are mostly just that...old. And their "wisdom" is tired, their logic embarrasingly full of holes. Unfortunately, we lack the means to laugh in their faces right now - it isn't untrue what the one guy said. We are still waiting. One day not too many years from now, I will dredge up old posts like that one and roast the sad old gods.
Old 18th June 2007, 01:11 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I can't say they are tired, they are completely on point with the Western especially US market. When you already have investments creating cash like theirs IDNs are still a waiting game. Most of us did exactly what some of them did in languages & markets we are familiar with. There wasn't domain parking like Sedo, Moniker for auctions, & domain services from day one.

This is the stuff that they seem to forget, already being successful makes them forget what they saw in the beginning. It's not their loss either... Their domain investment already supports a good life for them.

Let them make their dollars... I want yen...
Old 18th June 2007, 02:37 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, they are not wrong, IDNs will suck value out of ascii dot com, they can't say good things about idns, in fact, it is already going so, i gave up on ascii dot com ever since i discovered idns. With the exception of big names going for only 5-6 years PPC, ascii dot com is overvalued, bloated and all hyped up.

Why pay $x,xxx when you can pay $7.
Old 18th June 2007, 04:09 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

>With the exception of big names going for only 5-6 years PPC, ascii dot com is
>overvalued, bloated and all hyped up.

Sorry, but I call bullshit on that.

ASCII is undervalued in most cases (I'm talking about the good stuff), it's just that IDN is WAYYYYYYYYYY undervalued compared to it.
Old 18th June 2007, 04:43 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
>With the exception of big names going for only 5-6 years PPC, ascii dot com is
>overvalued, bloated and all hyped up.

Sorry, but I call bullshit on that.

ASCII is undervalued in most cases (I'm talking about the good stuff), it's just that IDN is WAYYYYYYYYYY undervalued compared to it.

How do you count valuation? Websites today are sold on 9-12 mths profits. How's that for valuation? Valuation methods change all the time.

We should be glad we're not trading websites for a living, otherwise, it will be negative profit.

The opportunities in the world today changes every 6 mths, people are making hundreds of millions flipping real estate in Asia and Europe. Yes, it is a bubble, but people are making insane amt of money in this bubble, and the bubble continues growing unabated.

Last edited by touchring; 18th June 2007 at 04:57 AM..
Old 18th June 2007, 05:41 AM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting Post he has made...

I guess he really does equate himself to Carnegie... and takes a "stick with what is established and secure" attitude.
Great really, as if those guys played here now - they would make a killing, throwing pennies around and make it hard for your portfolios to grow.

So smile - while his lucky number is "88" (god this is an Asian concept - ironic he misses this really) - wear yellow and make yours "9" and become the Emperor!
I guess the best part of Carnegie's lesson is don't mistake "9" for silly "7" when you are not a native speaker (alas my lucky number is 7 ).

So lets learn from their logic and methods and adapt it to the IDN world - he can own "88.com" (maybe this will become the age he groans he never invested in the next new technology) and we can own "八八.jp", "八八.cn", "八八.hk" and "八八.tw" and smile - who knows as Asia starts to dominate the financial world his luck will run out and doing so you might become the J.P. Morgan that buys out Carnegie.
If, yes, just remember to say thanks and remember that the high numbers they have created for English domains will be what helps drive you forward.

But don't forget to take time to smell the flowers and remember we all only live once (I am sure Carnegie & Morgan both don't care any more) - so enjoy the party!

Cheers, Asiaplay

PS: my point for the day was not buying "八八" everywhere, there are better IDNs for Emperors :o