IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st June 2007, 04:37 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
oops........

http://forum.icann.org/lists/iana-id.../msg00001.html
Looks like a bad way to approach the ICANN forums
Quote:
Dear Iana,

I am very interested in the IANA Root Zone Procedures for Test IDN Deployment as we already have thousands of IDN names.

I have to say, I am left completely baffled by the proposals.
Yikes, we have to pretend that there are thousands of live sites out there. We don't want to make it so natives think we're just hoarding the names and left nothing for them. Otherwise they'll want .idn to not do dname so they can fresh reg them. we don't need them on our bad side.

I think was a bad approach imo
Old 21st June 2007, 04:59 AM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough
Re: oops........

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy
http://forum.icann.org/lists/iana-id.../msg00001.html
Looks like a bad way to approach the ICANN forums

Yikes, we have to pretend that there are thousands of live sites out there. We don't want to make it so natives think we're just hoarding the names and left nothing for them. Otherwise they'll want .idn to not do dname so they can fresh reg them. we don't need them on our bad side.

I think was a bad approach imo
Let's let Dave flourish into the leader that needs to be.

No one is under the impression that there are millions of sites using IDNs (there are thousands, no need to obfuscate).

There will be missteps, but if there is one here, I don't think it's in your quote.

Quote:
If you wish to find out more about IDN Traffic and its monetization (currently that is a laugh), then please...
Certainly monetization is on everyone's minds (including ICANN), but there are some things that are better left unsaid. And self-promotion is quite counter=productive, IMO.

Nonetheless, someone has to step up to the plate and take a swing at the curveballs. No, no one will hit a homerun, but the pitcher will get tired enough for singles to happen.

Cheers to Dave for stepping up to the plate.
Old 21st June 2007, 05:36 AM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point

I like Dave a lot and think he is a leader in this area... so true - happy he commented his feelings to them.

However... is good to offer an alternative... (as I am sure the IDN SLD is an issue for ICANN as more languages come on line & critics from within large countries become louder voices).
So what does Dave suggest they should be testing as an alternative which answers do not yet exist for?

Cheers - Asiaplay
Old 21st June 2007, 05:39 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper
Certainly monetization is on everyone's minds (including ICANN), but there are some things that are better left unsaid. And self-promotion is quite counter=productive, IMO.

I disagree, dave has proven that in today's environment, even bad promotion is good promotion, at least for the case of idns.