IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2007, 12:37 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Chinese Extension Preferences

Not sure if you can all see this without signing on at Domain.cn, but this seems fairly conclusive to me:

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 24th June 2007 at 01:50 PM..
Old 24th June 2007, 01:37 PM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Chinese Extension Preferences

Yeah - people dealing seriously in China IDNs should watch forums like this (but remember, a lot of Chinese hope you are all the big .com investors and will price that way to you, as can tell you are not Mainland Chinese... so don't ruin the market and bargain if you are buying).

The discussion at the moment, is of course more .cn based due to the low price of English / romanised .cn domains over the last few months making the results biased... to some degree...

However medium & longer-term (meaning as soon as browsers support & SEO is understood a little more in China).... I personally think that companies that have predominantly China based business will go .cn (and in the future almost all will want IDN .cn over the English / Pin Yin versions) - Mainland Chinese are very nationalistic, so to me is no doubt .cn will be King in China.

You must remember the bulk of Chinese users are still not using IDN resolvable browsers.

Those doing international business predominantly will choose .com, .net or .biz... they will be less biased towards .com if those are gone (and more slowly as they learn... suspect will take .cTLDs as well where they can).

With the "face" issue in China and the way the net is picking up - at some point certain IDNs will be worth a hell of a lot (but you need to be smart to pick those - it will not be the same as English domains in the USA).

For the China side of my business I prefer .cn names 100% more than .com etc. - I just wish for all the great ones some people have in .net & .com & .biz (where they own all 3 of those for an IDN, that they also owned the .cn)... then they would have a very solid package.

干杯 (cheers), Asiaplay.

PS: point is... I think the .com rule is weak for China (and a little over-rated in the West as well).
Old 24th June 2007, 01:46 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Chinese Extension Preferences

Edited post to add original Chinese URL below as Autotranslator is not navigating correctly:

http://domain.cn/club/viewthread.php...extra=page%3D2

In Short Dot Com is currently standing at 16 votes with Dot CN, Mobi, and Biz all trailing on two votes each, with the rest picking up only a single vote each.

Yes, but this Poll which is just one that I stumbled across and seems to have been instigated and participated in by Mainland Chinese, is showing indifference to dot CN and strong support for dot Com.

Ok, it not a huge sample but it is being held on the largest domaining forum not only in China but in the World. I admit there is always the risk that opinions may not be freely expressed, but even I would not have thought they would come down so heavily in favour of dot coms, bearing in mind very strong government support for their own ccTLD. It is unlikely that individuals would have felt pressured not to vote for dot CN.

I have always said, and I will repeat it again for those that chose to believe otherwise, that there is a strong future for both extensions. The evidence here, however, suggests that mindshare with dot com remains very solid.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 24th June 2007 at 01:59 PM..
Old 24th June 2007, 02:20 PM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Chinese Extension Preferences

As I say - think choice depends on two things... and think we agree in a large way Rubber Duck... just adding another comment so that others here get the idea that I am presenting.

a) Where business is for a China company... if target is local or international business.
b) Once business people are aware of IDNs more and how they work (think a lot are presently blind to them and SEO), this will have a stronger influence.

But at moment... the cheap sell off of .cn romanised / Pin Yin domain names is also giving a slight negative bias against .cn (once this is stopped and IDNs are well known and it is known the cost is similar to .com ... I believe for local market use, you will see a stronger bias towards .cn IDNs).
I guess the cheap sell-off was also a PR exercise - and it is clever they did not include IDNs in that game. Namely if anything in the future I think you will see more people showing favour to .cn.

I also believe there is zero bias in the answers for the survey for fear reasons - this will be what people presently believe who answered (important thing is to think "why" they answered this way).

这里是中国 - 我们是中国人!!!为什么。COM 比较好。。。开晚笑!!! (Question should be - which IDN do they prefer for Chinese - the previous sentance is how I expect most Mainland Chinese I know would phase their answer if a discussion was held on this).
"This is China... We are Chinese... Why is .com better (implies... you idiot)... piss me off & make me laugh!"

Cheers, Asiaplay...

PS: Good example of this is cigarette branding... previously everyone used to buy & smoke foreign brands only by choice (if they could afford).
Now the highest status and highest priced brands are famous local ones... gone is the preference for 555, Marlboru etc. and this is replaced by 芙蓉花, 红塔山, 熊猫 etc... and foreign brands are looked upon as much less favourable (even seen as selling out to a degree).
Note: this happened before the change in selling of imported brands etc. issues.

Last edited by Asiaplay; 24th June 2007 at 02:27 PM..