IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th June 2007, 07:30 PM

xxbossmanxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to xxbossmanxx Send a message via MSN to xxbossmanxx Send a message via Skype™ to xxbossmanxx
data, db, databasing. I think data is the way to go comments?

Hey all,

This is a site dev. type topic.

I have been getting interested in data accumulation lately since a guy I know just made over 100k from some data he had.

It seems like there are lots of great ways to monetize data esp. when you have the only source around etc. I have been in dev. with screen scraping programs and php page fetching and parsing etc.

I just made the post to see if anybody here is into that type of stuff and what kind of IDN data ideas there may be floating around. Maybe an IDN that could work well with something I dunno.

My site in the signature has a VN DB system that tracks the tournament results of poker players, it should be fully automatic and bugless real soon woooo!
Old 26th June 2007, 07:51 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: data, db, databasing. I think data is the way to go comments?

Where is the yawn smiley?
Old 26th June 2007, 08:02 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

If I see you screen scraping any of my sites and repackaging my data, you'll hear from my legal team.
Old 26th June 2007, 08:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to xxbossmanxx Send a message via MSN to xxbossmanxx Send a message via Skype™ to xxbossmanxx

ha, who wants ur data. you prob have a buncha adsense pages up at best. Public info can be scraped all day. legal team lmao! As for RD with a yawn, ya making 100k is pennys eh? Just think of how much toothpaste that would buy. The title says it all, you dont have to open the thread and repond to it if it isnt to your quality standards.
Old 26th June 2007, 08:43 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Data mining is a an up and coming industry but I doubt you can sell raw public data from third party sources for that kind off money. Can you give any details perhaps ?
Old 26th June 2007, 08:55 PM

Braz, what I am getting at is taking the raw data and refining it into a streamlined sort and search etc. not selling the raw but offering previously unavailable information derrived from my DB.

I need to keep some stuff quiet of course but ya, data is cool, good $ in it. Of course the sites 2 biggest a holes with an opinion have to chime in with negativity they cant just leave it alone.
Old 26th June 2007, 09:01 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbossmanxx
ha, who wants ur data. you prob have a buncha adsense pages up at best. Public info can be scraped all day. legal team lmao! As for RD with a yawn, ya making 100k is pennys eh? Just think of how much toothpaste that would buy. The title says it all, you dont have to open the thread and repond to it if it isnt to your quality standards.
Content on the internet (Or anywhere else) is, by default, protected by copyright and belongs to the author, whether they (The author) know that or not.

Unless the author has expressly given up their copyrights and has released the content into the public domain then it remains under copyright protection and their legal rights can be enforced if they find a copyright violation.
Old 26th June 2007, 09:02 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Braz, what I am getting at is taking the raw data and refining it into a streamlined sort and search etc. not selling the raw but offering previously unavailable information derrived from my DB.

I need to keep some stuff quiet of course but ya, data is cool, good $ in it. Of course the sites 2 biggest a holes with an opinion have to chime in with negativity they cant just leave it alone.
Just get sick and tired of hearing about your Poker Site. Not sure what relevance it has to IDN, it is not as though it is available in multiple languages or is even aimed at Asian or even European cultures. I am guessing you have taken to plugging it here because everyone else has chased you out of town. Even if you were likely to find a buyer for the damned thing it is unlikely to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
Content on the internet (Or anywhere else) is, by default, protected by copyright and belongs to the author, whether they (The author) know that or not.

Unless the author has expressly given up their copyrights and has released the content into the public domain then it remains under copyright protection and their legal rights can be enforced if they find a copyright violation.
Ditto.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 26th June 2007 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 26th June 2007, 09:05 PM

page fetching and parsing etc.

I just made the post to see if anybody here is into that type of stuff and what kind of IDN data ideas there may be floating around. Maybe an IDN that could work well with something I dunno.

My site in

Lmao do you really think I even waste one second thinking about a forum link. I am not a typical bottom feeder dropping links, spam and adsense ads up your asses.
Old 26th June 2007, 09:08 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Relax .. It's just some advice .. you should be aware of the pitfalls and where you stand in a legal sense if you are thinking of using other people data/content.
Old 26th June 2007, 09:14 PM

Advice is great. Glad to hear any of it. I wont lay down to forum bullys though, these guys need to just not make a post if they have nothing to add to the thread.

yawn and im tired of hearing about you is not productive, my post is 100% idn related, maybe I'm speaking another kind of english.

You know what? I frikken hate economics and politics yet I have to listen to the gurus here all the time and I leave the post alone if I dont have anything constructive to add to them.

Last edited by xxbossmanxx; 26th June 2007 at 09:23 PM..
Old 26th June 2007, 09:37 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You know what? I frikken hate economics and politics yet I have to listen to the gurus here all the time and I leave the post alone if I dont have anything constructive to add to them.
First of all, profiting from poker, while being a resident of the United States, is illegal. Publishing certain kinds of data after mining is also illegal. Routine collection certain kinds of data is illegal in the E.U. and many other contries. Stealing other people's data by scraping it from the open and repackaging it is a potential copyright violation almost everywhere.

If you frikken (sic!) hate economics and politics, you don't stand a chance understanding this stuff.

Also, I don't think illegal activities should be promoted here.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 26th June 2007 at 09:43 PM..
Old 26th June 2007, 09:42 PM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point

bossman, I too am wondering what you have in mind, but here's my 2 cents' worth

Gathering data from other sites is rarely gonna be useful unless you have a unique way to draw conclusions from it or otherwise analyze it. And no legal worries there IMO; the raw content is subject to copyright protection but results from analyzing data in the aggregate is certainly not. Re-purposing is a little trickier. Avoiding the term "screen scraping" is probably in your best interest tho.

Personally I think the most interesting data is user-supplied. Anything the user clicks on or enters into a text field on your site can be collected and analyzed. It should be, for anyone who builds interactive sites. That's how sites evolve. It may also prove to be a valuable asset at some point.
Old 26th June 2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
First of all, profiting from poker, while being a resident of the United States, is illegal. Publishing certain kinds of data after mining is also illegal. Routine collection certain kinds of data is illegal in the E.U. and many other contries. Stealing other people's data by scraping it from the open and repackaging it is a potential copyright violation almost everywhere.

If you frikken (sic!) hate economics and politics, you don't stand a chance understanding this stuff.

Also, I don't think illegal activities should be promoted here.

Looks like it is you who doesnt understand much. my poker profits are legal. do some homework. And explain an illegal activity I am doing. I never said what data I am going to mine or anything. Stop being so ignorant.

And this is coming from a club of scalper opportunists (which am a member of ) geez so its like honor amongst theives deal eh?
Old 26th June 2007, 09:47 PM
Veteran

Noting how you have rubberduck.com in your signature, here is a tip: xxbossmanxx.com is still available for reg fee.
Old 26th June 2007, 09:50 PM

Bah this thread sux, lets talk about dname some more.
Old 26th June 2007, 10:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
And this is coming from a club of scalper opportunists (which am a member of ) geez so its like honor amongst theives deal eh?
I don't know about you. You may be part of a club of scalpers, but you know what? I'm an honest man, and many here are also honest business men.

I deeply resent you painting this forum and those who participate here as some kind of crooked gang.
Old 26th June 2007, 10:21 PM

Lol, ya thats what I said. Maybe you should start a grass roots movement to expell me.

Legit business men make offers, deals and network resources, kinda like the 1st post in this thread.

So far most of what I have seen is the focus on scalping names (which is fine) and maximizing profits by spamming up the net. (which is also fine) BUT just like we have all spoken of before, dev. is also a key to alot of our biz. models.

Ask my customers who received over $2,000 free from me how honest I am.

"If you frikken (sic!) hate economics and politics, you don't stand a chance understanding this stuff."-- Your logic is always flawed, I hate math as well but will whip about everbodys ass in it.
Old 26th June 2007, 10:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
So far most of what I have seen is the focus on scalping names (which is fine) and maximizing profits by spamming up the net.
Lets see here, we are scalpers and spammers, I dare you say, cybersquatters.

And you are an honest guy who gives out $2K to poker players for free.

Sounds about right.

Quote:
"If you frikken (sic!) hate economics and politics, you don't stand a chance understanding this stuff."-- Your logic is always flawed, I hate math as well but will whip about everbodys ass in it.
You deserve a bit of an arse whoopin' yourself for calling people here dishonest, scaplers, and spammers.

Old 26th June 2007, 10:40 PM

Nope, more garbage posting from you. I have ummm 14 websites. 1 is about poker. I directed a few comments to 2 members here. The 2 most negative high horsers here.

My def of spam is different than yours.

We all know we are scalpers.