IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th June 2007, 07:01 PM

Pete is an unknown quantity at this point
Television, telephone... big names with nothing; why?

How come domains like television.com, telephone.com and a bunch of other obvious ascii generics have no parked pages, or anything to monetize them?
They don't seem tied up in dispute, no TM issues, and I don't think there are SE "penalties" for having parked them at one point if you fully develop later.

I often come across those in IDN format as well and it's a mystery to me.
Anyone knows?

Cheers
Old 27th June 2007, 07:03 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: Television, telephone... big names with nothing; why?

http://germany.com/
Old 27th June 2007, 07:14 PM

Tanx for the link.
This guy wants to keep his domain for personal reasons it seems, but he also has two ads on the front page which must be paying for more than bandwidth.
Old 27th June 2007, 07:16 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Just like someone owning a plot of land in an expensive residential or business area and not doing anything with it.
Old 27th June 2007, 07:25 PM

Interesting analogy, but putting ads on a parked premium generic costs nothing and generates a relatively good amount.

Maybe the owner of television.com doesn't want to "taint" the name with parking, and would rather let it go nowhere while waiting for big offers?
Old 27th June 2007, 07:26 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

telephone.com, i just had communications with someone from telephone.com on matters of my software business. seems that they are a Lebanon startup providing telephone services!
Old 27th June 2007, 07:31 PM
Veteran

Some people dream of turning every rumcakes.com into a profitable business to the max. Others don't have a clue. Simple as that.
Old 27th June 2007, 07:41 PM

telephone.com at least a "coming soon" post.
Here are some other mystery domains that don't resolve to a real site:

psy.com
pod.com (ipod similarity?)
mex.com
groove.com
pre.com
paf.com
sec.com
reg.com

etc.

Maybe they all have different reasons.
Old 27th June 2007, 07:50 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
telephone.com at least a "coming soon" post.
Here are some other mystery domains that don't resolve to a real site:

psy.com
pod.com (ipod similarity?)
mex.com
groove.com
pre.com
paf.com
sec.com
reg.com

etc.

Maybe they all have different reasons.
A whole lot of those 3-char names, among others, were registered for 10 years during 1997. Some of the people could be dead, in jail, forgot about the domains when they changed email accounts, etc and so forth.

Old 27th June 2007, 07:53 PM
Veteran

Domain Name.......... pod.com
Creation Date........ 2000-01-11
Registration Date.... 2000-01-11
Expiry Date.......... 2008-01-11
Old 27th June 2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
A whole lot of those 3-char names, among others, were registered for 10 years during 1997. Some of the people could be dead, in jail, forgot about the domains when they changed email accounts, etc and so forth.

You are probably right for a few of those. I bet they would make interesting stories! A bit like dormant bank accounts from pre-ww2 that just keep generating interest with untraceable owners.
Old 27th June 2007, 08:54 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Just like someone owning a plot of land in an expensive residential or business area and not doing anything with it.
i know a few city boys who have bought london property as an investment, they can't be arsed with all the hassle of being a landlord and renting out - so they simply board it up and come back to it in a few years time.
Old 27th June 2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
i know a few city boys who have bought london property as an investment, they can't be arsed with all the hassle of being a landlord and renting out - so they simply board it up and come back to it in a few years time.
I think the parallel with real estate can only go so far with domaining.
Renting can really be a hassle and there are tax issues with land usage, but domain parking only takes 2 minutes to switch on or off.

Besides, I though that top generic in their parked or portal version could actually generate xxx xxx$, anually, like sex.com for the most famous example?
Maybe it isn't so?
Old 27th June 2007, 10:08 PM
Veteran

Actually, if IDN traffic takes off, a lot of us with big portfolios will be stuck with exactly the same problem, and will be the subject of ridicule on other forums. I can almost hear the annoyance of people entering their city name IDN and seeing a parking page.

If you own prime commercial real estate, the location sells itself.

Compare the above example with http://chicago.com/ developed to the max, almost every inch of that site is a commercial proposition.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 28th June 2007 at 01:14 AM..
Old 28th June 2007, 06:07 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Actually, if IDN traffic takes off, a lot of us with big portfolios will be stuck with exactly the same problem, and will be the subject of ridicule on other forums. I can almost hear the annoyance of people entering their city name IDN and seeing a parking page.

If you own prime commercial real estate, the location sells itself.

Compare the above example with http://chicago.com/ developed to the max, almost every inch of that site is a commercial proposition.

That IDN traffic will take off is already a foregone conclusion.

To rephrase: When IDN traffic takes off, a lot of us with big portfolios will be stuck with exactly the same problem, and will be the subject of ridicule on other forums.
Old 28th June 2007, 06:14 AM
Veteran

Just seen on a Russian forum: a post asking why the news on новости.com (news.com) is not in Russian.
Old 28th June 2007, 08:28 AM

xxbossmanxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to xxbossmanxx Send a message via MSN to xxbossmanxx Send a message via Skype™ to xxbossmanxx

Because it is prob. chump change to the owners. What could a park page bring in monthly to a domain like that?

Could it possibly bring 1k a month? Even if it could what is 12k a year to big time business? And I think I am giving the guessed amount too much credit, it would prob. be more like 500 a month.

Alexa has it ranked in the low 500k range, that is a good amount of traffic though considering it's got to be mostly uniques since who would go back lol.
Old 28th June 2007, 08:36 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbossmanxx
Because it is prob. chump change to the owners. What could a park page bring in monthly to a domain like that?

Could it possibly bring 1k a month? Even if it could what is 12k a year to big time business? And I think I am giving the guessed amount too much credit, it would prob. be more like 250 a month.
who knows?

Television has a 750k monthly ovt

i forget the type in calc that is often quoted, but making a lot of assumptions... to get $250 a month...

at $0.10 a click ave

thats 2500 clicks needed

so from that 750k ovt, approx 0.3% needs to convert to visits & clicks or typein & clicks

i'd say that was do-able
Old 28th June 2007, 08:53 AM
Veteran

I read somewhere that you can estimate daily traffic for ASCII by OVT with extension.
Old 28th June 2007, 09:25 AM
Veteran

After almost 15 years after it abandoned its New York flights, Cayman Airways last weekend re-launched that route with a trip to the United States’ leading commercial centre.

On Saturday 23 June, the northbound flight to New York departed with the return leg completed the following day, Sunday 24 June.

http://www.caymannetnews.com/cgi-scr...160/016008.htm