IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > IDN Newbies

IDN Newbies IDN domain newbie questions like What is an IDN domain, what are idners, how do you use punycode, is there a Japanese sedo etc. Since this is a new market please don't hesitate to ask questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2007, 12:30 AM

alibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to alibuba
New here and really need some help

ok so i have a japanese domain that i want to register but dont know where exactly to go from there. from what i think im supposed to do, i go to the top button that links to idntools.net then i insert the domain i want into the puny converter then i take the conversion and put it into the status check tool. but the problem i dont even know if i am doing this right and whether it is translating it properly. thanks
Old 29th June 2007, 12:33 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: New here and really need some help

If registering in .com go here and paste in the Japanese: domainsite.com

If registering in .jp go here and paste in the Japanese: JP-Domains.com

Don't worry about the punycode thing. You register a name directly, not through punycode.
Old 29th June 2007, 12:42 AM

alibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished road

thanks for the help blast. one more question how and were is the the best place to get english to japanese translations. and im not able to see japanese characters even though i have it set up. i only see utf encoding when its another language.
Old 29th June 2007, 01:38 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Welcome to IDNF. If you are not sure of the spelling or quality of your name, you can register at Dynadot.com, where you have approx. a 3 day grace period to cancel your name if needed. They don't offer that at Domainsite and it is not offered on any .jp domains.

Some register their "questionable" names at dynadot, then put them up for appraisal here. Just a note that is common sense...don't put unregistered names up for appraisal as they can be quickly stolen. Good luck.
Old 29th June 2007, 04:08 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

jim breen's dictionary is concise and generally pretty good with limitations - google it and you will find it

there are better dictionaries in Japanese but you need to navigate a japanese interface
Old 29th June 2007, 04:29 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibuba
thanks for the help blast. one more question how and were is the the best place to get english to japanese translations. and im not able to see japanese characters even though i have it set up. i only see utf encoding when its another language.

Translators won't tell you whether the word is the primary or population version, you should use google trends and JP OVT to validate your keyword.
Old 29th June 2007, 06:42 AM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibuba
ok so i have a japanese domain that i want to register but dont know where exactly to go from there. from what i think im supposed to do, i go to the top button that links to idntools.net then i insert the domain i want into the puny converter then i take the conversion and put it into the status check tool. but the problem i dont even know if i am doing this right and whether it is translating it properly. thanks
The status checker has integrated punyconversion, all the tools have that.
You can enter mixed puny/unicode, it will convert the unicode.

Punyconversion should be fine since I last updated it and the rfc hasn't changed in the meanwhile so it should be ok.
Old 29th June 2007, 11:29 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
jim breen's dictionary is concise and generally pretty good with limitations - google it and you will find it. there are better dictionaries in Japanese but you need to navigate a japanese interface
There are often different ways and scripts to say the same word in Japanese. Usually one is great, the others secondary or very lightly used. (Thats why you will find many of these secondary terms still open to register)

Make sure you check Japanese overture for popularity and searches, and also google with "quote" marks around the term to look for total uses and relevant website pages.
Old 29th June 2007, 10:45 PM

thanks everyone for all the help i greatly appreciate it. All the problems i had have been resolved. thanks