IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 域名

域名 Discussion for Chinese IDN domain names. Chinese domains include .cn, .com, & .net.
This section is for discussion only Please do NOT post Chinese domains for sale here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2007, 06:36 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Some analytics data (past week) for 120 chinese idns.

Some analytics data for my 120 chinese minisites - 24-Jun-07 30-Jun-07.

For adsense reasons, this excludes adult and trademarks (so excludes usually high type-in names like names of portals).

# ----------------------------------------
Direct Traffic
24-Jun-07 30-Jun-07
# Table
Country Visits Pages/Visit Avg. Time on Site % New Visits Bounce Rate Visits G1 Conversion Rate Per Visit Goal Value
China 121 1.5041323 46 0.88429755 0.636363626 121 0 0 0

Referring Sites (not sure what this is?)
24-Jun-07 30-Jun-07
# Table
Country Visits Pages/Visit Avg. Time on Site % New Visits Bounce Rate Visits G1 Conversion Rate Per Visit Goal Value
China 71 1.3943661 15 0.957746506 0.760563374 71 0 0 0

Search Engines: ALL
24-Jun-07 30-Jun-07
# Table
China 89 1.4606742 19 0.977528095 0.80898875 89 0 0 0

Search Engine: Google Only
24-Jun-07 30-Jun-07
# Table
China 85 1.4705882 20 0.97647059 0.811764717 85 0 0 0

Last edited by touchring; 30th June 2007 at 06:48 PM..
Old 30th June 2007, 06:54 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Some analytics data (past week) for 120 chinese idns.

Well dot CN is going to be aliased into the Root in November if ICANN Board resolutions are anything to go by. At that point the split root and the software that interfers with dot com resolution should disappear.

Everything can change not only rapidly but also somewhat unpredictably. Anyone who thinks this ain't going to happen might as well go walk about in Sinai for the next 40years.
Old 30th June 2007, 07:08 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Well dot CN is going to be aliased into the Root in November if ICANN Board resolutions are anything to go by. At that point the split root and the software that interfers with dot com resolution should disappear.
Yes, I believe this as well. There are going to be a *whole* lot of pissed off chinese foo.com.cn and foo.net.cn holders. Right now, these guys think they hold foo.com and foo.net in pure chinese.

Old 4th July 2007, 12:58 PM

MDM is on a distinguished roadMDM is on a distinguished roadMDM is on a distinguished roadMDM is on a distinguished roadMDM is on a distinguished roadMDM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Yes, I believe this as well. There are going to be a *whole* lot of pissed off chinese foo.com.cn and foo.net.cn holders. Right now, these guys think they hold foo.com and foo.net in pure chinese.

This sounds too technical for me, do you mean the chinese idn.com and chinese idn.net we are holding today are indeed chinese idn.com.cn and chinese idn.com.net?? I'm blurred here.

And what RD says is optimistic or pessimistic to chinese idn.cn and chinese idn.com?
Old 4th July 2007, 01:02 PM
Veteran

Don't bother with the jargons, just know that .com is the emperor in asia.

If you still have any doubts, do consider this for a moment:

キーワードアドバイスツール

# 入札を希望するキーワードに関するアドバイスが得られます。 お客様のサイトに関連するキーワードを入力してください。複数の候補が表示されます。 お客様が入力したキーワードを含む関連キーワード
# 月間検索数(予測値)

入札したいキーワードを下に入力してください。 (表示に約30秒前後かかる場合があります)

注: すべてのキーワード候補は、当社の審査プロセスを経て承認されます。
検索数 2007年 4月
検索数 キーワード
1189049 価格 com

Last edited by touchring; 4th July 2007 at 01:08 PM..
Old 4th July 2007, 01:35 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
This sounds too technical for me, do you mean the chinese idn.com and chinese idn.net we are holding today are indeed chinese idn.com.cn and chinese idn.com.net?? I'm blurred here.
Verisign sells chinese idn.com and idn.net.

CNNIC sells chinese idn.com.cn and idn.net.cn, but the people who buy them mostly do not know that they are not chinese idn.com and idn.net because the CNNIC plugin hides this . CNNIC is pulling a big wool over their eyes, and the game is about to be exposed. That's why I said there will be a lot of pissed off chinese people.

Old 4th July 2007, 03:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Verisign sells chinese idn.com and idn.net.

CNNIC sells chinese idn.com.cn and idn.net.cn, but the people who buy them mostly do not know that they are not chinese idn.com and idn.net because the CNNIC plugin hides this . CNNIC is pulling a big wool over their eyes, and the game is about to be exposed. That's why I said there will be a lot of pissed off chinese people.

Why would the game be exposed? They are not idn.com and idn.net.

They are idn.gongsi and idn.wangluo.

And vice versa, idn.com is not idn.gongsi.

If we go by the books. .com is the short form for dot commerce.

Last edited by touchring; 4th July 2007 at 03:40 PM..
Old 4th July 2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Why would the game be exposed? They are not idn.com and idn.net.

They are idn.gongsi and idn.wangluo.

And vice versa, idn.com is not idn.gongsi.

If we go by the books. .com is the short form for dot commerce.

IDN.gongsi is aliased in the .cn root to IDN.com.cn, and IDN.wanglou is aliased in the .cn root to IDN.net.cn. You can access the same site using either form, but you need the CNNIC plugin for the IDN.gongsi or IDN.wanglou to work.

If ICANN aliases .com to .gongsi and .net to .wanglou in the "." root, then CNNIC will be forced to remove those aliases in the .cn root or Chinese surfers won't be able to access real .com and .net sites.

The only way around this situation of pissing off millions of Chinese IDN.IDN owners is if ICANN uses something other than .gongsi and .wanglou for aliasing of .com and .net in the "." root.

Old 4th July 2007, 06:06 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
IDN.gongsi is aliased in the .cn root to IDN.com.cn, and IDN.wanglou is aliased in the .cn root to IDN.net.cn. You can access the same site using either form, but you need the CNNIC plugin for the IDN.gongsi or IDN.wanglou to work.

If ICANN aliases .com to .gongsi and .net to .wanglou in the "." root, then CNNIC will be forced to remove those aliases in the .cn root or Chinese surfers won't be able to access real .com and .net sites.

The only way around this situation of pissing off millions of Chinese IDN.IDN owners is if ICANN uses something other than .gongsi and .wanglou for aliasing of .com and .net in the "." root.

.gongsi in china already resolves to .com within china borders
Old 4th July 2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy
.gongsi in china already resolves to .com within china borders
No it doesn't, it resolves to IDN.com.cn, but CNNIC plugin strips off the .cn from the end, giving the illusion which I am talking about.

Old 4th July 2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

ICANN committed a major error for not coming down hard on CNNIC for splitting the root.

Of course, if they'd pulled finger and fired up puny TLD's years ago, it wouldn't be a problem.

Traffic data at Alexa is showing a doubling of traffic to verisign's plug-in host since start of July.

Someone flipped a switch somewhere.

Interesting to see where the traffic to verisgin-grs.com is coming from:

China 27.1%
Turkey 11.5%
USA 9.9% (lots of US surfers navigating in their native language?)
Egypt 9.1%
Morocco 2.7%

A visit to http://www.verisign.com/support/registrar/ shows an interesting advisory dated 6/6/07:

"Advisory: Decommissioning of Web-based Navigation system for the distribution of i-Nav plugin"

Can't get to it - only for registrar eyes apparently.

Last edited by Drewbert; 4th July 2007 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 4th July 2007, 09:38 PM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
....Of course, if they'd pulled finger and fired up puny TLD's years ago, it wouldn't be a problem.
*exactly*

Aren't the USA numbers you show skewed by .web.com or one of those others? I think it's mainly Chinese traffic (unwittingly) relying on the plugin, although that doesn't explain the Turkey 11.5%
Old 5th July 2007, 03:24 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Traffic data at Alexa is showing a doubling of traffic to verisign's plug-in host since start of July.

Someone flipped a switch somewhere.

There's really a switch somewhere, check your silverclicks stats.

It would seem odd that changes in verisign stats can have such a big impact on chinese traffic. Do you think the verisign plugin stats are related to CNNIC's i-dns plugin?

Quote:
No it doesn't, it resolves to IDN.com.cn, but CNNIC plugin strips off the .cn from the end, giving the illusion which I am talking about.

Since March 2006. .gongsi works in China on firefox or IE7 without cnnic plugin. I think they did something at the ISP level.

Last edited by touchring; 5th July 2007 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 5th July 2007, 05:15 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

We know that Chinese ISPs add dot CN to their own extensions.

I suspect that they add dot CN to dot Com IDN as well, which is why our traffic is crap!
Old 5th July 2007, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

If that was the case, there would be cause to complain loudly to ICANN, that one of their contractually obligated ccTLD managers was dicking with the DNS.

Can someone confirm/deny this with examples please?
Old 5th July 2007, 05:40 AM
Veteran

Quote:
If that was the case, there would be cause to complain loudly to ICANN, that one of their contractually obligated ccTLD managers was dicking with the DNS.

Can someone confirm/deny this with examples please?
ICANN cannot say anything at the moment because they have not delivered on their promises. There is clearly an unspoken understanding between ICANN and CNNIC, which almost certainly means that ICANN have to button their lip until they have got their act together.
Old 5th July 2007, 05:45 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I suspect that they add dot CN to dot Com IDN as well, which is why our traffic is crap!

No, they don't. Since 2005 December (almost 2 years ago), we've been trying to guess if idn.com is diverted to idn.cn, and i did my research in the month or so that follow that, before i started buying chinese names from the secondary market.

Almost 2 years. Oh how time flies.

Still buying, bought my best chinese product name a few days back. Buying names is like shopping, always on a lookout, and buying non-stop!

Last edited by touchring; 5th July 2007 at 06:05 AM..
Old 5th July 2007, 06:35 AM

chinadomains is an unknown quantity at this point
never hesitate to own a goog idn

I have two chinese idn domains have more than 1500 ip visitor per day each.
Old 5th July 2007, 06:53 AM
Veteran

Re: never hesitate to own a goog idn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadomains
I have two chinese idn domains have more than 1500 ip visitor per day each.

Can you tell us more about their traffic on 1st June as compared to 1st May?
Old 5th July 2007, 07:38 AM
Administrator

And 1st July, of course