IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th July 2007, 05:43 AM

alex is an unknown quantity at this point
"Take a 5 year nap"

Schilling on Schwartz

Quote:
After the November 2004 announcement of Marchex's acquisition of the Yun Ye domain portfolio, Rick Schwartz made a fabled post on his private board that spoke to the fact that the domain industry was in its infancy..

The best course of action in his opinion was to "take a 5 year nap".

I would have personally been better off (saved opportunity cost) to speak to no-one and take a "five year nap", letting others find their own way through the education process and value proposition of domaining ...
Old 4th July 2007, 05:50 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: "Take a 5 year nap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex
I think we would all have been better off if Rick had taken a Five Year Nap.

This industry just isn't all about him, although he does as much as he can to distort it that way.
Old 4th July 2007, 07:16 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I think we would all have been better off if Rick had taken a Five Year Nap.

This industry just isn't all about him, although he does as much as he can to distort it that way.
sorry Dave I have to wave the bollocks card at that statement - as tempting as it is to to keep quiet

as much as I dislike Ricks people skills, in the Ascii world of domains he has advanced the industry and he has achieved much. He is a business man first, so of course it's for personal gain, who wouldn't - but at the same time, others have benefited massively.

yes there is a disconnect with IDNs, but then personally i don't think it matters - we will all ride the coat tails of the trail blazers, and domain names and their owners no matter what language will all benefit.

and feel free to counter my comments, but I will not be drawn into a bitching match - i've said my bit.

:rant: over
Old 4th July 2007, 07:31 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

If Ye Yun had put the money he earned in 2004 into Chinese and oil stocks, he will be a billionaire today.

Domains can only enrich a person to some point, after which they would need to invest in "real investments".

But in a bubble economy like today, domaining is still less risky, especially if you know how to go after cheap buys and drops. But then, a little bit of liquidity also won't harm. I see buying opportunities ahead, especially in the Asia Pacific region.
Old 4th July 2007, 08:36 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
sorry Dave I have to wave the bollocks card at that statement - as tempting as it is to to keep quiet

as much as I dislike Ricks people skills, in the Ascii world of domains he has advanced the industry and he has achieved much. He is a business man first, so of course it's for personal gain, who wouldn't - but at the same time, others have benefited massively.

yes there is a disconnect with IDNs, but then personally i don't think it matters - we will all ride the coat tails of the trail blazers, and domain names and their owners no matter what language will all benefit.

and feel free to counter my comments, but I will not be drawn into a bitching match - i've said my bit.

:rant: over
I am not saying that TRAFFICS has made no contribution clearly that would be bollucks. It has partiallly filled a need, but that need would have inevitably have been filled by other if TRAFFICS had not existed.

Frankly, I doubt very much whether Ricks overall contribution has raised the game beyond the level where it might have been without him. Much of the positive impact will have been registered in the early days. Most of the manipulation and obstructive activity has been more to fore in the last year. I severe doubts whether Rick is an effective ambassador to the Industry as a whole. I severe doubts whether the information being disseminated by TRAFFICS is actually beneficial.

Perhaps Rick did invent the wheel who knows. Such developments, however, are inevitable.
Old 4th July 2007, 12:29 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Quote:

Frankly, I doubt very much whether Ricks overall contribution has raised the game beyond the level where it might have been without him.
You weren't around at the time so you can't possibly know. Ask around. He wasn't the only one but he was the most vocal about it (sound familiar?) and he did put his money where his mouth was by creating T.R.A.F.F.I.C.

Is he the smartest/most successful in the biz? Probably not. But he's accountable of putting some of today's domain millionaires on the right track.

Problem is some of you like to turn this into an ASCII vs IDN thing all the time, taking pokes at what is being said or not done, etc., whilst absorbing everything (and sometimes praising) what some of the (blind) Traffic folks post daily on their blogs.

As for TRAFFIC events; have you been at one? How can you opine about the benefits (or not) of these events?
Old 4th July 2007, 01:34 PM
Veteran

No, I haven't and would not ever go whilst it is under the current management, unless there is dramatic change, which I cannot see happening.

I can glean enough from Ron Jackson's write ups to tell me that at a commericial level that I have no need of Rick and the way he has treated even some of his inner circle suggest to me that there is no merit in collecting him as a social aquaintance.

Look at a couple of things that have happened in recent years. Rick has single handedly created a stampede up the blind canyon of dot mobi, whils ensuring that most of his closest associates have been shut out of the IDN bonanza.

Sorry, but if I want Orange Juice, Champagne or Fillet Steak, I will buy my own. If I want the best information available in the domain industry, I won't find it at Traffics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni
You weren't around at the time so you can't possibly know. Ask around. He wasn't the only one but he was the most vocal about it (sound familiar?) and he did put his money where his mouth was by creating T.R.A.F.F.I.C.

Is he the smartest/most successful in the biz? Probably not. But he's accountable of putting some of today's domain millionaires on the right track.

Problem is some of you like to turn this into an ASCII vs IDN thing all the time, taking pokes at what is being said or not done, etc., whilst absorbing everything (and sometimes praising) what some of the (blind) Traffic folks post daily on their blogs.

As for TRAFFIC events; have you been at one? How can you opine about the benefits (or not) of these events?
Old 4th July 2007, 01:56 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Quote:

Look at a couple of things that have happened in recent years. Rick has single handedly created a stampede up the blind canyon of dot mobi, whils ensuring that most of his closest associates have been shut out of the IDN bonanza.

Sorry, but if I want Orange Juice, Champagne or Fillet Steak, I will buy my own. If I want the best information available in the domain industry, I won't find it at Traffics.
Hmmm, contrary to popular belief, most (if not all) of Rick's closest associates do not follow what he does, blindly. Most are extremely successful businessmen in their own right in the domain biz and elsewhere. And a bunch of them do own idns.

As far as the best info in the domain industry, I'm sure you won't find it all in one venue alone. There are gems to be collected everywhere in regards to different aspects of the business.

In reference to the idn bonanza, most of the top "ascii crowd" are just now starting to scratch the top of the iceberg in regards to the potential of their portfolios. Why embark on a new landrush when you're sitting on a volcano full of opportunity about to erupt, if only for diversification?

Anyways, each plays their game according to their individual strategy in regards to their short-term and long-term planning and according to the cards each one holds.