IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12th July 2007, 03:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 141
iTrader: (2)
Rep Power: 476
Pete is an unknown quantity at this point
Latin single chars: what worth to expect ?

I recently got a few latin single chars idns.
Here are some:

ǿ.com
ǿ.net
ŏ.net
ī.net
ŝ.net
ŵ.net

It seems there are only about 120 legal single chars in the latin scripts, some more common used than others. That makes a very finite list.
They can't be compared to ascii, but I wonder what you think of their potential value. Things to consider are viewability, typability, way it actually looks as a link, etc.

All latin single chars in .com and .net are now taken, but most of them are still available in .tv for instance, so that got me wondering about their desirability.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12th July 2007, 04:28 PM
xxbossmanxx's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 429
iTrader: (6)
Rep Power: 0
xxbossmanxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to xxbossmanxx Send a message via MSN to xxbossmanxx Send a message via Skype™ to xxbossmanxx
Re: Latin single chars: what worth to expect ?

I used to think these would be super duper valuable. At one point about 4 years ago I owned about 80 of those 120 1 letter latins. I now have maybe 25 and have offered them before but no takers.
__________________
I Build sites like this for cash and IDN's.
http://www.rarecom.com/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12th July 2007, 05:01 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
xxxbossmoonxxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Latin single chars: what worth to expect ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbossmanxx
I used to think these would be super duper valuable. At one point about 4 years ago I owned about 80 of those 120 1 letter latins. I now have maybe 25 and have offered them before but no takers.
Awesome thinking. But not to be discouraged. As you say, if you build they will come. so, build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbossmanxx
I used to think these would be super duper valuable. At one point about 4 years ago I owned about 80 of those 120 1 letter latins. I now have maybe 25 and have offered them before but no takers.
Awesome thinking. But not to be discouraged. As you say, if you build they will come. so, build.

Last edited by xxxbossmoonxxx; 12th July 2007 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12th July 2007, 05:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 109
iTrader: (13)
Rep Power: 459
nicb5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Latin single chars: what worth to expect ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
I recently got a few latin single chars idns.
Here are some:

ǿ.com
ǿ.net
ŏ.net
ī.net
ŝ.net
ŵ.net

It seems there are only about 120 legal single chars in the latin scripts, some more common used than others. That makes a very finite list.
They can't be compared to ascii, but I wonder what you think of their potential value. Things to consider are viewability, typability, way it actually looks as a link, etc.

All latin single chars in .com and .net are now taken, but most of them are still available in .tv for instance, so that got me wondering about their desirability.
I would honestly steer clear of other extensions if I were you. It is already extremely hard to market or try to sell .tv and .ws with awesome keywords that offer tons of development opportunities so i'd say it would be pretty much impossible to do something with those chars. The only good thing I can see is their limited availabilty... but that is probably just good for .com and .net for it is most of the time the extension people that use latin script languages go for. I would keep your others for a while to see if trends do change.

Nick
__________________
I am currently building tools for domainers. Feel free to PM me if you need anything!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12th July 2007, 05:20 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
xxxbossmoonxxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Latin single chars: what worth to expect ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicb5
I would honestly steer clear of other extensions if I were you. It is already extremely hard to market or try to sell .tv and .ws with awesome keywords that offer tons of development opportunities so i'd say it would be pretty much impossible to do something with those chars. The only good thing I can see is their limited availabilty... but that is probably just good for .com and .net for it is most of the time the extension people that use latin script languages go for. I would keep your others for a while to see if trends do change.

Nick
I don't know. i think it's good to have a few but this would depend on search engines and many factors besides that. if they take a semantic approach to search further, what value these single characters might have? yes they are easy to remember (if you spend a lot of money to promote remembering them).
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12th July 2007, 05:35 PM
touchring's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,547
iTrader: (29)
Rep Power: 1258
touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Latin single chars: what worth to expect ?

Keep the better ones.

I got only 2:

ë.net
ï.net
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:28 AM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54