IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > IDN Domain Appraisals

IDN Domain Appraisals Appraisals by other members on International domain names.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th July 2007, 12:47 PM

dotworx is an unknown quantity at this point
廣州市.net - GuangzhouCity.net

廣州市.net

Capital of Guangdong Province.
It's in traditional Chinese though.

Comments?
Old 13th July 2007, 01:05 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: 廣州市.net - GuangzhouCity.net

8 million population city, 9 million google "廣州市"
Worth holding for a while, when IDNs go mainstream some will be interested at well above reg fee.
Old 13th July 2007, 01:12 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Traditional chinese x dot net x shi = valuation.

Old 13th July 2007, 02:03 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

A small prediction that if you hold it 3 years at $21 total reg fee, you will probably make 200% - 500% return on your investment. If you put that same investment into a Certificate of Deposit at 5% you would get $25 back at end of 3 years! I would gamble on the IDN.

Regarding .net, not that bad an extension for endusers...especially at .com prices.
As an example, does being a .net keep anyone from going to and using "idntools.net"

Last edited by bwhhisc; 13th July 2007 at 02:27 PM..
Old 13th July 2007, 02:45 PM

dotworx is an unknown quantity at this point

So you are talking about 500% of $21 = $105 in three years?? That's a bit far from my expectation honestly.... :P
Old 13th July 2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotworx
So you are talking about 500% of $21 = $105 in three years?? That's a bit far from my expectation honestly.... :P
I was being very conservative, this is all a crapshoot at this point.
If you ask some of the hardcore ascii guys, what "we" are registering will be completely replaced by "real IDNs".
Of course, they can't quite explain what those will be, or give you any basis or substance.

No reason for you not to be an optomist, who knows... you might get mid to high xxx or even up into the x,xxx for it.
There is no doubt a value to a city name that has 9 million google mentions even in .net and traditional Chinese.
Old 13th July 2007, 05:16 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

My accessment for what it is worth is that the Dot Net is only going to be worth 20% of the dot com and Shi is only going to be 20% of the value without. Clearly the Traditional is also not as valuable as the Simplified, although because they are equated by search engines perhaps more than some think. I would be guessing that this could reach low $X,xxx within a few years, but who knows.
Old 13th July 2007, 07:04 PM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

I would delete it now, IMHO.
Old 13th July 2007, 07:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by markits

Markits, brave words, respect.

Putting it in a nice way, would you register AmericanJewellery.net?
Old 13th July 2007, 08:37 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

.network and .commercial have specific purposes, I don't think ".com is king" works absolutely without regarding the purpose of the site.

In general I think .net is worth about %10 of .com, fluctuating up and down depending on the purpose.

I don't think Shi degrades the value much since it is clear that cities are officially referred to using the shi.

On top of the .net the real killer is the characterset.
Old 13th July 2007, 09:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramiozo
.network and .commercial have specific purposes, I don't think ".com is king" works absolutely without regarding the purpose of the site.

In general I think .net is worth about %10 of .com, fluctuating up and down depending on the purpose.

I don't think Shi degrades the value much since it is clear that cities are officially referred to using the shi.

On top of the .net the real killer is the characterset.

The usage of shi is not quite similar in china as they do in japan. official yes, and specifically when used as an adjective, e.g. shanghai city government.

Though i think dot net isn't the issue here, the issue is traditional chinese for a china city name. It's like using "Centre" for a shopping mall in america.

Last edited by touchring; 13th July 2007 at 09:21 PM..
Old 13th July 2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markits
This one has stats that would get attention from non-Chinese speaking domainers at an IDN auction.
I would recommend that he should hold it a few years and take his chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
The usage of shi is not quite similar in china as they do in japan. official yes, and specifically when used as an adjective, e.g. shanghai city government. Though i think dot net isn't the issue here, the issue is traditional chinese for a china city name. It's like using "Centre" for a shopping mall in america.
IF you are interested about information pertaining to a city, then searching without the shi gets you tons
of BS in addition to what you want. Searching with the shi gets you more relevant sites.

The valuation is up the market in the end. Major Chinese cities without shi will be xx,xxx and probably xxx,xxx someday.
Even if Chinese shi cities are mid x,xxx or low xx,xxx they are still going to make everyone that reg'd them quite happy.

For Japan the jury is still out on valuation of shi vs. non-shi for cities among end users in Japan. A few Japanese have
told us that when you write or type a Japanese city you almost always include the shi. Don't think this is true of
China I agree, but to search the internet for city related info it can be helpful.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 13th July 2007 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 13th July 2007, 09:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
This one has stats that would get attention from non-Chinese speaking domainers at an IDN auction.
I would recommend that he should hold it a few years and take his chances.

IF you are interested about information pertaining to a city, then searching without the shi gets you tons
of BS in addition to what you want. Searching with the shi gets you more relevant sites.

The valuation is up the market in the end. Major cities will be xx,xxx and probably xxx,xxx someday.
Even if shi cities are mid x,xxx or low xx,xxx they are still going to make everyone that reg'd them quite happy.

True, the main problem will be the T.C. Unlike 'centre', where you can type even if you use a US keyboard, the input software for TC and SC are quite different.
Old 13th July 2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
True, the main problem will be the T.C. Unlike 'centre', where you can type even if you use a US keyboard, the input software for TC and SC are quite different.
Agree wholeheartedly on the Traditional Chinese. But 9 million google pages is a bunch. Who is doing all this writing in TC?

At any rate, don't forget there are two thoughts on marketing here....those buying to sell to the Chinese, and those
buying to sell to both Chinese domainers/enusers AND/OR the "non-Chinese speaking" domainers (Westerners).

The non-Chinese domainer market would probably scoop this up on stats alone and figure if they hold it they will
double or triple there money a few years later. I mean, sheeesh... they are buying mixed scripts, dingbats etc. etc.
this domain will have to look like gold to some! At least this is a REAL idn, and heck Frank Schilling has done wonders for
the .net IDN "brand" if you have read his blog a month or so ago.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 13th July 2007 at 09:54 PM..