IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2006, 04:01 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point
ICANN and VeriSign - buddies again?

http://www.icann.org/announcements/a...nt-28feb06.htm

Marina del Rey, California, 28 February 2006: Today, ICANN's Board of Directors approved, by a majority vote, a set of agreements settling a long time dispute between ICANN and VeriSign, the registry operator for the .COM registry.

These settlement documents include a new registry agreement relating to the operation of the .COM registry. The new .COM registry agreement will now proceed to the U.S. Department of Commerce for final approval, and the entire settlement is dependent upon this approval before it is finalized. USDOC approval is required due to the unique history of the .COM generic top-level domain and it is the only gTLD which requires such approval. If approved, this settlement will clear the way for a new and productive relationship between ICANN and VeriSign facilitating ICANN's stewardship and technical coordination of the Internet's domain name system.

ICANN's Board voted 9 to 5 in favor of the settlement agreements with one director abstaining. Affirmative votes were cast by the following Board Members: Vint Cerf (Chairman), Alejandro Pisanty (Vice-Chairman), Mouhamet Diop, Demi Getschko, Hagen Hultzsch, Veni Markovski, Vanda Scartezini, Paul Twomey (President and CEO), and Hualin Qian. Directors who voted against the approval of the settlement documents were: Raimundo Beca, Susan Crawford, Joichi Ito, Njeri Rionge, and Peter Dengate Thrush. Director Michael Palage abstained. Statements by Board members on their votes will be posted on the ICANN website within the next two days.

All we need now is ICANN endorsing VeriSign's DNAME Equivalence Mapping for TLD Strings and we are going to be disgustingly rich (not just simply rich), since all of our IDN.coms will also be IDN.IDNs.

It might be just just an idea, but what if ICANN gets a collective letter from IDNForum members saying...we are a 100 end-users/businesses, representing xx number of countries/languages fully support the DNAME mapping proposal and think it's the best way to make the internet international...etc
Just a thought.
Old 1st March 2006, 04:24 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Re: ICANN and VeriSign - buddies again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer

All we need now is ICANN endorsing VeriSign's DNAME Equivalence Mapping for TLD Strings and we are going to be disgustingly rich (not just simply rich), since all of our IDN.coms will also be IDN.IDNs.

It might be just just an idea, but what if ICANN gets a collective letter from IDNForum members saying...we are a 100 end-users/businesses, representing xx number of countries/languages fully support the DNAME mapping proposal and think it's the best way to make the internet international...etc
Just a thought.
I agree with this. This time to act is now. What numbers are there to call and what are the addressess I am in.

Adam.
Old 1st March 2006, 04:33 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
I agree with this. This time to act is now. What numbers are there to call and what are the addressess I am in.

Adam.
vint@google.com
Old 1st March 2006, 05:02 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

If ICANN approves dnames, when it would be implemented would depend on when Verisign goes ahead with it, am i correct? Or is there some sort of roadmap that has already been planned so far? So any rollout will take at least 2 years??
Old 1st March 2006, 05:06 PM

I assume that if ICANN endorses DNAMES, VeriSign will go head with it. Since IDN.IDN would equal IDN.com, VeriSign will stand to gain a lot of business administering .coms.
Old 1st March 2006, 05:13 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
If ICANN approves dnames, when it would be implemented would depend on when Verisign goes ahead with it, am i correct? Or is there some sort of roadmap that has already been planned so far? So any rollout will take at least 2 years??
Verisign have already made it clear that it could be implemented almost immediately and it would seem that would be their intention. I think Verisign are working with CNNIC as this time and using China as a test bed but that has not been explicitly stated.
Old 1st March 2006, 05:26 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwrixon
Verisign have already made it clear that it could be implemented almost immediately and it would seem that would be their intention. I think Verisign are working with CNNIC as this time and using China as a test bed but that has not been explicitly stated.
Verisign had always been working with cnnic and other east asian nics, but they do not announce the details, or have we missed some announcements.

Last edited by touchring; 1st March 2006 at 05:31 PM..
Old 1st March 2006, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

>All we need now is ICANN endorsing VeriSign's DNAME Equivalence Mapping for TLD
>Strings and we are going to be disgustingly rich (not just simply rich), since all of our
>IDN.coms will also be IDN.IDNs.

And you don't think some ICANN watchers will figure that out when you send a letter?

I'd sit back and wait for the inevitable.

Quietly.
Old 1st March 2006, 06:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
>All we need now is ICANN endorsing VeriSign's DNAME Equivalence Mapping for TLD
>Strings and we are going to be disgustingly rich (not just simply rich), since all of our

And you don't think some ICANN watchers will figure that out when you send a letter?

Quietly.
By IDN.IDNs, do you mean it can any any ".IDNs." or just the ones specified by Icann for that language?
Old 1st March 2006, 07:02 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Quietly.
IDN is not a secret the ones that see it are in and have theirs, we can't buy out the entire market. There will be many to register for a couple years. The truly best are gone already.

Why would you want to wait to be rich if you had the chance tomorrow?
Old 1st March 2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Quietly.
Several interested parties are already present during those IDN meetings. Who is protecting our interests?
Old 1st March 2006, 07:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
By IDN.IDNs, do you mean it can any any ".IDNs." or just the ones specified by Icann for that language?
If DName goes live, then any ICANN approved Alias for any language will be be acceptable for any gTLD, whether or not that Registry even does the second level or not. At this rate dot RU will become it cyrillic equivalent even before the Russian Registry starts taking registrations.

Dot Com will be represented in every language in the world. If you don't like your own representation, then use someonelse's. Those that want to continue with the Latin dot com will be free to do so. China should be able to choose which Arabic characters it wants to substitute dot CN.

As present the new "temporary" Top Level ccTLDS are not valid, but DName should enable second or third level ccTLD to mascarade as Top Level TLDS. This should not be lost on CNNIC as I went to the trouble of pointing this out to their ICANN representative.

What will fry everybody's mind will be be the introduction of Universal Keywords which could be implemented using the same technology in accordance to a proposal that I submitted to ICANN and Verisign.
Old 1st March 2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:

According to VeriSign's proposal and as far as I understand, ".com" in any particular language will resolve in .com, which you already hold. So your japaneseIDN.com, will resolve in japaneseIDN.japanesedotcom, so the end user won't have to type in english .com and switch the keyboard.
Old 1st March 2006, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
Several interested parties are already present during those IDN meetings. Who is protecting our interests?
We're Registrants.

We've never had any true representational power at ICANN and probably never will. ICANN sides with whoever gives them money or power.

The deal with Verisign proves it.
Old 1st March 2006, 07:32 PM

Quote:
We're Registrants.

We've never had any true representational power at ICANN and probably never will. ICANN sides with whoever gives them money or power.

The deal with Verisign proves it.

You might be right. I am just thinking that the more people submit feedback to ICANN that DNAME proposal makes sense, the more likely ICANN will endorse it.
Old 1st March 2006, 07:38 PM
Administrator

The Registrars complained about the Verisign deal and were ignored. They write big cheques to ICANN every month.

You think they'll listen to Registrants?

Fwaaaaaaaarp!
Old 1st March 2006, 07:44 PM

Quote:
The Registrars complained about the Verisign deal and were ignored. They write big cheques to ICANN every month.

You think they'll listen to Registrants?

Fwaaaaaaaarp!
Well I don't know about you and other's on this board but I am not a person to just sit and take something.

I understand why you would want this to stay low for awhile but the ball is in motion already and we might as well try and keep spinning it.
Old 1st March 2006, 08:01 PM
Administrator

>Well I don't know about you and other's on this board but I am not a person to just sit
>and take something.

You're about where I was in 1999 in your attitude to ICANN.

The only people that can make true change are US Citizens via the vote->senate/house->DoC->ICANN route.