IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2007, 01:47 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Watch out for scammers

I feel the need to expose a scam which is being perpetrated on this board, in the hope that nobody will fall victim to it.

The scam goes like this:

- member A buys a domain, typically chinese city related genre, from a chinese member (member B)

- soon afterwards, member B starts to offer more of these domains to member A via PM for much higher prices, but the member A refuses

- after some time, member B (pretending to be someone else) uses a gmail account, typically with the word "chinacity" in the address, to make an high-sum offer for the domain that member A purchased from him and also asks member A if he has any more of these type of domains (an obvious attempt to trick member A into going to the forum and buying the offered domains from member B)

After private discussions with another board member, I am not the only member here who has been approached with this scan, but I won't mention the other member. If he feels so inclined, he can chime in to this thread and verify what I am saying. I also won't mention the perpetrator of this scam, unless the site admin wants to know then I will tell him via PM.

More than ever, buyer beware and beware of suspisciously high offers for your chinese city-related domains.

Old 14th July 2007, 01:55 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough
Re: Watch out for scammers

Jackson
thanks for the info. Your post is the type we need to keep this board trust worthy. Also, if the other parties don't understand what they are doing is scamming members here then someone may need to inform them in the native language.

although I assume this type of activity happens every so often on any type of forum where sales occur.

tee1
Old 14th July 2007, 03:14 PM

ala101 is an unknown quantity at this point

if i ever meet this kind of members then i will directly give him a negative itrader so other members will be careful!

Thanks for these great info Mike!
Old 14th July 2007, 03:17 PM

ala101 is an unknown quantity at this point

if i ever meet this kind of members then i will directly give him a negative itrader so other members will be careful!

Last edited by ala101; 14th July 2007 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 14th July 2007, 03:33 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

tht's odd, anyone else here experiencing this as well?
Old 14th July 2007, 04:20 PM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road

I have seen this in trading in the real world

" thief A "have 1000 of xxx keyboards for sale and none wants to buy them even for 5$ per piece.

" thief A " go to electronic store or shop and offers them the 1000 keyboards for 50$ a piece.... they say no ... we don't need them. He offers them to keep 2 or 3 of them for free and test if these kind of keyborads will sell. they finally agree.

" thief B" go to the same electronic store or shop and pretends as if he is a wholesale trader and buy some stuff and he shows interest in the keyboards and ask if they can get him 3000 of these keyboards.

" thief A " return back to the store and this time they will buy the 1000 keyboards from him for 50$ and asks for more of them.

" thief A " & " thief B " vanishes and the keyboards never sell .....

it is similar to the old appraisal scam ... they pretend as if they are buyers and ask you to appraise the name at certain companies for high costs......
Old 14th July 2007, 04:55 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

The only promises I put any store by are those from known quantities, which of course includes Paypal.
Old 15th July 2007, 12:22 AM

sunsei21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sunsei21 Send a message via Skype™ to sunsei21

basic variation of a old con surprised that someone would try it on a forum of all places
Old 15th July 2007, 12:33 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsei21
basic variation of a old con
sunsei, if you heard of any good new ways please PM me, thanks!

Thanks for the heads up Jackson
Old 15th July 2007, 05:44 AM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree, very important post Jacksonm... thanks for outlining this scam.

Just glad they tried it on someone like yourself first (as others might have fallen for it).

Cheers - Asiaplay
Old 15th July 2007, 05:49 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Definitely an issue, as the number of unsolicited approaches from natives is rising sharply, and not just Chinese. The Game is on and the scammers know it!