IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2007, 10:37 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Firefox now a serious threat to IE in Europe: report

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/13517/53/

"Mozilla's Firefox (FF) web browser has made dramatic gains on Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) throughout Europe in the past year with a marked upturn in FF use compared to IE over the past four months, according to French web monitoring service XiTiMonitor.

A study of nearly 96,000 websites carried out during the week of July 2 to July 8 found that FF had 27.8% market share across Eastern and Western Europe, IE had 66.5%, with other browsers including Safari and Opera making up the remaining 5.7%. The July market share represents a massive 3.7% rise since a similar survey in March.

A particularly worrying sign for Microsoft is that in some key European markets FF is threatening to overtake IE as the market leading browser. In Slovenia (47.9%) and Finland (45.4%) FF usage has reached parity with IE, while in Germany, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Croatia and Ireland, FF has either reached or is nearly at 40% market share."

"Another worrying sign for Microsoft is that a separate survey from XiTiMonitor taken over the same period is that there has been a reluctance of IE users to adopt the latest version of the browser IE7, even in markets where IE is strong.

Only about one third of IE users have adopted IE7 compared to 85% of FF users who have adopted the latest version of the browser, FF2. Significantly, FF2 has a greater market share than IE7 in 17 European territories, while IE7 is ahead of FF2 in 16 territories."

Last edited by jacksonm; 15th July 2007 at 10:43 PM..
Old 15th July 2007, 10:44 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: Firefox now a serious threat to IE in Europe: report

Get rid of them both. We need Opera.
Old 16th July 2007, 12:06 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

FIREFOX SUCKS - It shows the punycode not the unicode!!
Old 16th July 2007, 12:07 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy
FIREFOX SUCKS - It shows the punycode not the unicode!!
Yeah, sucks if your portfolio is heavier in the .com/.net side than it is in the ccTLD side.

Old 16th July 2007, 12:28 AM

dotworx is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally prefer Safari... so much smoother than Firefox and IE.....
Old 16th July 2007, 12:30 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotworx
Personally prefer Safari... so much smoother than Firefox and IE.....
I will compare Safari to a Kia

Firefox and IE are wayyyy better
Old 16th July 2007, 12:39 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy
I will compare Safari to a Kia

Firefox and IE are wayyyy better
I've always found IE (including IE7) to be a hideous piece of bloatware crap.
Old 16th July 2007, 12:52 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it would be interesting for us .com .net holders if firefox got parity or better with MS. The IDN revolution would never happen. Who wants to see punycode? Let's defeat the radical, work for free, anti-IDN, communists threatening Internet Explorer dominance. Who's with me?

Old 16th July 2007, 12:54 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

What domainers need is a search engine plugin for IE7 that redirects typeins and search queries to domain names. Who's ready to set this massive redirection toy up?

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 16th July 2007 at 01:01 AM..
Old 16th July 2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
What domainers need is a search engine plugin for IE7 that redirects typeins and search queries to domain names. Who's ready to set this massive redirection toy up?
No, what is needed is a firefox "IDN" plugin that allows users to switch on unicode easily for .com/.net. Users will never go to about:config and start adding hierarchical boolean values, and firefox team will never add it as an option in the gui options.

A plugin of this type which is then listed on plugins.mozilla.org, however, will probably be deleted soon afterwards.

Old 16th July 2007, 01:42 AM
Veteran

Who cares if it shows up in punycode, I for one don't, as long as there is a chance to click on my PPC ads.

The key to traffic is pure typeins, people pressing return in the URL box and getting to the domain they typed in.

This is why Opera and Safari combined account for 80% of all typein traffic that currently exists.
Old 16th July 2007, 04:01 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course showing up in punycode is critical. I like sex with an orgasm, don't like it nearly as much without one.
Type-in behavior is a feedback loop and our communist friends at Firefox have a browser that doesn't create positive reinforcement.

Plug-ins are not the answer. Never have been. Never will. Either we get the monolingual communists at firefox to fix their browser or we (including RD) must pitch in and help MS win this battle somehow.
Old 16th July 2007, 04:11 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is why Opera and Safari combined account for 80% of all typein traffic that currently exists.

For your Russian IDNs? For direct traffic, this is my sample break down! Opera almost does not exist.

Browser Visits
Internet Explorer 1228
Firefox 1040
Safari 227
Mozilla 102
Camino 2
Mozilla Compatible Agent 2
SAMSUNG-SGH-ZV40-Vodafone 1
Old 16th July 2007, 05:13 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Never mind all that. If MS wants to compete it has to get its browser out there, however, lame. Firefox 3 is just around the corner. What is MS playing at? Don't they understand that controlling the browser market is the key to the future. If they don't do this they are toast. Makes little odds I think to type in traffic whether it displays correctly or not. Anyway the default settings in FF can be changed with an update anytime. I don't care who wins or loses as long as IE6 gets buried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Well it would be interesting for us .com .net holders if firefox got parity or better with MS. The IDN revolution would never happen. Who wants to see punycode? Let's defeat the radical, work for free, anti-IDN, communists threatening Internet Explorer dominance. Who's with me?

Old 16th July 2007, 05:44 AM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Firefox now a serious threat to IE in Europe: report

Great news... hope grows even faster...

MS really does needs to stop being ignorant and ensure that:-

a) the "smooth text" does not destroy non-latin texts (at the moment the default for this is auto on and it causes line overlaps for all Chinese / Asian fonts I have seen & many English fonts also displaying Chinese, Korean & Japanese characters - basically means 98% of Asian websites now will not display properly & means I can use Verdana, Verdana or Verdana as a font choice if I want it to work on IE7 - shows a definite inner, mis-informed arrogant view that English is the only language in the world used on the internet - this alone I hope leads to their browser being dropped 100%)

b) Really truly also allow the "philishing" function to be turned off, as it seems to run off USA servers and slows browsing down to a crawl (yes, there is a function to turn this off, but does not seem to really turn it off or do they run other tracking via their browser that is causing this - whichever way - they can keep it).

c) Get a decent level of CSS support (and other net technologies) - at the moment it is always their browser which is not CSS compatible (why are they so far behind the pack!!!).

I hated IE7 so much, I even reinstalled my laptop to get rid of it totally (what a mess that version is - made by idiots for English internet users only)!!!.
Firefox is my daily choice (as is stable), Safari I like, as fonts look great in it, photos seem to be slightly less clear compared to Firefox (but still has some stability issues).
Opera, sad to say, love it for my mobile... but yet to even try it for my laptop (partly as I have been focusing on how 94 to 95% of the world will see my websites, rather than 5%).

Onward and upward Firefox, Opera & Safari!!!

Cheers all & death to IE7 - Asiaplay

PS: I agree that punny-code resolution for IDNs would be nice...
But Jacksonm is correct for Firefox - for my IDN ccTLD I am seeing the IDN website name resolved in native languages within the browser url window - e.g. .cn, .tw, but not .hk etc. (is this an added argument in support of ccTLD verse .com - lol - ok short-term maybe !!!

Interest sideline - I saw an alternative browser in China the other day (called World something) - seemed to be a rip off of IE6, without any bugs fixed (i.e. still does not resolve punny-code at all for even .cn). My guess is that it's signature for tracking statistics shows as IE6 - groan (makes me start to wonder how many alternative browsers are floating around in China, which do not support IDNs).

Last edited by Asiaplay; 16th July 2007 at 05:51 AM..
Old 17th July 2007, 11:45 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Maybe but currrent traffic figures suggest that dot com is still way ahead whether it displays properly or not.

It probably is not much of an issue really. I mean does it actually show anything different before you hit the return button. If not then what odds does it really make?
Old 17th July 2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Maybe but currrent traffic figures suggest that dot com is still way ahead whether it displays properly or not.

It probably is not much of an issue really. I mean does it actually show anything different before you hit the return button. If not then what odds does it really make?
Many users will believe they have been redirected and landed on the wrong website. It erodes trust.

Old 17th July 2007, 11:58 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Many users will believe they have been redirected and landed on the wrong website. It erodes trust.

It would seem that this kind of paranoia is largely a US concern.

The biggest phishing risk in Asia is actually caused by making people navigate in alien scripts.
Old 17th July 2007, 12:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
If they click on a link in Yahoo Japan to my site, and then see punycode in the url bar, while obviously at my site, as they can tell from the logo, it becomes quite clear to the user that the browser they are using for some reason does not support Japanese URLs. Simple as that.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 17th July 2007 at 01:08 PM..
Old 17th July 2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
If they click on a link in Yahoo Japan to my site, and then see punycode in the url bar, while obviously at my site, as the can tell from the logo, it becomes quite clear to the user that the browser they are using for some reason does not support Japanese URLs. Simple as that.

You overestimate the level of intelligence and technical understanding of your target audience, or perhaps it's just wishful thinking.

This will be a problem for most people when they try an IDN and land at xn--w8t.biz. Bring SSL and ecommerce into the picture on an IDN site and you have a whole new problem - certs will be issued to xn--w8t.biz.