IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > IDN Domain Appraisals

IDN Domain Appraisals Appraisals by other members on International domain names.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22nd July 2007, 06:20 AM
Wot's Avatar
Wot Wot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,588
iTrader: (30)
Rep Power: 1670
Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough
French - any good?

œuvre.com xn--uvre-f4a.com


http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=...e+Google&meta=

oeu·vre (œ'vrə)
n., pl. oeu·vres (œ'vrə).

1) A work of art.

2)The sum of the lifework of an artist, writer, or composer.

[French œuvre, from Old French uevre, work, from Latin opera, from pl. of opus, work
__________________
红旗.com
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22nd July 2007, 07:27 AM
zenmarketing's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 579
iTrader: (21)
Rep Power: 525
zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: French - any good?

Worth keeping, at the very least
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22nd July 2007, 09:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 330
iTrader: (8)
Rep Power: 488
L@@K is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: French - any good?

œuvre , as cœur for example, are very good words BUT 99% of french don't know how to writte this !

Even me, who had a pc since years and develop etc... I don't know how to writte œ ... (except by copy/paste)

What about your trafic? 0, no ?

Good Luck
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22nd July 2007, 10:42 AM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4511
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: French - any good?

My thoughts exactly. On the 3 R's test, this would fail miserably on the Reproducibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L@@K
œuvre , as cœur for example, are very good words BUT 99% of french don't know how to writte this !

Even me, who had a pc since years and develop etc... I don't know how to writte œ ... (except by copy/paste)

What about your trafic? 0, no ?

Good Luck
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22nd July 2007, 07:03 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2680
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: French - any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L@@K
œuvre , as cœur for example, are very good words BUT 99% of french don't know how to writte this !

Even me, who had a pc since years and develop etc... I don't know how to writte œ ... (except by copy/paste)
Why not? Why do French not make an effort to make technology to write their language?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 22nd July 2007, 08:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 330
iTrader: (8)
Rep Power: 488
L@@K is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: French - any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Why not? Why do French not make an effort to make technology to write their language?
Why don't you make an effort to understand foreign market instead of wanting educate it ?

When I was in student in Commerce School, one of the first lesson was "know your market"...
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 22nd July 2007, 08:44 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2680
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: French - any good?

How can I make an effort to understand, if I ask you, the expert, and you do not explain?

I have found that in other languages there is often a political reason some letters are not included. For example, after Communists took over Russia, they changed the writing system, so even today, some letters are impossible to type, and the purpose was to prevent people writing in the old style.

However, in the case of French, I can see no reason why these characters are not easy to type in French, as they are currently used.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 22nd July 2007, 11:29 PM
Wot's Avatar
Wot Wot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,588
iTrader: (30)
Rep Power: 1670
Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough
Re: French - any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L@@K
œuvre , as cœur for example, are very good words BUT 99% of french don't know how to writte this !

Even me, who had a pc since years and develop etc... I don't know how to writte œ ... (except by copy/paste)

What about your trafic? 0, no ?

Good Luck

Now some do : ALT+0156-->œ

Traffic "0" but then registered yesterday - strangely the .net was registered last month!
__________________
红旗.com
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 330
iTrader: (8)
Rep Power: 488
L@@K is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: French - any good?

ALT + 0156, lol !

Thx for the tip, but i'm not sure I will remember this in 2 hours...

Here's what you find on GG Trends for coeur & cœur, for example, i think it could be useful for all...

About œuvre, there's simply none results... a good clue, no?
Probably ex owner of œuvre.com dropped it several weeks ago.

As I said, concerning french, better is to let them to... me :p
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:21 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2680
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: French - any good?

Results 1 - 100 of about 33,800,000 for ++++"cœur". (0.08 seconds)
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 330
iTrader: (8)
Rep Power: 488
L@@K is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: French - any good?

Off course!

when you write a website, you try to avoid mispelling, no?

But, now,L@@K here and you will see that only 1 on 10 websites use cœur instead of coeur in their title... (heart in french)

And, it's only wiki !

A good clue, no?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:33 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2680
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: French - any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L@@K
Off course!

when you write a website, you try to avoid mispelling, no?
Could you explain why French do not make it easy to type correct French? Is there some conspiracy against this letter?
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 330
iTrader: (8)
Rep Power: 488
L@@K is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: French - any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L@@K
As I said, concerning french, better is to let them to... me :p
:p
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 109
iTrader: (13)
Rep Power: 462
nicb5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: French - any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Results 1 - 100 of about 33,800,000 for ++++"cœur". (0.08 seconds)
??% How does that even constitue a valid argument? What is it supposed to proove? In this particular case (the œ character), high google results means nothing. People that type in "heart.com" WILL write it "coeur" and not "cœur" and that is the only important thing to know. Even if œ is still the mandatory way of writing the 25 words it is used in (that's right... only 25 in 35000), it is archaic french in both writing and typing. No one ever writes the œ ligature. It even looks akward to us!

Luckily for you Wot, Google will return pages with both ways of writing it when someone searches for "oeuvre" so it's not necesarily a terrible name to drop now. But the big problem, will be getting users back to the address without making a mistake typing the name.

My guess is this is just another episode of shit stirring by blast, because I can't imagine any sensible webmaster or domainer claiming that the number of google results is of any importance, when it is specified that search volume is nearly zero!

You look like a person that likes to debate blast. Care to develop your point with the google search results?
__________________
I am currently building tools for domainers. Feel free to PM me if you need anything!
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 23rd July 2007, 01:04 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2680
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: French - any good?

We are trying to get to an understanding here, not debating or arguing. Understanding comes from a thorough examination of the facts, and search engine results are part of those facts. And it holds that this letter appears on websites 38 million times, so quite a few people are using it.

I asked several times why this ligature is not written, and no explaination was given by you French experts.

In fact, you contradict L@@K, who says this is the correct way of writing and spelling. Is it correct, or is it archaic?
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 23rd July 2007, 01:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 109
iTrader: (13)
Rep Power: 462
nicb5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: French - any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
We are trying to get to an understanding here, not debating or arguing. Understanding comes from a thorough examination of the facts, and search engine results are part of those facts. And it hold that this letter appears on websites 38 million times, so quite a few people are using it.

I asked several times why this ligature is not written, and no explaination was given by you French experts.

In fact, you contradict L@@K, who says this is the correct way of writing and spelling. Is it correct, or is it archaic?
Let me start by saying it is a very technical and complicated linguistic issue, where a small board of people decide most of the rules. Keep in mind that we only speak the language and are not experts on the subject. We give you insight based on our own browsing habits and the ones of the people surrounding us. Sometimes what we say might not seem logical to you guys but it is reality. We are not playing smartass. We do this to help you. Do we have answers and explanations for everything concerning our language? No we don't and I think nobody as all the answers fortheir native language.

With that out of the way, here is my understanding of the issue:

Indeed it is the correct way of writing those words. That is a fact.

We don't type it because we do not write that character. I do not know why we don't but it's just like that... on paper you will always see oe and not œ. I guess it is just a way that was developed to write faster. Also, the fact that more common words are written correctly with oe like "boeuf" "oeuf" or "oeil" doesn't help (remember there are only 25 œ words). If you combine both of those factors you can maybe start to see why its usage went down with time. Then they didn't include it on a keyboard because of the very low amount of words that uses it and that only reinforced the trend of not using the character since nobody likes to type with alt-combos. The reason why you see them written correctly at some sites is that popular spellcheckers will auto convert to a ligature when it sees one of those 25 words written with oe.

That is pretty much all I know about what you asked. Hope it helps.
__________________
I am currently building tools for domainers. Feel free to PM me if you need anything!
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 23rd July 2007, 01:46 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2680
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: French - any good?

Got it. Thank you for explaining.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 23rd July 2007, 05:01 AM
Wot's Avatar
Wot Wot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,588
iTrader: (30)
Rep Power: 1670
Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough
Re: French - any good?

So basically it sucks
__________________
红旗.com
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 23rd July 2007, 05:09 AM
touchring's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,547
iTrader: (29)
Rep Power: 1260
touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: French - any good?

wot sucks??
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 23rd July 2007, 05:53 AM
Wot's Avatar
Wot Wot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,588
iTrader: (30)
Rep Power: 1670
Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough
Re: French - any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
wot sucks??

Charming - After that I am leaving the board for two weeks.

Off to freezing cold blighty!
__________________
红旗.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:58 AM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54