IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > Idners Clubhouse

Idners Clubhouse Idners Clubhouse is the place to hang out & chill when you just feel you've searched for IDN Domains a tad too much. General offtopic conversation. Please don't post SPAM here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:12 AM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb .ASIA - ascii pre-registration has started (info for u only / not .asia discussion)

Hi All,

I know this is not an IDN post... but maybe is interesting information, to some of you... so I thought I would share this here anyway.

One registrar based in Singapore has opened / started pre-registration for ".asia" ascii domains (not IDNs for .asia).
Please note that the actual domains will not be active until February 2008 and if more than one person pre-registering a domain, an auction to be held in February 2008, will determine the final winner.

See http://www.ipmirror.com/Domains/asiasunrise.html for more information.

Hope some of you find useful - cheers, Asiaplay

PS:
- please do not address any questions on .asia to me (I am not associated and know as much as the information seen above).
- I am not interested in discussion on the use of .asia (this is an information post only).
- Apparently a launch date for IDNs has not yet been set (but some time 2008 is expected... after .ascii domain names has been settled) - more information is available at www.dotasia.org ...
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:20 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: .ASIA - ascii pre-registration has started (info for u only / not .asia discussion)

I would advise caution. I got ripped off with pre-registrations for dot EU.
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:25 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: .ASIA - ascii pre-registration has started (info for u only / not .asia discussio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay
Hi All,

I know this is not an IDN post... but maybe is interesting information, to some of you... so I thought I would share this here anyway.

One registrar based in Singapore has opened / started pre-registration for ".asia" ascii domains (not IDNs for .asia).
Please note that the actual domains will not be active until February 2008 and if more than one person pre-registering a domain, an auction to be held in February 2008, will determine the final winner.

See http://www.ipmirror.com/Domains/asiasunrise.html for more information.

Hope some of you find useful - cheers, Asiaplay

PS:
- please do not address any questions on .asia to me (I am not associated and know as much as the information seen above).
- I am not interested in discussion on the use of .asia (this is an information post only).
- Apparently a launch date for IDNs has not yet been set (but some time 2008 is expected... after .ascii domain names has been settled) - more information is available at www.dotasia.org ...
If official auctions are going to decide the winners, getting involved in pre-registrations seems 100% pointless to me ....
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:32 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: .ASIA - ascii pre-registration has started (info for u only / not .asia discussio

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
If official auctions are going to decide the winners, getting involved in pre-registrations seems 100% pointless to me ....
Not if the purpose is to defraud the would be registrant it is not!
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:35 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:

Pre-registration is basically a registrar running a lottery where he does not possess the prize which you are after. He will try to get the prize for you, but chances are that he will fail because many other registrars are also holding the same lottery for the same prize. A million people will all be pre-registering japan.asia, etc, and the registrar will get X million dollars worth of pre-reg fees, non-refundable, of course. If you "pre-reg" 20 domains, and you don't get any of them, then the registrar still has your 20 x reg fee (which you can use to buy whatever crappy domains are still left).

You have better chances hand-regging when the doors open. Don't fall for the "pre-reg" scam.

Old 23rd July 2007, 10:51 AM

Agree all...

Only point I can see in pre-registration is for the domains one really, really wants... as I understand it will be at worst an auction among only those who have pre-registered (not an open auction... but that is not confirmed 100%).

The domain registrar involved in my experience is not a rip-off type of registrar - but agree there are always risks.

Thanks for warning comments though - appreciate that - cheers, Asiaplay.
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:47 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agree all...

Only point I can see in pre-registration is for the domains one really, really wants... as I understand it will be at worst an auction among only those who have pre-registered (not an open auction... but that is not confirmed 100%).

The domain registrar involved in my experience is not a rip-off type of registrar - but agree there are always risks.

Thanks for warning comments though - appreciate that - cheers, Asiaplay.

No, you still don't understand. You can "pre-reg" at this registrar and another registrar can still get the domain for their customer. Your registrar has no better chance at getting this domain for you than the 200 other registrars who will be competing for the same domain for their customers. It is only an auction if a registrar does manage to get the name and more than 1 of his customers have "pre-regged" the same name.

The registrar is not ripping anybody off, technically speaking, by accepting pre-registration; you will have credit in their system if they don't get the name for you. But it is a *scheme* by them to get a lot of money by hopeful customers, when they damned well know that they will have less than a 1% success rate of obtaining the said name(s). In that way, they make a lot of money and you generally don't get the names you were after.

Take Dynadot, for example, during the .biz landrush. Now, I like Dynadot, they are my preferred registrar, but they f*cked this .biz pre-reg up royally. They had so many pre-regs and their system must have been going through the list sequentially that they actually managed to catch very few of them. I got 1 out of 15. There were people here who were successfully hand-regging names on Dynadot, the same names which had been pre-regged by many others also on Dynadot including myself.

The fact of the matter is that they were more than happy to accept pre-reg money, but they didn't do anything to their pre-reg system to allow it to operate in concurrent mode or to prevent hand-regs of those same names. What makes you think that any other registrar would be different?

Old 23rd July 2007, 01:44 PM

Agree - which is why an auction at the end is a very important step in the process (or who knows which registrar will get registrations in first).

Also is only useful to pre-register, if they limit those pre-registered to the auction .... and assuming that any auction is run with last bid, within 24 hours being successful (rather than some live, immediate auction which limits people in different time zones)... so that people do really have a fair chance to bid.

All is more than a bit of a gamble I agree... cheers - Asiaplay...

PS:
Given that this Singapore registrar is the first (and only one at present, of all those who are acting / have signed up as registrars) to offer pre-registration - it shows they are at least organised... but agree, one has to hope they remember to put these registrations in timely and even more so that not too many one wants go to auction.

Actually I just choose to register a very, very, very small group which I want - and my guess is 90% I will get unchallenged... but is a gamble I totally agree (and not a cheap one at SG$50 per domain name).
Old 23rd July 2007, 01:49 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Agree - which is why an auction at the end is a very important step in the process (or who knows which registrar will get registrations in first).

Also is only useful to pre-register, if they limit those pre-registered to the auction .... and assuming that any auction is run with last bid, within 24 hours being successful (rather than some live, immediate auction which limits people in different time zones)... so that people do really have a fair chance to bid.

All is more than a bit of a gamble I agree... cheers - Asiaplay...

PS:
Given that this Singapore registrar is the first (and only one at present, of all those who are acting / have signed up as registrars) to offer pre-registration - it shows they are at least organised... but agree, one has to hope they remember to put these registrations in timely and even more so that not too many one wants go to auction.

Actually I just choose to register a very, very, very small group which I want - and my guess is 90% I will get unchallenged... but is a gamble I totally agree (and not a cheap one at SG$50 per domain name).
.asia = .junk
Old 23rd July 2007, 01:58 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
... Given that this Singapore registrar ...
Which registrar?

I had real hassles with a Singapore registrar recently trying to get a domain away from them. Not to mention they charge $45 per year for .com

adicio.net --> Stay well away from these cowboys
Old 23rd July 2007, 02:01 PM

ok - no more comments from me... and this is my last post on this thread or topic.
Remember post was just for information in case anyone was interested...

Thanks for warnings guys and other comments - appreciate your advice... cheers, Asiaplay...
Old 23rd July 2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
ok - no more comments from me... and this is my last post on this thread or topic.
Remember post was just for information in case anyone was interested...

Thanks for warnings guys and other comments - appreciate your advice... cheers, Asiaplay...

Remember, I'm not saying .asia is good or bad, I'm simply pointing out that pre-registration is nothing more than a win-win scheme for registrars and does very little to help hopeful registrants. That is my only point here.