IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > Noms de Domaine Français

Noms de Domaine Français IDN talk for French IDN Domains.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 30th July 2007, 03:03 AM
domainstosell's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,203
iTrader: (7)
Rep Power: 847
domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road
Some French Domains - Appraisals/Thoughts?

I grabbed a few French domains recently, and I'm looking for thoughts/appraisals. Also, my thanks (and apologies?) to L@@K and passengerpigeon for the inspiration on these.

JeuxVidéos.net - Video Games
231,292 FR OVT (showing the singular jeu vidéo)
2,280,000 Google.fr
Google Trends


LaTélévision.com - The Television
109,655 FR OVT (not showing the article)
2,090,000 Google.fr
Google Trends


éu.net - 2-letter, short form for US (?)
1,858 FR OVT
3,300,000 Google.fr
Google Trends


LaFée.com - "The Fairy" in French
11,304 FR OVT for "fée"
2,080,000 Google.fr for "la fée"
Google Trends
Also, I thought this was interesting: http://www.lafeecom.fr/ - They brand their site as LaFée.com
__________________
GasStations.org
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 31st July 2007, 12:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 109
iTrader: (13)
Rep Power: 467
nicb5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Some French Domains - Appraisals/Thoughts?

JeuxVidéos.net - Correct plural form is "Jeux Vidéo" but yours is still used a little bit so not that bad. You will get traffic but to most people this will look like a typo.

LaTélévision.com - Not a big fan of the articles in the names but they are sometimes used. In your case, since you have a good keyword, I can see plenty of development opportunities. It is the correct way of writing it.

éu.net - The correct short for the US would be é-u.net... This one is pretty meaningless in its current form.

LaFée.com - Same comment about the articles, but it is correct. The fact that a site brands itself as lafée.com is a good bonus. I don't have much to say on that one.

I only had time for a quick rundown, hope it helps

Nick
__________________
I am currently building tools for domainers. Feel free to PM me if you need anything!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 31st July 2007, 01:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 330
iTrader: (8)
Rep Power: 493
L@@K is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Some French Domains - Appraisals/Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainstosell
Also, my thanks (and apologies?) to L@@K and passengerpigeon for the inspiration on these.
No need to apology Dude (you know I congrat you by email yesterday), but my auction is still running (start at 150€ No reserve, for info lol!)
Please, next time, please be a little more patient !

Edited: nothing to add about your appraisal, nic5 is 100% right as usual !

Last edited by L@@K; 31st July 2007 at 01:30 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 31st July 2007, 03:50 AM
domainstosell's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,203
iTrader: (7)
Rep Power: 847
domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road
Re: Some French Domains - Appraisals/Thoughts?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. And good luck with the auction, L@@K!
__________________
GasStations.org
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2007, 07:16 PM
brianluedke's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
brianluedke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Some French Domains - Appraisals/Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainstosell
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. And good luck with the auction, L@@K!
Some of the above points were correct, but ignore the one suggesting that French people do not use articles. The opposite is true, although this misperception has certainly helped me through the years, eliminating misinformed, potential competitors.

Just consider my lead over the government of Gabon with my LeGabon.com versus their LeGabon.org.

Or my lead with LaSemaine.com ("Week" or "The Week") over the French government with LaSemaine.org or a private newspaper with LaSemaine.fr.

Consider my leurope.com over any number of national extentions.

Consider company Web sites such as limmobilier.com ("Real Estate", or "The Real Estate") or lavion.com ("Plane" or "The Plane").

In fact, in French, the article is so important, that a noun makes no grammatical sense without it. By contrast, in English, the article is not even necessary. If you look up "Africa" in a French-English dictionary, if they're giving you the full translation, they will provide "L'Afrique", and NOT "Afrique".

If you don't think the article is important, try writing a sentence with "Afrique" as the subject, without including the article. Impossible!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2007, 08:04 PM
jacksonm's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,843
iTrader: (26)
Rep Power: 990
jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Re: Some French Domains - Appraisals/Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianluedke
Just consider my lead over the government of Gabon with my LeGabon.com versus their LeGabon.org.
A government isn't likely going to use a .com. Brian, do you have split personality or bipolar disorder or something? You come here posting idiotic rants, after getting beaten up enough you finally start to behave rationally, then you're quiet again for a long while and finally come back with the idiotic rants. Is this a known cycle in other parts of your life?

.
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2007, 08:15 PM
brianluedke's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
brianluedke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Some French Domains - Appraisals/Thoughts?

And you, no doubt, are a font of wisdom? Do you even know where Gabon is? Well, the neighboring country is Congo, and what do you suppose the official Web site of Congo is? Congo-Site.COM!

What about the Republic of Togo? Well, they use RepublicOfTogo.COM.

Anyway, that's totally beside the point, and you obviously missed my point. I didn't mean that I got those names because the gov't might want them (I registered my .com before Gabon got the .org). I was discussing the use of articles in domain names, and using those examples to back up my case that articles are essential in French domain names.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
A government isn't likely going to use a .com. Brian, do you have split personality or bipolar disorder or something? You come here posting idiotic rants, after getting beaten up enough you finally start to behave rationally, then you're quiet again for a long while and finally come back with the idiotic rants. Is this a known cycle in other parts of your life?

.

Last edited by brianluedke; 4th August 2007 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2007, 09:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 330
iTrader: (8)
Rep Power: 493
L@@K is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Some French Domains - Appraisals/Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianluedke
Some of the above points were correct, but ignore the one suggesting that French people do not use articles. The opposite is true, although this misperception has certainly helped me through the years, eliminating misinformed, potential competitors.

Just consider my lead over the government of Gabon with my LeGabon.com versus their LeGabon.org.

Or my lead with LaSemaine.com ("Week" or "The Week") over the French government with LaSemaine.org or a private newspaper with LaSemaine.fr.

Consider my leurope.com over any number of national extentions.

Consider company Web sites such as limmobilier.com ("Real Estate", or "The Real Estate") or lavion.com ("Plane" or "The Plane").

In fact, in French, the article is so important, that a noun makes no grammatical sense without it. By contrast, in English, the article is not even necessary. If you look up "Africa" in a French-English dictionary, if they're giving you the full translation, they will provide "L'Afrique", and NOT "Afrique".

If you don't think the article is important, try writing a sentence with "Afrique" as the subject, without including the article. Impossible!
No, no and no !

First, Limmobilier is absolutely unknow to me. I know very well this market, I can tell you limmobilier is zero in french real estate market.
If he take it, it's only because immobilier was taken. See immobilier.fr for example, which is quite important in the market.

On the other hand, think about the possibilities immobilier give you:
credit.immobilier
annonces.immobilier
paris.immobilier
etc...

"In fact, in French, the article is so important, that a noun makes no grammatical sense without it."
Wrong and you can not generalize.

But sometimes and only sometimes, it can sound better with an article.
It's why i recently reg les-crédits, yes a shame for most of members here because of article+hyphen, but a very good key for me because with 'les' you generalize on all credit market.

So, i would advice members to avoid articles, better to take with an hypphen here.

Everybody here understand you say that because you haven't senegal nor gabon.

Or maybe you speak for francophone african countries, but for the french market your comment is quite wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 4th August 2007, 10:47 PM
brianluedke's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
brianluedke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Some French Domains - Appraisals/Thoughts?

Oh really? I don't have Sénégal.com? Did you bother to check before you made that assumption?

Of course, I also have LeSenegal.com and LeSénégal.com (with and without the accents), which will help me to avoid the confusion of mistakes concerning the absence of the required accents.

The simple fact is that the most popular Francophone Web sites -- LeParisien.com, LeFigaro.fr, LeMonde.fr, LAvion.com, leconomiste.com -- all use the article, and often use the .com, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L@@K
No, no and no !

First, Limmobilier is absolutely unknow to me. I know very well this market, I can tell you limmobilier is zero in french real estate market.
If he take it, it's only because immobilier was taken. See immobilier.fr for example, which is quite important in the market.

On the other hand, think about the possibilities immobilier give you:
credit.immobilier
annonces.immobilier
paris.immobilier
etc...

"In fact, in French, the article is so important, that a noun makes no grammatical sense without it."
Wrong and you can not generalize.

But sometimes and only sometimes, it can sound better with an article.
It's why i recently reg les-crédits, yes a shame for most of members here because of article+hyphen, but a very good key for me because with 'les' you generalize on all credit market.

So, i would advice members to avoid articles, better to take with an hypphen here.

Everybody here understand you say that because you haven't senegal nor gabon.

Or maybe you speak for francophone african countries, but for the french market your comment is quite wrong.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:54 AM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54