IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > IDN Domain Appraisals

IDN Domain Appraisals Appraisals by other members on International domain names.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st August 2007, 06:02 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road
Greek Help/Appraisals Please

I was looking into some Greek domains since I only have one or two, and I was a little surprised at what was still out there. Granted, most of these are .nets, but if they are correct, they sure seem pretty good (but I'm a little skeptical). Can someone please help me with some confirmations/appraisals?

Thanks!

βιβλίο.net (xn--kxafa1alz.net)
"Book"
2,660,000 Google.gr
Google Trends

εικόνα.net (xn--mxahmep3g.net)
"Picture"
3,550,000 Google.gr

εικονεσ.net (xn--qxaalepl4a.net)
"Picture"
172,000 Google.gr
49 US OVT
Google Trends

ταινία.net (xn--kxadb4au3b.net)
"Movie"
1,310,000 Google.gr
Google Trends

ράδιο.com (xn--hxaqpyg.com)
"Radio"
316,000 Google.gr

κινητάτηλέφωνα.net (xn--hxacmvbjgmof6eb3a6b.net)
"Mobile Phones" (κινητά τηλέφωνα)
545,000 Google.gr

Έλληνες.net (xn--ixaqfpan7b.net)
"Greeks"
1,660,000 Google.gr

εταιρεία.com (xn--kxadbnbx0dva.com)
"Company; Corporation"
3,990,000 Google.gr
Google Trends

εταιρεια.com (xn--mxaakbtb8cva.com)
"Company; Corporation"
479,000 Google.gr
Google Trends
Old 1st August 2007, 07:01 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Re: Greek Help/Appraisals Please

All are correct. Don't be surprised at all. But don't go crazy on Greek nets either.

As for: κινητάτηλέφωνα.net

Two word combos are iffy for me. But you never know..
Old 1st August 2007, 07:43 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road

Thanks Yanni, do you think they're worth keeping?

The reason I'm surprised is becuase prime generic terms like book, picture, movie, etc. in almost all other languages were gone months or years ago (even in .net).

Am I missing something?
Old 1st August 2007, 09:09 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Indeed, I have some Greek.net and don't get it either...

For instance αυτοκινητα.net ... and lousy performance on ND
Old 1st August 2007, 09:38 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose
Indeed, I have some Greek.net and don't get it either...

For instance αυτοκινητα.net ... and lousy performance on ND
Just step back for a minute and consider the amount of greek speaking people in the world... Same goes for Finland, I only have a couple of Finnish IDNs because the market is so small here (5m population).

Old 1st August 2007, 09:40 PM

sunsei21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sunsei21 Send a message via Skype™ to sunsei21

ya tons of .net left i fight not to grab more some get a trickle of traffic
Old 1st August 2007, 10:02 PM

That's true, that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Just step back for a minute and consider the amount of greek speaking people in the world... Same goes for Finland, I only have a couple of Finnish IDNs because the market is so small here (5m population).

Old 1st August 2007, 10:26 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

I don't know if it's just me, but the my best domains are the ones which languages I understand (pt,es,fr)
Old 1st August 2007, 11:25 PM

Steve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enough

However, they tend to get better rate per click than my other IDNS.
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:14 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road

I still get extremely decent .coms in a few of the smaller languages. So don't be surprised that you find nets in Greek.
I wouldn't hold my breath as far as resale values - especially Greek .nets - Greeks tend to love their .gr.
You'll barely find anything half decent in IDN.gr.
Develop one of them and watch your rates per click
I get better RPC on a developed Greek idn than a US-targeted ascii (same subject).

So, I would hold for developement only rather than resale purposes.
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:35 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

I have quite a few greek IDN.nets, which I registered with the aim to develop when I can. All are parked on Namedrive, along with most of my Greek IDN.coms as well.

However, there are a few .nets I have that are generating much more views and clicks than some of my other .coms.

One in particular is a Greek island, with the accent and a dot net extension, that has been out performing all others.

I know that with summer here, most Greeks have holidays on their minds, so I guess they do a bit of searching for various destinations.

But it still suprises me that this name has the most visitors, and a click through rate of about 60-70% each month. And its a .net and its with the accent ( I thought Greeks were too lazy to type the accents !! )

Anyway, park the ones you have, and see how they perform. You might be suprised at the results.

Good luck with them

Alex

Old 2nd August 2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd

But it still suprises me that this name has the most visitors, and a click through rate of about 60-70% each month. And its a .net and its with the accent ( I thought Greeks were too lazy to type the accents !! )

Alex
I would check to see if that particular one is in Google results. My bet is 10-1 that it is

As far as Greeks being lazy typing in the accent:

Generally, I believe that's the rule. But, it also has to do with who is doing the search.

For example, a young kid looking for "games" will most likely type it in without the accent.
A more mature person looking for "Crete" will most likely type in the word with the accent, due to different educational backgrounds.

Don't forget that the "monotonic" system has taken place in the last decade and a half or so. To someone like myself who was schooled with ancient Greek on a daily basis, even words with this simple accent mark (now in use) look weird.
But a 16 year old kid who's used to "Greek-lish" and "Latinized" Greek (on the net), will most likely follow the easy way out: No accent mark.

Lastly, since with IDN.gr the non-accented version of a word also maps to the accented version, people are used to typing in either version since they'll end up on the same site. The obvious choice here would be to use one less key-stroke.

Of course, that's not the case with .com-.net but surfers don't know that, or they're slowly finding out.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it