IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2007, 04:03 PM
Banned

brianluedke is an unknown quantity at this point
Isolated little club

I hate to say this, but some of you guys seem to be encouraging each other in a circular fashion, and everyone jumps on and insults any outsider who dares question your perception of reality.

Consider, for example, the likely outcome where the .IDN top-level domains will leave you standing alone in the cold rain. That is, those of you who have focused on Chinese and Japanese IDN, not the LatinIDN.com crowd.

That is, for the French, Spanish, or Germans, .com will always make sense (létat.com, etc.). For the Chinese and other Asians, .com will mean less and less as the .IDN sinks in. They prefer their own characters to meaningless c-o-m.

You keep telling yourselves that you will automatically get the .IDN equivalents of .com for free, just because you already have the Latin .com. But ask yourselves, how often do you get something for free, automatically, when companies can make customers compete, and pay?

Anyway, I know you're very proud of yourselves for now... until .IDN destroys your Asian conquests.

Your doomsday is fast approaching, with .IDN expected to roll out soon. My Latin buddies and I will still be sittin' pretty, since everyone in Europe loves a nice .com spelled correctly. When your day comes, I will accept all of you refugees in Europe, for a little river trip down the Rhone (LeRhône.com / LeRhone.com).
Old 4th August 2007, 04:08 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Re: Isolated little club

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianluedke
I hate to say this, but some of you guys seem to be encouraging each other in a circular fashion, and everyone jumps on and insults any outsider who dares question your perception of reality.
Brian, did somebody piss in your Fruit Loops this morning?

Old 4th August 2007, 04:10 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Brian, did somebody piss in your Fruit Loops this morning?

Sorry Brian but you aren't elite enough to be part of this club.......... You just don't have the droit.
Old 4th August 2007, 04:14 PM
Banned

I wasn't at the Waco compound. Were you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy
Sorry Brian but you aren't elite enough to be part of this club.......... You just don't have the droit.
Old 4th August 2007, 04:20 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Your doomsday is fast approaching, with .IDN expected to roll out soon. My Latin buddies and I will still be sittin' pretty, since everyone in Europe loves a nice .com spelled correctly. When your day comes, I will accept all of you refugees in Europe, for a little river trip down the Rhone (LeRhône.com / LeRhone.com).

Brian, i know what you are thinking about, but you might not know where the buyers come from. The buyers of chinese names are mostly ethnic chinese or their wife is chinese, and yes, they pay thousands of dollars for good names. They got the money and willing to spend. There are also british and american buyers, but they buy because they see the natives buying.

RD must had sold a couple hundred thousand in IDNs, and if you ask him for a breakdown of the background of his buyers, you'll be in for the surprise. I don't know what the breakdown is, and i'm sure it is some trade secret, but if he does reveal it, i'm sure it will be a surprise to all of us.

If you want to sell something for good bucks, you need to know your market, where your buyers will come from. Banging against the wall will not yield results. You are wasting your time trying to sell to the wrong people. You should be selling to a French audience, or french canadian, whatever.

Btw, yes, you can flip $50 or $100 names to anyone here, but i suspect you won't sell your senegal.com for 100 bucks? Right?

Last edited by touchring; 4th August 2007 at 04:33 PM..
Old 4th August 2007, 04:34 PM
Banned

It's good to see someone address the points of the discussion, instead of just cheap attacks. Thank you.

I'm sure business is booming right now, but do you really think it will still be party time when Chinese and Japanese top level domains arrive?

I mean, when there is the Russian equivalent of ".com", surely there will only be a tiny portion of Russians who will still prefer to use the Latin-character c-o-m. At that point, the people who have invested in "RussianIDN + Latin .com" will be massive losers.

Now, obviously, "Russian-for-Sex + Latin .com" and such hits will always be worth a little something, but comparatively not as much, since the Western-character c-o-m is more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Brian, i know what you are thinking about, but you might not know where the buyers come from. The buyers of chinese names are mostly ethnic chinese or their wife is chinese, and yes, they pay thousands of dollars for good names. They got the money and willing to spend. There are also british and american buyers, but they buy because they see the natives buying.

RD must had sold a couple hundred thousand in IDNs, and if you ask him for a breakdown of the background of his buyers, you'll be in for the surprise. I don't know what the breakdown is, and i'm sure it is some trade secret, but if he does reveal it, i'm sure it will be a surprise to all of us.

If you want to sell something for good bucks, you need to know your market, where your buyers will come from. Banging against the wall will not yield results. You are wasting your time trying to sell to the wrong people.

Btw, yes, you can flip $50 or $100 names to anyone here, but i suspect you won't sell your senegal.com for 100 bucks? Right?
Old 4th August 2007, 04:43 PM
Veteran

There is something you might not know, even an American that works only in America might not know. All things American are worshipped in China, Korea, and Japan, never mind the A-bomb. People eat burgers, listen to american music, and dress like the Americans. In Korea, they even go to the church like the Americans.

The situation is completely different from say France, or Germany (they stick to .de).

People here think differently, are open minded and accept foreign ideas and branding.

If you don't see this, i can understand this since you don't know the ground situation. people at IDNF and even some hardcore investors here can't figure this out.

Conclusion: The .com brand is very strong in East Asia.

Quote:
I mean, when there is the Russian equivalent of ".com", surely there will only be a tiny portion of Russians who will still prefer to use the Latin-character c-o-m. At that point, the people who have invested in "RussianIDN + Latin .com" will be massive losers.

I don't know about Russian. Lots of russian americans here, maybe they know better.

Last edited by touchring; 4th August 2007 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 4th August 2007, 04:53 PM
Banned

Actually, I have been an English teacher in Japan and Korea... but isn't it one thing to appreciate American culture, and another thing to be able to easily type in a Latin script, switching between alphabets on the keyboard?

And I would have to disagree with your inclusion of France among the countries that stick to the national domain. While many companies use the .fr, I would argue that at least an equal number use the .com, if for no other reason to avoid excluding the millions of French speakers in Belgium, Switzerland, and Quebec.

Quote:
There is something you might not know, even an American that works only in America might not know. All things American are worshipped in China, Korea, and Japan, never mind the A-bomb. People eat burgers, listen to american music, and dress like the Americans. In Korea, they even go to the church like the Americans.

The situation is completely different from say France, or Germany (they stick to .de).

People here think differently, are open minded and accept foreign ideas and branding.

If you don't see this, i can understand this since you don't know the ground situation. people at IDNF and even some hardcore investors here can't figure this out.
Old 4th August 2007, 05:03 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite honestly, I don't know how the whole .IDN extension thing will play out. I may well own it by default simply because of the confusion factor between 日本語.JP and 日本語.日本 will drive the registrar to make the right decision for its product which is to alias one to the other. But in the case that it doesn't happen and .日本 comes out onto the world stage as a wholly new extension, i am well capitalized to make out like a f$cking bandit! I have an extensive wishlist of valuable domain names I am going to go after. I have every reason to expect that my .日本 portfolio will be 2x stronger than my .JP portfolio!

In case things don't work out, your invite is gracious. I've been interested in doing a barge trip down the Rhone for a while.
Old 4th August 2007, 05:04 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
It's good to see someone address the points of the discussion, instead of just cheap attacks. Thank you.
Another guy that comes in swinging and then gets emotional when he gets Knocked Out , You make yourself a easy punching bag. And i can use the exercise been sitting reggin to many IDN's :p ...

Old 4th August 2007, 05:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Actually, I have been an English teacher in Japan and Korea... but isn't it one thing to appreciate American culture, and another thing to be able to easily type in a Latin script, switching between alphabets on the keyboard?

I think firefox already recognizes the dot and allows the com or jp or kr, or whatever to be typed without switching keys. Rhys also found out the IE7 now allows that. This is not rocket science to implement, is it? Microsoft employs smart ppl like Rhys, surely they know how to implement that?

Just detect a dot and then switch keys AUTO.

If all browsers really support this for all languages, IDN will have a big advanced over ascii domains with respect to key switching.

e.g.

Switch from japanese to abc -> type domain www.abc.co.jp -> Switch back from abc to japanese.

Versus

Type 日本語.JP or 日本語.COM -> No switchin!!
Old 4th August 2007, 05:24 PM
Banned

I'm glad to see that you're making plans for all scenarios! Good to see you are not making all of your bets at one table.

Furthermore, it is again refreshing to see at least two of you discussing the merits of the case, instead of wasting everyone's time getting personal and defensive.

I'm sure if .日本 does come out, you will get some of the names you are seeking. As a novice, may I ask, what is it literal and general translation of that term? Thank you.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Quite honestly, I don't know how the whole .IDN extension thing will play out. I may well own it by default simply because of the confusion factor between 日本語.JP and 日本語.日本 will drive the registrar to make the right decision for its product which is to alias one to the other. But in the case that it doesn't happen and .日本 comes out onto the world stage as a wholly new extension, i am well capitalized to make out like a f$cking bandit! I have an extensive wishlist of valuable domain names I am going to go after. I have every reason to expect that my .日本 portfolio will be 2x stronger than my .JP portfolio!

In case things don't work out, your invite is gracious. I've been interested in doing a barge trip down the Rhone for a while.
Old 4th August 2007, 05:24 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Type 日本語.JP or 日本語.COM -> No switchin!!
On FF you've always been able to type IDN.jp without switching because 'jp' doesn't correspond to any kana.

IDN.com still appears as IDN。こm

:-(
Old 4th August 2007, 05:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
On FF you've always been able to type IDN.jp without switching because 'jp' doesn't correspond to any kana.

IDN.com still appears as IDN。こm

:-(

i don't know about japanese, just making an example, but for chinese pinyin, FF does allow .com without switch keys. For IE7, last time i checked, it doesn't allow that.
Old 4th August 2007, 05:54 PM
Banned

Okay, for certain browsers, it may not be terribly difficult to type "IDN + latin .jp", etc., but for companies marketing themselves, and for domain investors using their intuition, it still doesn't make sense to mix alphabets together, no?
Old 4th August 2007, 06:25 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Okay, for certain browsers, it may not be terribly difficult to type "IDN + latin .jp", etc., but for companies marketing themselves, and for domain investors using their intuition, it still doesn't make sense to mix alphabets together, no?
Japanese mix ascii and kana or kanji all the time, it's part of the written language. like dvd movie = dvdムービー
Old 4th August 2007, 06:48 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Japanese mix ascii and kana or kanji all the time, it's part of the written language. like dvd movie = dvdムービー
Anybody In Japan want to broker ppc広告.jp to Yahoo , Google, MSN , or Excite for me

Willing to negotiate up to 40% commission if you can close a 7 fig deal.

Last edited by thegenius1; 4th August 2007 at 08:50 PM..
Old 4th August 2007, 07:21 PM
Banned

Which doesn't mean they need to add to the confusion. And to my knowledge, other Asian countries only have one alphabet each.

Quote:
Old 4th August 2007, 08:47 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

As for the little club, a few IDNers from the Boston area have been getting together for drinks and dinner regularly. You were invited once, but didn't respond. So, don't complain now that you aren't part of the little club if you choose not to participate.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 4th August 2007 at 08:54 PM..
Old 4th August 2007, 10:04 PM
Banned

I don't remember getting an invitation, but can't promise that it wasn't lost in the spam filter of Yahoo! mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
As for the little club, a few IDNers from the Boston area have been getting together for drinks and dinner regularly. You were invited once, but didn't respond. So, don't complain now that you aren't part of the little club if you choose not to participate.