IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > Noms de Domaine Français

Noms de Domaine Français IDN talk for French IDN Domains.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 06:20 PM
brianluedke's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
brianluedke is an unknown quantity at this point
A French Lesson

Despite my persistant efforts to help everyone understand French domain names, there are still some difficult students. Some people do not understand that in French, nouns mean nothing without the article. You would never see a book, for example, with the title "Afrique". It would have to be "L'Afrique". Similarly, domain names should include the article to make sense in the French context, especially if it is a single word noun being used, and not multiple word combinations.

Other people confuse France with certain other countries, where the national domain dominates. Although the French do use the ".fr", the .com is also huge, especially for companies seeking a wider market than just their own region. Since Francophonie includes dozens of countries on five continents, that is usually the case.

Still others insist -- apparently without any evidence to back their case -- that an apostrophe is terribly confusing. "Le" is masculine "the", "La" is "feminine" -- but if the noun starts with a vowel, you simply combine the article with the noun with an apostrophe. Far from creating confusion (everyone knows apostrophes cannot be included in domain names, so where is the confusion?), this actually makes the noun and article even more inseparable.

In five minutes of browsing, I came across five major Web sites -- sites Francophones use on an hourly basis -- that combine the .com, plus the article, not to mention a would-be accent. I could easily include hundreds more that include one or two of these attributes, if not all three. (Part of the problem in finding these sites with ideal domain names is that I already have half of them locked up.)

lentreprise.com -- L'Entreprise
("Company" or "The Company")

lavion.com -- L'Avion
("Plane" or "The Plane")

lexpansion.com -- L'expansion
("Expansion" or "The Expansion", an economic newspaper with "l'économie au quotidien" as their motto, or "The Economy day by day". See leconomie.com below.)

leconomiste.com - L'Economiste
("Economist" or "The Economist")

lactualite.com - L'Actualité
("News" or "The News")

leurope.com - L'Europe
("Europe")

lafrique.com - L'Afrique
("Africa")

leconomie.com - L'Economie
("Economy" or "The Economy")

Oops. Those last three were a self-promotion -- sorry!

To earn my rights here at the IdnForums, let me add this one...

léconomie.com

Last edited by brianluedke; 5th August 2007 at 06:31 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 06:33 PM
yanni's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,220
iTrader: (34)
Rep Power: 1158
yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

you must've missed:

avion.fr (first on 39 MIL results)
lavion.fr (first on 67K results)

only a three second search.

Lesson learned.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 06:43 PM
domainguru's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,835
iTrader: (14)
Rep Power: 2524
domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianluedke

Oops. Those last three were a self-promotion -- sorry!

To earn my rights here at the IdnForums, let me add this one...

léconomie.com
Self-promotion - what a huge shock to everyone here that will be ....

Funny, for lafrique.com it says at the bottom:

"lafrique.com TM Lorna Nicole Kayitesi"

So its official, Brian, you are actually a girl?

And btw, checked out http://sénégal.com/ hoping for a bit of cultural enlightment, but all I got was titty pics. Shame on you if that is the best promotion you can do for a country.

Last edited by domainguru; 5th August 2007 at 06:52 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 06:52 PM
brianluedke's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
brianluedke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

On Google.fr, both names are currently in the top six for a search for <avion>. A search for <"l'avion"> yields lavion.com as the top result, and avion.fr is no where to be found. What was your point again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni
you must've missed:

avion.fr (first on 39 MIL results)
lavion.fr (first on 67K results)

only a three second search.

Lesson learned.

Thanks!
Well, technically, a husband and wife are legally considered as a unit in certain circumstances, so you're not terribly far from the mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
Self-promotion - what a huge shock to everyone here that will be ....

Funny, for lafrique.com it says at the bottom:

"lafrique.com TM Lorna Nicole Kayitesi"

So its official, Brian, you are actually a girl?

And btw, checked out http://sénégal.com/ hoping for a bit of cultural enlightment, but all I got was titty pics. Shame on you if that is the best promotion you can do for a country.

Last edited by brianluedke; 5th August 2007 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 06:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 330
iTrader: (8)
Rep Power: 494
L@@K is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

You will not earn anything faking members...
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 06:57 PM
yanni's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,220
iTrader: (34)
Rep Power: 1158
yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianluedke
On Google.fr, both names are currently in the top six for a search for <avion>. A search for <"l'avion"> yields lavion.com as the top result, and avion.fr is no where to be found. What was your point again?

Funny because the search for l'avion brings up no advertisers on my end on two mil results while a search for avion has 36 million results Loaded with ads.

THAT was my point.

What was yours?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 06:58 PM
brianluedke's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
brianluedke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

What are you talking about? To whom are you speaking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L@@K
You will not earn anything faking members...
What was my point? Did you read my initial post?

I love it how I discuss a topic, e.g., the French affinity for domain names that include articles and the .com, and you apparently try to disprove my point by zooming in on a meaningless comparison of two major French Web sites.

You just run past the entire discussion and seize hold of some tiny point of interest, presumably trying to steer clear of the real discussion. Is it because you have nothing to say about the thrust of my argument?

http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=...chercher&meta=

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni
Funny because the search for l'avion brings up no advertisers on my end on two mil results while a search for avion has 36 million results Loaded with ads.

THAT was my point.

What was yours?

Last edited by brianluedke; 5th August 2007 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 07:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 330
iTrader: (8)
Rep Power: 494
L@@K is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianluedke
(...bla bla nonsens and errors...)To earn my rights here at the IdnForums, let me add this one... (blabla again...)
You will not earn anything telling wrong comments here.

There's several possibilities:
1. you're talking about a subject you don't know
or
2. you are stupid
or
3. you try to fake everybody

In all case, for your credibility if you have any, i would suggest to stop to try to convince members about your theorie.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 07:08 PM
brianluedke's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
brianluedke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

Oh, I just saw this. You're taking this completely out of context, but then, you can't understand the text, can you?

So how could you possibly understand the context?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
And btw, checked out http://sénégal.com/ hoping for a bit of cultural enlightment, but all I got was titty pics. Shame on you if that is the best promotion you can do for a country.
Very impressive evidence you've presented to back up your case.

In future, remember that people get emotional when they get desperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L@@K
You will not earn anything telling wrong comments here.

There's several possibilities:
1. you're talking about a subject you don't know
or
2. you are stupid
or
3. you try to fake everybody

In all case, for your credibility if you have any, i would suggest to stop to try to convince members about your theorie.

Last edited by brianluedke; 5th August 2007 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 07:14 PM
domainguru's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,835
iTrader: (14)
Rep Power: 2524
domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

So why all the titty pics on the home page of http://sénégal.com/ ?

Its a very simple question. Even you should be able to answer it. Is that all you see good about sénégal.com? Aren't there any men in sénégal you want to show pics of, or scenery, or landmarks, or anything else? Just tits? What the heck is wrong with you ....
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 08:08 PM
brianluedke's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
brianluedke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

There are already dozens of photos and articles about Sénégal at lafrique.com, and of course Sénégal.com is still (and permanently) under development.

Thank you for your interest. I'm glad to see that I'm already sparking discussion.

Is there anyone here interested in discussing the merits of the argument I presented in the original post above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
So why all the titty pics on the home page of http://sénégal.com/ ?

Its a very simple question. Even you should be able to answer it. Is that all you see good about sénégal.com? Aren't there any men in sénégal you want to show pics of, or scenery, or landmarks, or anything else? Just tits? What the heck is wrong with you ....
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 08:21 PM
555 555 is offline
ком.ком コム.コム
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,141
iTrader: (33)
Rep Power: 1688
555 has disabled reputation
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

Dear Brian,

Do you have the email address for the lady on the top left photo (http://sénégal.com/ ) ? the one in the middle.

TIA and keep up the good work, you should go work with the UN
__________________
ロレックス.com رولكس.com Ролекс.com Порше.com 路易威登.com 必胜宅急送.com 香港迪士尼乐园.com Hermès.com Nestlé.com
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 08:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 330
iTrader: (8)
Rep Power: 494
L@@K is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

Amazing to see a guy spreading french lessons while its websites are FULL of misspelling !

"un journalist rwandais"
un journaliste rwandais !
In lafrique

"Le Sénégal ne devrait pas éprouver de la fièrté"
Le Sénégal ne devrait pas éprouver de la fierté !
in Sénégal

I didn't search a long time...
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 09:15 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,864
iTrader: (60)
Rep Power: 2209
bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

found a mention of you on the internet: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Burundi on the Internet Launched by a Rwandan university student, Mukaruginiza Tessa,
and her American boyfriend, Brian Luedke, who teaches English in Kigali. ...
www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/ssrg/africa/burundi.html - 50k - Cached - Similar pages

Are you an American pretending to be French? lol
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 09:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 330
iTrader: (8)
Rep Power: 494
L@@K is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

Did you take LaVérité.com as well ?? (thetruth.com)

Au revoir Brian !
I don't know a french whose name is Brian...
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 09:40 PM
seamo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SA, Australia
Posts: 1,216
iTrader: (24)
Rep Power: 625
seamo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianluedke
To earn my rights here at the IdnForums, let me add this one...
Sorry Brian - to earn your rights here at IDNF takes more than having a one-eyed opinion about the value of your own domains. There is a lot more to belonging to any community of people than having arrogance in bucket loads.

This is your second thread in the last few days that could be construed as trolling for fights.

It's fine to have a drum to bang, but if you want to be accepted and hopefully repair a rep that you have shredded with your incessant ranting on this subject, you had better put this particular drum down.

You will never earn your rights at IDNF like this - and you are skirting dangerously close to losing your rights altogether.

Nuf' said.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 10:03 PM
Olney's Avatar
A.W.O.L
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,747
iTrader: (13)
Rep Power: 0
Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

Brian take this as a last piece of advice
if people can't see what you see leave it be.
last piece of advice...
keep it at discussion level...
You thread title will also be changed.
__________________
テスト中: ベリーダンス : Japan SEM : カードローン
LosAngeles.jp (Not an IDN, yeah I do those too)
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 10:17 PM
brianluedke's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
brianluedke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

You mean the girl in the swim suit? The color photo?

What does "TIA" mean? I forgot.

Anyway, if you need to contact me, use the email address available at my Web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275
Dear Brian,

Do you have the email address for the lady on the top left photo (http://sénégal.com/ ) ? the one in the middle.

TIA and keep up the good work, you should go work with the UN
What is your purpose here? I appreciate that if you meant it as a favor, but you seem more interested in attacking me than in having a discussion about domain names.. Anyway, I guess I should start ignoring you at this point.


Quote:
Originally Posted by L@@K
Amazing to see a guy spreading french lessons while its websites are FULL of misspelling !

"un journalist rwandais"
un journaliste rwandais !
In lafrique

"Le Sénégal ne devrait pas éprouver de la fièrté"
Le Sénégal ne devrait pas éprouver de la fierté !
in Sénégal

I didn't search a long time...
Where did I say I was French???? Are you actually blaming me for your own assumptions?

Again, this forum has let me down.... no one wants to talk about domain names.... it's more fun to try to tear apart the leader, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
found a mention of you on the internet: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Burundi on the Internet Launched by a Rwandan university student, Mukaruginiza Tessa,
and her American boyfriend, Brian Luedke, who teaches English in Kigali. ...
www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/ssrg/africa/burundi.html - 50k - Cached - Similar pages

Are you an American pretending to be French? lol
Are you in high school? I'm not worried about a "rep". I was only hoping for some intelligent conversation, but everyone here has let me down.

I can't say for sure that this is the last time I will ever give it a try here. But it is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo
Sorry Brian - to earn your rights here at IDNF takes more than having a one-eyed opinion about the value of your own domains. There is a lot more to belonging to any community of people than having arrogance in bucket loads.

This is your second thread in the last few days that could be construed as trolling for fights.

It's fine to have a drum to bang, but if you want to be accepted and hopefully repair a rep that you have shredded with your incessant ranting on this subject, you had better put this particular drum down.

You will never earn your rights at IDNF like this - and you are skirting dangerously close to losing your rights altogether.

Nuf' said.
Olney, I have a last piece of advice for you... instead of acting as a censor, stifling vigorous debate, and thus lending credence to my critique that this forum has the air of a cult, you should allow open, free, fresh, and strident debate; debate which is not centered on attacking the "outsider" with a different perspective, but debate in which ideas compete on an equal plane, for the enlightenment and benefit of all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Brian take this as a last piece of advice
if people can't see what you see leave it be.
last piece of advice...
keep it at discussion level...
You thread title will also be changed.

Last edited by brianluedke; 5th August 2007 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 10:49 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2685
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: A French Lesson for the ignoramuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianluedke
Are you in high school?
While there may be one or two people on this forum who are in high school, bwhhisc is not one of them.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 6th August 2007 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 5th August 2007, 11:58 PM
Edwin's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 966
iTrader: (6)
Rep Power: 912
Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road
Re: A French Lesson

There's a difference between "avion" and "l'avion". One means "plane" and the other means "the plane". That's unarguable - it's just French grammar - although you seem to be trying anyway...

As for whether "avion" is used on its own, well it depends on the context, but it can be used in other ways than with the l', for example in the expressions "billet d'avion" (plane ticket). Not a l' in sight in that rather crucial expression!

In fact, looking down the top 100 Overture results for "avion", I can't immediately see any that would require the l'. Of course, Overture makes it that bit harder by throwing away linkwords (so you have to mentally add them back again), but if you can read French you'll see that most of the highest Overture keyphrases used either d' (of) i.e. literally "ticket of plane" or "avion" alone, with no linkword.

It may be that the apostrophied domain forms you have still "work" for SEO and other purposes, and that's a separate discussion, but it's patently false that they are "equivalent" to the non-apostrophied forms.
__________________
JapaneseDomains.com - cheap .jp registrations, English interface, no local presence needed. Alphabet and IDN names. Hefty bulk discounts.
Please don't PM me for appraisals or translations, thanks.
All sales threads over 1 week old are no longer valid, period!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:10 AM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54