IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2007, 07:16 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Friday a holiday in Japan?

My adsense is normally flat during 02.00-07.00 Japan time, but it's been flying all night tonight (and domains haven't gained much ranking, either - from 14 to 13). Is Friday a holiday or what? Record earnings today, in any case!

Old 9th August 2007, 09:35 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: Friday a holiday in Japan?

Congrats...how many sites do you have running in Japan?
Old 9th August 2007, 10:05 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Congrats...how many sites do you have running in Japan?
3 Japanese sites total. 2 on my Amsterdam server, and 1 on my Tokyo server as a control test. The one on the Tokyo server is the .jp of the .com which is running on the Amsterdam server.

Within 3 days of moving the .jp to the Tokyo server, it started climbing a few spots in yahoo (moving from 15 where it's been hovering for a few weeks up to 12 at the moment). Using my domainer's calculator, I predicted that if this site makes it into the top 4 (above the fold on the first page) it will bring in at least $112 per day.

I already have the .com in spot 8 in google (but who knows where in yahoo), and it does earn a fair amount of money every day via google.

As soon as I am 100% without a doubt positive that moving sites to Tokyo improves ranking, I will move them all over. I just wanted to make a controlled test with the first one.

Old 9th August 2007, 10:06 PM

ala101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations Mike!
Old 10th August 2007, 01:52 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Not an official holiday but it's officially summer vacation time here.
There may be a drop in traffic especially from this weekend to the 3rd week in August.
Old 10th August 2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Not an official holiday but it's officially summer vacation time here.
There may be a drop in traffic especially from this weekend to the 3rd week in August.
I will note that most of my traffic is coming from mobile phones, and people will take them on holiday with them :-)

"Mozilla/4.0 (jig browser web; 1.0.4; TS3C)"

When you see that "jig browser" as a user agent, it's a mobile phone. I suggest you guys all reevaluate how "fat" your sites are and how they would be easiest for a mobile phone user to navigate, click the ads, etc... One way to do this is to use strict html or xhtml with css vs the old table layout. With CSS, mobiles can ignore it so the pages are faster and strict or xhtml is perfect for mobiles.

Old 10th August 2007, 06:25 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Tonight in the US is Friday in Japan which is always a high traffic day in the week. I've observed this pattern over the past 10 months. Well established.
Old 10th August 2007, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Tonight in the US is Friday in Japan which is always a high traffic day in the week. I've observed this pattern over the past 10 months. Well established.
It wasn't like any other Friday so far. I got alltime record traffic and revenue.

Now I'm dreaming of ways to redesign my code to optimize it the best way for mobile phone users while they are on holiday. I need to find one of those online phone simulators for phones that are commonly in use in Japan now. I tried with my phone, but it's got a full browser...

Old 10th August 2007, 07:27 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

But you have to realize many Japanese users already only surf on their phones.
But generally thinking mobile is good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
It wasn't like any other Friday so far. I got alltime record traffic and revenue.

Now I'm dreaming of ways to redesign my code to optimize it the best way for mobile phone users while they are on holiday. I need to find one of those online phone simulators for phones that are commonly in use in Japan now. I tried with my phone, but it's got a full browser...