IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th August 2007, 07:18 PM

mwbseiso is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to mwbseiso Send a message via AIM to mwbseiso Send a message via Skype™ to mwbseiso
Sick of these squares?

I am sure I am not the only one experiencing this, but every once in a while I come across an IDN that displays square characters within it when opened in a browser. What is the fix to get around this issue? Anyone?
Old 11th August 2007, 07:24 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: Sick of these squares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwbseiso
I am sure I am not the only one experiencing this, but every once in a while I come across an IDN that displays square characters within it when opened in a browser. What is the fix to get around this issue? Anyone?
install the korean/chinese language pack if you just have the japanese one and vice versa
Old 11th August 2007, 07:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to mwbseiso Send a message via AIM to mwbseiso Send a message via Skype™ to mwbseiso

I actually have Chinese, Korean, and Japanese. The problem is with symbols and some other odd characters, not entire languages.
Old 11th August 2007, 07:51 PM

xxbossmanxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to xxbossmanxx Send a message via MSN to xxbossmanxx Send a message via Skype™ to xxbossmanxx

You need to also look at what font pak you surf with. Some fonts dont cover much of the unicode range. There is a unicode font that covers most and a couple other fonts that have greater range coverage.

I used to toy with this stuff when I had symbol domains, could not see most of them under standard default fonts.
Old 11th August 2007, 08:35 PM

Hmm. This helps, I'll toy around with that. Thanks so much.
Old 11th August 2007, 10:43 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

It's a clue, though. If your default setup shows squares rather than the characters in question, people with a similar setup won't be able to see those characters either. In other words, if the characters rely on the installation of a particular optional font pack, they're not much use...
Old 11th August 2007, 11:15 PM

Edwin, I agree with you. I was thinking about that. Nevertheless, if a character that appears on my screen as a square is actually a letter in a different language, they ought to have it appear on those machines by default. For example, in the cyrillic version of the Kazakh word for "Kazakhstan" both "k"s appear as squares on my machine, which I am sure does not happen in Kazakhstan...
Old 11th August 2007, 11:38 PM

xxbossmanxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to xxbossmanxx Send a message via MSN to xxbossmanxx Send a message via Skype™ to xxbossmanxx

This is a great resource

http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/index.html

What I used to do is load the range up and then swap fonts until the char showed.