IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th August 2007, 09:59 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
world record?

Congrats to Lee (DomainGuru) for http://เกมส์.com (Games in thai) - 1 MILLION Monthly visitors!

Amazing job Lee.
Old 16th August 2007, 10:52 PM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road
Re: world record?

I am not able to visit it

is it http://xn--12c8d1a4fxc.com/?
Old 16th August 2007, 11:30 PM

xxbossmanxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to xxbossmanxx Send a message via MSN to xxbossmanxx Send a message via Skype™ to xxbossmanxx

Ya lol, must be some big traffic cuz the servers down or something.
Old 16th August 2007, 11:37 PM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

No probs for me, well done Lee
Old 16th August 2007, 11:40 PM

xxbossmanxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to xxbossmanxx Send a message via MSN to xxbossmanxx Send a message via Skype™ to xxbossmanxx

I got it to load up. The server is either very weak or taxed to the hilt. Good looking site, congrats.
Old 17th August 2007, 05:14 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

I rather assume that the site is locally hosted, which may in part account for the slow response that some of you appear to be experiencing. That may not be the general experience of his local customers. It could also be that his page ranking is affected by his host location. Any thoughts on that one?

When Lee is talking about 1 year or possibly two or three, his main problem is not traffic but monetization. At the moment there won't be much in the way of Thai language Adsense for him.

It is possible that he experience an almost cult like following, where URL is passed word of mouth in the playground. Of course that is precisely how the whole thing is supposed to work. Either way, it would seem likely that the numbers of young Thais experiencing IDN resolution first hand is exploding purely due this one site.

Well Done Lee!
Old 17th August 2007, 08:10 AM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road

it is working fine now

good job ... congratulations ))
Old 17th August 2007, 08:55 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Guys, sorry to disappoint everyone but we seem to be playing "chinese whispers" here. My sig says "1 million monthly pageviews" which (unfortunately) is entirely different from "1 million monthly visits". I don't have unique monthly visit numbers to hand but I expect that is around 100K.

Which is still ok, but nothing like 1M :p

To answer the hosting point, yes we host in Thailand. When you have a site for Thais, your basic choice is to host in Thailand and make the site very slow (and occassionally inaccessible) for international visitors, particularly outside Asia, or host outside Thailand and kill access speed for visitors within Thailand. Since 99% of are visitors are from within Thailand, we obvioulsly have to choose the first option.

The reason for all this is that traffic within Thailand is routed very quickly (and free!), but traffic in and out of Thailand is heavily throttled because the country just doesn't have much international bandwidth.

About monetization, we have finally realized that any kind of pay-per-performance or pay-per-click thing just isn't going to convert. But .... Thai advertisers will apparently pay quite nicely for eyeballs so we are now contacting potential advertisers about taking up CPM spots. So there is blue sky on the monetization horizon. (80% of our visitors are from BKK, so its a good niche - BKK teenagers)

I hope some of the visits are from playground swapping kidz, but of course very hard to say. Basically, though, our daily visits are dictated by where we are in google.co.th. We haven't got better than #7 to date. If we could get top #3 we could certainly get close to the 1M monthly visitors and claim that "world record"

IDNF members will be the first to know if we do get there!!

BTW, we are currently preparing a press release for the Thai market - that should help us get some buzz / incoming links, and help us gauge the true level of interest in Thai language domain names.
Old 17th August 2007, 09:14 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I was pretty impressed with 1 million uniques but I am still very impressed with 1 million page views a month.

It's still a great accomplishment.
I've only gotten to about 15,000 page views a month (All organic) I'm wondering what max pageviews our Chinese members are accomplishing.
Old 17th August 2007, 03:28 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

It's still a great feat. Congrats Lee.
Old 17th August 2007, 03:55 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
Guys, sorry to disappoint everyone but we seem to be playing "chinese whispers" here. My sig says "1 million monthly pageviews" which (unfortunately) is entirely different from "1 million monthly visits". I don't have unique monthly visit numbers to hand but I expect that is around 100K.

Which is still ok, but nothing like 1M :p

To answer the hosting point, yes we host in Thailand. When you have a site for Thais, your basic choice is to host in Thailand and make the site very slow (and occassionally inaccessible) for international visitors, particularly outside Asia, or host outside Thailand and kill access speed for visitors within Thailand. Since 99% of are visitors are from within Thailand, we obvioulsly have to choose the first option.

The reason for all this is that traffic within Thailand is routed very quickly (and free!), but traffic in and out of Thailand is heavily throttled because the country just doesn't have much international bandwidth.

About monetization, we have finally realized that any kind of pay-per-performance or pay-per-click thing just isn't going to convert. But .... Thai advertisers will apparently pay quite nicely for eyeballs so we are now contacting potential advertisers about taking up CPM spots. So there is blue sky on the monetization horizon. (80% of our visitors are from BKK, so its a good niche - BKK teenagers)

I hope some of the visits are from playground swapping kidz, but of course very hard to say. Basically, though, our daily visits are dictated by where we are in google.co.th. We haven't got better than #7 to date. If we could get top #3 we could certainly get close to the 1M monthly visitors and claim that "world record"

IDNF members will be the first to know if we do get there!!

BTW, we are currently preparing a press release for the Thai market - that should help us get some buzz / incoming links, and help us gauge the true level of interest in Thai language domain names.
you think my cartoons.com in thai that you emailed me about months ago will get tons of traffic? ;-)

I'm thinking of putting maybe youtube videos on it.
Old 17th August 2007, 11:45 PM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

A big change from 2005, eh? Congratulations! Keep the encouraging news flowing!
Old 18th August 2007, 08:59 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy
you think my cartoons.com in thai that you emailed me about months ago will get tons of traffic? ;-)

I'm thinking of putting maybe youtube videos on it.
sure, if you can get it into the top ten search results for "games"
Old 3rd September 2007, 08:41 PM

results for August:

Page Views: 1,670,129
Unique IPs: 117,791
Visitors: 147,702

Reasonable monetization is "coming soon" (hopefully) .....