IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 日本語ドメイン

日本語ドメイン Discussion for Japan IDN Domain names. Japanese IDNs are available in .com .net & .jp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2007, 11:27 AM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo
stippy discussion - Romaji is NOT a less popular alphabet. It is on equal footing ...

Romaji is NOT a less popular alphabet. It is on equal footing with Kanji and Hiragana and Katakana. It is used profusely with advertising and brand development as well as introducing modern concepts, one of which is the internet.
Old 17th August 2007, 11:57 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: stippy discussion - Romaji is NOT a less popular alphabet. It is on equal footing

I felt the whole thing was just link bait guys that why I closed the thread.
Domaining as a whole is a business, it opens up new services, business, new ways of effective marketing to target users.
You can't take the average person's opinion about domaining seriously.
The point of view of a nonJapanese writing a blog catering to nonJapanese would be the same.
The point of view is "Are Japanese IDNs good for nonJapanese"
& that answer is, it's not necessary.

There are several Gaijin business owners who need to compete with other Japanese companies quickly grab up domains that relate to their business.

You guys should have quit when I closed the thread it's a waste of your time.
It's as constructive as pushing a rope.

Go into a community writing very old stats ask questions & continue to write old facts & stats. It's link bait to get you guys on a roll.
Old 17th August 2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
stippy discussion - Romaji is NOT a less popular alphabet. It is on equal footing ...

This is claimed by one of the respondents;

Romaji is NOT a less popular alphabet. It is on equal footing with Kanji and Hiragana and Katakana. It is used profusely with advertising and brand development as well as introducing modern concepts, one of which is the internet.

Just how corrrect is this ?

Would be nice if a native japanese could continue the argument, I've said enough in there.

http://www.stippy.com/japan-tech/idn...omain-names-2/
Old 17th August 2007, 12:41 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: stippy discussion - Romaji is NOT a less popular alphabet. It is on equal footing

Romanji is not an alphabet. It simply refers to Japanese Transliterated into Latin.
Old 17th August 2007, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Re: stippy discussion - Romaji is NOT a less popular alphabet. It is on equal footing ...

There are some interesting things being said, for instance the ambiguity of romaji, what does it mean exactly ?

[romajiX] having 3 similar sounding kanji/hiragan/katakana combinations ?

If so they need a dropdown menu right, shouldn't that dropdown menu display the unicode options then ?

Old 17th August 2007, 04:09 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: stippy discussion - Romaji is NOT a less popular alphabet. It is on equal footing ...

I don't know what these guys are talking about with regards to the ambiguity of romaji. It just is what it is. Olney is right, they are not trying to have a balanced view of IDNs, they just want to say something extremely controversial to bait you guys into wasting your time over there and giving them content. Trust me, no one is as naturally stupid as that article presents the author to be.
Old 17th August 2007, 04:46 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
The point of view is "Are Japanese IDNs good for nonJapanese"
& that answer is, it's not necessary.
Yes, because some gaijin get really excited about Japanese kana and Chinese characters and even wear T-shirts with them!!! From what I hear, some of them are even buying Japanese and Chinese domains!

Check this old thread out:

Quote:
American Animé fans have been quick to take advantage of IDN capability, putting up fan sites incorporating their favorite characters in the URL.

sailor月.com
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/7245...ght=anime+fans

I think some simple or vanity Chinese character domains will actually be bought by American kids for the coolness factor in the future.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 17th August 2007 at 04:54 PM..
Old 17th August 2007, 04:49 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Trust me, no one is as naturally stupid as that article presents the author to be.
Especially not when there are IQ tests online to prove otherwise!

Old 17th August 2007, 05:07 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Especially not when there are IQ tests online to prove otherwise!

Why are you always insulting my intelligence? You always think you are better than everyone else, do you have problems with people, I strongly suggest you get help. I have a genius IQ so don't pick on me and make me feel like I don't know what I am talking about. I want to participate on this forum, but you are the only one who is always ganging up on me! I am telling you again, don't bother me. Even my neighbors know I have a genius IQ and I can prove it too! Don't tell me not to post. You always making me feel like I am not so smart but I am genius. I have a notebook where I keep records of my achievements so that when my biography is written, it will be as easy as registering a new domain. Don't underestimate. I am a real genius. Just look at the number of posts I made here and my seller rating. Haha. Don't deny it takes real smarts and an uncommon intelligence to understand Japanese Romanji. Also please do not post replies mocking this message, or I will be crying and I need to concentrate to register more domains before bed time.

PS: I even have friends on this forum that feel the same way that you gang up on them unfairly.

© 2007 Blastfromthepast, please do not quote this post, or I trademark you.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 17th August 2007 at 05:18 PM..
Old 17th August 2007, 05:27 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Why are you always insulting my intelligence? You always think you are better than everyone else, do you have problems with people, I strongly suggest you get help. I have a genius IQ so don't pick on me and make me feel like I don't know what I am talking about.

Blast, I'm afraid that you merely a legend in your own mind. But you are darned entertaining at times!

Old 17th August 2007, 05:30 PM
Veteran

Thats it, I trademark you.
Old 17th August 2007, 06:06 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Trust me, no one is as naturally stupid as that article presents the author to be.
Not fair! I wanted to say that!

Quote:
Why are you always insulting my intelligence? You always think you are better than everyone else, do you have problems with people, I strongly suggest you get help. I have a genius IQ so don't pick on me and make me feel like I don't know what I am talking about. I want to participate on this forum, but you are the only one who is always ganging up on me! I am telling you again, don't bother me. Even my neighbors know I have a genius IQ and I can prove it too! Don't tell me not to post. You always making me feel like I am not so smart but I am genius. I have a notebook where I keep records of my achievements so that when my biography is written, it will be as easy as registering a new domain. Don't underestimate. I am a real genius. Just look at the number of posts I made here and my seller rating. Haha. Don't deny it takes real smarts and an uncommon intelligence to understand Japanese Romanji. Also please do not post replies mocking this message, or I will be crying and I need to concentrate to register more domains before bed time.

PS: I even have friends on this forum that feel the same way that you gang up on them unfairly.

Blast, there is no doubt you probably have the highest IQ on the board, but you don't half get into some stupid arguments. 8)

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 17th August 2007 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 17th August 2007, 06:12 PM
Veteran

Point taken.

Let's get back to Romanji. I think domains like sailor月.com are a fascinating example. Think about it. Japanese have have used English in advertising for a coolness factor, and I see a lot of sports t-shirts in Boston with kana on them because of the Japanese baseball player here now.

Old 17th August 2007, 06:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Point taken.

Let's get back to Romanji. I think domains like sailor月.com are a fascinating example. Think about it. Japanese have have used English in advertising for a coolness factor, and I see a lot of sports t-shirts in Boston with kana on them because of the Japanese baseball player here now.
Yes, but Romanji is not English. Romanji is Japanese in Latin characters. WTF is cool about that?
Old 17th August 2007, 06:22 PM
Veteran

It may not mean much to us, but Japanese girls jump up and down and get their wallets out when the see things like
Maison d’Amour
Vanilla Confusion

as brands. Even though they have no idea what it means sometimes, it looks foreign, European, or just cool and sophisticated.

To understand this, I think you should head over to your local Japanese market and pick up some Japanese fashion magazines. You'll see.
Old 17th August 2007, 06:36 PM
Veteran

Foreign language branding is big just about everywhere. Doesn't make the case for Romanji though.

Quote:
It may not mean much to us, but Japanese girls jump up and down and get their wallets out when the see things like
Maison d’Amour
Vanilla Confusion

as brands. Even though they have no idea what it means sometimes, it looks foreign, European, or just cool and sophisticated.

To understand this, I think you should head over to your local Japanese market and pick up some Japanese fashion magazines. You'll see.
Old 17th August 2007, 10:05 PM

Ao wrote:

"I do have a problem with real estate speculators. Just like you guys, they drive up prices to the point at which those who really need to buy real estate (or domain names) can’t afford them any more. And you walk away with a profit, having produced nothing and contributed nothing to society.

Just look at what real estate speculation has done to Shanghai. There are thousands and thousands of empty skyscraper apartment buildings. What a waste of money, time and human resources when regular people can barely afford to pay the rent on their shitty one bedroom apartment because speculation has driven the rent so high."

Old 17th August 2007, 10:11 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

from stippy about ICANN

They charge what the market can bear, and will sell you anything they can. .jp domain names for example, cost around 10 times more than .com ones, for no particular reason. Internationalized Domain Names are superficial eye candy, patched on top of a solid Internet foundation to lure short sighted consumers, with the proverbial corporate noose around their necks.

LOL... JPRS runs the .jp registry. Also IDN .jp's are actually less than .com... Whoever did this article christ.... just do some research.
Old 17th August 2007, 10:58 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm

Ao wrote:

"I do have a problem with real estate speculators. Just like you guys, they drive up prices to the point at which those who really need to buy real estate (or domain names) can’t afford them any more. And you walk away with a profit, having produced nothing and contributed nothing to society.

Just look at what real estate speculation has done to Shanghai. There are thousands and thousands of empty skyscraper apartment buildings. What a waste of money, time and human resources when regular people can barely afford to pay the rent on their shitty one bedroom apartment because speculation has driven the rent so high."

Old 18th August 2007, 01:17 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

Can we please start referring to it as Romaji?

There's no "n" in Romaji!

The more people use "Romanji", the more I see others making the same mistake.

So, once again, there's no "n" in Romaji!

Thanks.