IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd August 2007, 02:35 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
ultimate IDN reference?

I'm finally taking the plunge and doing a press release (English and Thai) about our games site. Going to focus on the search engine angle and how having an exact domin name match has gotten us a top-10 placement for the most searched Thai term.

Anyhow, for the English release, I want to mention a site where people can go to get the low-down on IDNs. Some page or site that explains very very clearly what IDNs are, and doesn't have a commercial side e.g. I don't want something that has IDNs for sale, just good concise info.

So please suggest some URLs. No problem if they are your own
Old 23rd August 2007, 02:52 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: ultimate IDN reference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
I'm finally taking the plunge and doing a press release (English and Thai) about our games site. Going to focus on the search engine angle and how having an exact domin name match has gotten us a top-10 placement for the most searched Thai term.

Anyhow, for the English release, I want to mention a site where people can go to get the low-down on IDNs. Some page or site that explains very very clearly what IDNs are, and doesn't have a commercial side e.g. I don't want something that has IDNs for sale, just good concise info.

So please suggest some URLs. No problem if they are your own
why is thaidomains.com private? ;-)

I think you would provide a great resource for Thai.
Old 23rd August 2007, 03:14 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy
why is thaidomains.com private? ;-)

I think you would provide a great resource for Thai.
You aren't saying I have forgotten to take the password access off have you? If so, I'm going to shoot myself. Please try accessing it and let me know
Old 23rd August 2007, 04:26 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Why not good ol wikipedia .
Old 23rd August 2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramiozo
Why not good ol wikipedia .
yep, definitely an option if nothing else turns up. I just thought one of our members would have a "killer IDN reference page" I could give free publicity to...
Old 23rd August 2007, 08:29 PM

xxbossmanxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to xxbossmanxx Send a message via MSN to xxbossmanxx Send a message via Skype™ to xxbossmanxx

I would work on the server before doing that. We talked about load times before and decided that maybe the local had something to do with it but I doubt that is the issue, I can access the server immediately but then it just sits and spins for a very long time considering how light the page actually is.
Old 24th August 2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbossmanxx
I would work on the server before doing that. We talked about load times before and decided that maybe the local had something to do with it but I doubt that is the issue, I can access the server immediately but then it just sits and spins for a very long time considering how light the page actually is.
Good suggestion, but there isn't a lot we can do short term. International bandwidth is strangled to sites inside Thailand. Yes you can access the server because that isn't a bandwidth issue, just DNS. But when you try and load the page .... bad things happen. The only real solution is to have some kind of mirror site outside Thailand, but the visitor level from outside Thailand or potential income level from those visitors would in no way justify that.

But yeah, if the site really is consistently unreliable outside Thailand, might be a waste of time doing English-language press release.

btw, just talked to the host admin about this and he will do some tuning. Sounds like we might need more RAM etc.

Last edited by domainguru; 24th August 2007 at 10:13 AM..