IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th August 2007, 08:30 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Round Table: Pitts bullish on IDN

....The final Tuesday morning session was devoted to Domain Appraisal and Evaluation and featured panelists Peter Lamson (NameMedia), Victor Pitts (Moniker.com), Jay Finnan (Sedo.com), Jakob Knightly (NameDrive.com) and John Tompkins (Trellian) with Sevan Derderian serving as moderator. They discussed the various factors that make domains valuable. While a PPC revenue stream is an obvious parameter, Lamson noted that his company sells many low or no traffic domains at good prices because they have a memorable and brandable ring to them, passing what is often called the "radio test." That is, if you heard a domain name on the radio, is it one you could easily remember?

Domain Appraisal and Evaluation Panel (left to right): Victor Pitts,
Peter Lamson, John Tompkins, Jay Finnan and Jakob Knightly

When this session moved to the audience Q & A segment, many of the questions revolved around values outside the red hot .com sector. Lamson said he saw interest in .net falling off while ccTLDs were gaining strength. He sees a lot of potential in .us, noting that the American country code would likely benefit from the sheer number of small to medium sized businesses (SMBs) coming online. There are 17 million SMBs in the U.S. alone and more than 100 million around the world that need digital ID's.

On the flip side of the coin, most of the panelists were less optimistic about "re-purposed" ccTLDs, country codes being marketed to mean something else. In response to a question about .TV, Finnan said the extension faces a lot of obstacles. "The variable pricing is a nightmare for buyers - a domain can cost thousands a year to renew," Finnan said, adding "it would not be at the top of my list for investment." Pitts was bullish on International Domains (IDNs), saying they are growing rapidly in demand and usage as Internet adoption continues to grow even faster in other regions around the world than it is in the U.S....

http://www.dnjournal.com/articles/ev...2007-page2.htm
Old 25th August 2007, 08:39 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough
Re: Round Table: Pitts bullish on IDN

What a waste of an opportunity, shame someone within spitting distance of the conference couldn't be arsed to attend and give a presentation.
Old 25th August 2007, 08:42 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Joe Davison was there on one of the panels.

Yes, Olney isn't the only SEO Expert on the forum.
Old 25th August 2007, 09:09 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

I note they set up Wii and PS3 and later gave them away. No Xbox 360? WTF. Lame-O.

It's funny that they hold this thing minutes away from my house too.
Old 25th August 2007, 03:52 PM

zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point

There was originally an IDN panel scheduled which I was invited to speak on.

Unfortunately, no other speakers could be found and there was apparently no interest in the panel by attendees, so it was canceled...

Not sure what to make of it.

I spoke on two other panels that had nothing to do with IDN, but I also discussed IDN domains privately with a lot of people.

Bottom line: there is still a long way to go in terms of educating people what IDN's even are, much less the intricacies and details we typically talk about on this forum. Very, very few "get it."
Old 25th August 2007, 04:20 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmarketing

Unfortunately, no other speakers could be found and there was apparently no interest in the panel by attendees, so it was canceled...

I spoke on two other panels that had nothing to do with IDN, but I also discussed IDN domains privately with a lot of people.

Bottom line: there is still a long way to go in terms of educating people what IDN's even are, much less the intricacies and details we typically talk about on this forum. Very, very few "get it."
I'll speak next time if I can get in for free. I live right next door and I can sound smart if I really really put some effort into it.
Old 25th August 2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

$10 says the guys from SEDO and ND on the panel were tight-lipped about IDN's because they know the traffic some of the top ones are getting and don't want the other parking providers realising that an invading their turf.
Old 25th August 2007, 05:56 PM
Veteran

The big question is not so much whether we can, as to whether there really is any point.

We have a parking provider. Others will follow. I certainly have little intention of spending as much time beating my brains out as I did with Sedo.

The point is North America really isn't our target market. Some of these guys may never get it. I doubt whether most of them are going to catch on in time frame that is the slightest bit useful to us or anyone else.

I think we will just have to rely on Rick's $100 dollar a year peasants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmarketing

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 25th August 2007 at 06:35 PM..
Old 25th August 2007, 06:02 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a good thing they don't know, if not, i would not had the chance to get those names.

Better continue don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
The big question is not so much whether we can, as to whether there really is any point.

We have a parking provider. Others will follow. I certainly have little intention of spending as much time beating my brains out as I did with Sedo.

The point is North America really isn't our target market. Some of these guys may never get it. I doubt whether most of them are going to catch on in time frame that is the slightest bit useful to us or anyone else.

I think we will just on Rick's $100 dollar a year peasants!
Old 25th August 2007, 09:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
It's a good thing they don't know, if not, i would not had the chance to get those names.

Better continue don't know.
Don't worry. As they say here in Yorkshire, "You can't educate Pork."
Old 25th August 2007, 11:49 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Don't worry. As they say here in Yorkshire, "You can't educate Pork."
also in NYC regarding domain names
"You can't educate Park." ;-)