IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2007, 05:49 AM

pspdropship is an unknown quantity at this point
how much would premium .tv Chinese IDN sold for??

i'm not quite familiar with the market so i'd like to know how much a top level .tv Chinese IDN be sold for currently on the market? for example, 卡通.tv, cartoon.tv. pls help. thanks!
Old 29th August 2007, 07:55 AM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: how much would premium .tv Chinese IDN sold for??

At the moment, many people in the Chinese world think the extension ".tv" = television station.
Therefore they don't like it and ignore it has been the argument presented up until now.

Basically this means it would only be used for SEO IDN option (when that is all that is available)... namely, as a last resort and well behind many other extension choices such as the .cn, .hk, .tw, .com, .net, .biz etc. etc. versions of the same IDN.

Given that SEO is a big jump in thinking for the average Chinese company at the moment - this means that virtually it is worth, no more than it's registration fee for trading / on-selling purposes.

For use however, except for type-ins (and assuming that people do not plain ignore it as think it is a tv station), then it could have SEO use (it is therefore bunched together with low wanted options like .nu, .cc and not taken as an investment option).

Hope comments help - cheers, Asiaplay

PS: There will be one or two very minor exceptions to this (e.g. China - Zhongguo.tv - 中国。tv - but I suspect most of those will be in the default list and blocked from registration).
Old 29th August 2007, 04:29 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay
At the moment, many people in the Chinese world think the extension ".tv" = television station.
Therefore they don't like it and ignore it has been the argument presented up until now.

Basically this means it would only be used for SEO IDN option (when that is all that is available)... namely, as a last resort and well behind many other extension choices such as the .cn, .hk, .tw, .com, .net, .biz etc. etc. versions of the same IDN.
Hi Asiaplay,

i have 体育.tv and 搜索.tv , both regfee iyo?
if you can show the source to the above assumptions and other opinions by others will be great.
Old 29th August 2007, 06:43 PM

As you saw in my previous post - I do think there are a couple of exceptions.

I myself have bought a couple of .tv (but admit they are for making sure no terms exist for competitors, rather than developing those as the preferred extension).
Also I am not buying for trading / on-selling as of yet.

Really on the whole it is subjective, as to which ones are good / exceptions.

I was really just giving the person posting this thread, an idea what most people in here think is true - .tv is not a serious first investment choice for on-selling. Really said this more, so he doesn't bother going out and wildly buying all the good terms in .tv and then find no-one wants to buy them from him until the market matures (which at a guess might be 5 years or 10 - who knows)...

Your two examples - both great for SEO... so for use & development - good!
The first one "sports" (this is I think one of the few exceptions, which as I mentioned do exist, which will be very good for a potential high sale later - yes... but my guess is maybe you will have to give it 2 to 3 years before you will get serious earnings on this... but true is a good example of an exception).

So I agree with you - your sports one is good & the search one is good for SEO... so both good examples of .tv IDNs which could be worth buying.

General value comments...
Really just watch the number of quite good terms / IDNs, which even in .net or .biz do not get buyers at quiet low prices (and the number of .tv which have even sold in the forums) - and this gives you an idea.
Registration numbers also show this is the case - so many are left in .tv (there is a reason the big owners are not bothering... do I agree from a "use" point of view - not really as think they can be good for SEO... would I buy for investment or as a preferred choice, except for a couple of terms like you have bought, then no I wouldn't (and I guess you are the same).

Guess we probably actually agree on this - and I was just trying to give him a pointer on what I see as the investment feelings present at the moment, before he goes out and spends US$27+ for 1000 IDNS and wonders why all he has at the end of the year, is a big registration fee next year.

Cheers & thanks for some good examples of exceptions - Asiaplay
Old 29th August 2007, 09:10 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Thanks for the clarification asiaplay.

I agree .tv ONLY should be bought if it is a perfect fit to the extension...like sports,shopping,soccer etc...

the fact chinese,japanese, russians and anyone in between can immediately associate .tv to television is a plus imo, aspecially with the uncertainty of dname.

but that's old news really...

i made a xxxx offer on a .tv today...if i get to buy it ill post it (seller, i know you see this..you should sell)

Michael.
Old 31st August 2007, 03:36 AM

Talking Re: how much would premium .tv Chinese IDN sold for??

Thanks for your comments guys!

Asiaplay, where did you bought Chinese .tv for $27? 'cause i paid $50 each. can you give me the url of the registry?

i just registered 4 .tv yesterday, 收藏.tv (collectibles, or collection), 纪实.tv (documentaries), 名人.tv (celebrity),and 摇滚.tv (rock)。

i personally think .tv has great potential 'cause it's great for a certain type of tv program or genre, it's just plain cool to have such names 'cause people will immediately know that the web site is for a company that produce such tv programs or a tv channel broadcast such programs, or the web site is an online community focusing on certain types of videos, i don't know much about seo, but i think that's good for branding.

i've tried to register some good English .tv domains but i found most, if not all of them are taken, especially for tv genres or types of programs, that's why i jumped on the wagon to register some Chinese version

Michael, could you pls tell me which domain are you paying XXXX for ?? just pm me, thanks man!
Old 31st August 2007, 07:51 AM

Hi Pspdropship,

Opps - is not US$27.99 - thats .cc (crazy club extension - bad memory I have - lol).

www.dynadot.com sells .tv IDNs for US$34.99 though (or US$32.99 if you have purchased anything before - then you get member rates it seems... so if you do not have an account there yet, then buy something like 1 x cheap .info first and when that payment is settled, then you should be able to buy .tv at the members rate, as will then have an account there - at least I think only one purchase puts you onto these members rates).

Umm - I used to think they .tv were cool as well (even owned fireworks.tv ascii until it was stolen off me by my ex domain registrar - register . com - jerks) ...
However after several Korean and Chinese friends told me they thought they were dumb, I have changed my mind a little bit - haha (subjective though - still cool for certain keywords I think).

Hope is useful - cheers, Asiaplay
Old 31st August 2007, 09:29 AM

mgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enough

Yeah don't think the Chinese think too much of the .tv domains. Only good for branding tv related domains. But even then value would need to come through development.

By themselves anything but .com, .net or .cn, are only good for development. I wouldn't put too much value on any other extension, especially the self made meaning extensions like .tv .cc .ws etc etc
Old 31st August 2007, 09:56 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrohan
Yeah don't think the Chinese think too much of the .tv domains. Only good for branding tv related domains. But even then value would need to come through development.

By themselves anything but .com, .net or .cn, are only good for development. I wouldn't put too much value on any other extension, especially the self made meaning extensions like .tv .cc .ws etc etc

Hey, your soccer site is quite cool, u did it yourself?

足球进球.com
Old 31st August 2007, 10:22 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspdropship
Michael, could you pls tell me which domain are you paying XXXX for
i paid x,xxx for 4 of the below domains (x,xxx per domain).

All mean soccer, confirmation from natives much appriciated.

足球.TV Chinese
Футбол.TV Russian
サッカー.TV Japanese
축구.TV Korean
كرةقدم.TV Arabic
फ़ुटबॉल.TV Hindi
Bóngđá.TV Vietnamese
Fútbol.TV Spanish
Ποδόσφαιρο.TV Greek

Vint cerf's opinion?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...27/news.google
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...he_future.html
Old 31st August 2007, 10:55 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275
i paid x,xxx for 4 of the below domains (x,xxx per domain).
All mean soccer, confirmation from natives much appriciated.
足球.TV Chinese
Футбол.TV Russian
サッカー.TV Japanese
축구.TV Korean
كرةقدم.TV Arabic
फ़ुटबॉल.TV Hindi
Bóngđá.TV Vietnamese
Fútbol.TV Spanish
Ποδόσφαιρο.TV Greek
Vint cerf's opinion?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...27/news.google
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...he_future.html
Nice collection. Not sure about other places but in the US .tv is coming on strong for many television related sites,
in particular sports. The one that comes to mind that I have been seeing advertised a LOT lately is wec.tv and
also ufc.tv although that resolves to ufc.com it is still being advertised.

wec.tv= world extreme cagefighing (heavy branding on this extension)
ufc.tv= ultimate fighting championships (resolves to ufc.com)

According to this GoDaddy ad, 100,000,000 people watch their TV online. I imagine that internet TV viewing
will soar in future years since the internet can potentially deliver way more channels and formats.

http://www.webhostdir.com/news/artic...s.asp?id=21985
Old 31st August 2007, 10:59 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

Thanks Bill, and you can help it my collection grow...lol

I have no idea what will or wont happen, but to me it makes alot of sense.

And... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_axva_bxUyw

This is what i would love to do with the japanese Shopping .tv i got... ShopVogue.tv , LX.tv is another good dev.

In China/japan for example... im.tv

Last edited by 555; 31st August 2007 at 11:11 AM..
Old 31st August 2007, 11:05 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Noticed that the highest sale of a .tv is $27,000 for surface.tv.

Surface in this case refers to the up and coming Microsoft table top (flat surface) computer and gaming system.
Bill Gates was on TV last night talking about another flat computer system they are developing called "tablet" (as in writing tablet).
Old 31st August 2007, 11:13 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

Highest i found is Vegas.tv , 350k in Jan 2004
Old 31st August 2007, 12:38 PM

mgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Hey, your soccer site is quite cool, u did it yourself?
Yeah done by self. First developed IDN, with hopefully a few more to follow soon.

Quote:
足球.TV Chinese
Футбол.TV Russian
サッカー.TV Japanese
축구.TV Korean
كرةقدم.TV Arabic
फ़ुटबॉल.TV Hindi
Bóngđá.TV Vietnamese
Fútbol.TV Spanish
Ποδόσφαιρο.TV Greek
Very nice as to have them all as a package. But as the original poster asked i don't think .tv are very highly valued in the Chinese market and probably will never be, at least standing by themselves.

A package like that would be great for live online streaming football or something like that. Definitely lots of potential there.
Old 31st August 2007, 02:25 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Can you please explain why you don't see anything interesting happening to chinese idn .tv in the future? would you agree the vast majority of chinese would immediately associate TV to television/know what TV stands for?
Old 31st August 2007, 02:36 PM

Why... apart from TV in China being boring... opps that's debatable!!!

As it is near impossible to set-up a TV station in China... and all are quasi state based (except a couple which are very connected individuals with a big budget and nothing live to ever broadcast)... is one reason

However cable is happening now - but guess that will be a near monopoly as well (and never live coverage).

Isn't the net growing in China for this very reason - as it is less Government controlled unlike TV stations.
Yes, also net movie sites... in China movie online sites like utube will probably get banned quickly (as it only takes one video posted which is not liked and the whole site will be down for ever).

But who knows - peoples feelings might change as they are slowly in the West.

Couple of comments - cheers, Asiaplay

PS: doesn't effect Japanese market however... haha - but does North Korea market even more-so than China - lol
Old 31st August 2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Can you please explain why you don't see anything interesting happening to chinese idn .tv in the future? would you agree the vast majority of chinese would immediately associate TV to television/know what TV stands for?
.tv has no or very little value to the Chinese end user, and i doubt it will gain much in popularity. As Asiaplay said, TV is strictly controlled by the state. 20-30+ channels of mind numbing programming. Therefore very little end users to be marketing a tv channel or tv programs website.
With pay tv emerging this may change a bit, but i don't think it will change the popularity of tv extension.

Out of all the tv extensions in Chinese, there would only be a small handful of ones worth keeping - the major keywords, and football, soap opera, etc.
Old 2nd September 2007, 11:28 AM

.tv is getting hot these days in China, a cartoon channel is heavily advertising its website kaku.tv... i'm sure they'll want to have 卡通.tv some time in the future. you are right that tv stations are controlled by the state, but you might not know that most tv stations contract others to produce the content, they just examine it before air... with the rapid development of digital tv and iptv, the content market is estimated to be over 500 billion in a few years, tv content production is booming and becoming more competitive... but ofcos it still needs time for Chinese .tv IDN to be hot for market...

just added another one to my collection: 美眉.tv girls.tv
Old 4th September 2007, 10:26 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

I just couldn't resist...just bought Chinese 互联网.TV (Internet .tv)
i want to believe it's one of those 'exceptions'.
x,xxx was paid for this one...alot of x,xxx
good deal or money wasted? i guess time will tell..but your comments are welcome.