IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th August 2007, 12:05 PM

mgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enough
Typing in keywords in the address bar..

Not sure if this has been covered before, have search but couldn't find anything.

Just when users type in keywords in the address bar in firefox - it goes to search results for the keyword in google.

In ie7 it goes to the results in live.com

However for quite a few ASCII keywords in firefox, it will go directly to the top ranking website for the keyword entered.

However for all my IDNs i have tried, in FF it directs directly to the .com of the keyword if it is registered.

Is this the case, or sometimes like ASCII will FF go to the highest ranking site for the IDN keyword?
Old 30th August 2007, 12:22 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Typing in keywords in the address bar..

Some of your domains will rank very high on keyword search. This particularly true of undeveloped languages or crap keyword combinations. If nobody is developing sites on your keywords then you will rank number one and get the type in. Of course the problem is that there almost certainly won't be any anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrohan
Not sure if this has been covered before, have search but couldn't find anything.

Just when users type in keywords in the address bar in firefox - it goes to search results for the keyword in google.

In ie7 it goes to the results in live.com

However for quite a few ASCII keywords in firefox, it will go directly to the top ranking website for the keyword entered.

However for all my IDNs i have tried, in FF it directs directly to the .com of the keyword if it is registered.

Is this the case, or sometimes like ASCII will FF go to the highest ranking site for the IDN keyword?
Old 30th August 2007, 12:40 PM

mgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enough

OK, i am pretty sure now that that is the case.

I have developed domains (not using the .com extension).
With better rankings than the .com which are undeveloped and just registry paking pages. (some of my URL keywords are in the top 3 of google. with the .com not even listed in google).

But typing the keyword in the address bar will ALWAYS go to the .com in the case of IDNs (in FF).

Seems like this would definetely mean even more type-ins for the .com, and more value.

Also not good for those of us who are developing domains. Then again firefox isn't in that big usage in Asia at the mo', so maybe not much to think about..
Old 30th August 2007, 01:55 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrohan
But typing the keyword in the address bar will ALWAYS go to the .com in the case of IDNs (in FF).

ISn't so for me?

Typing keyword, FF always bring to the first SERP of Google.
Old 30th August 2007, 02:21 PM

OK, my mistake i had some IDN addon for firefox. Thought i had it disabled, but apparantly not :p
Old 30th August 2007, 06:57 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

as i understand, only the apple browser, safari actually defaults to the .com.
Old 31st August 2007, 03:51 AM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Opps - there is a reason to push Firefox - haha (well for those of us who own less .coms)... lol... cheers, Asiaplay

PS: whats .com anyway ("communist"?... is a little outdated these days anyway isn't it - hehe )
Old 1st September 2007, 01:07 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Safari and Opera.
Old 1st September 2007, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay
Opps - there is a reason to push Firefox - haha (well for those of us who own less .coms)... lol... cheers, Asiaplay
Actually when you think about it, non-English Safari users will learn that IDN's exist because they'll type something in and they'll get taken to the .com of it, and they'll be converts.

IE and FF users will be taken to an SE and be blissfully unaware that IDN's exist. Still.
Old 1st September 2007, 04:40 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay

PS: whats .com anyway ("communist"?... is a little outdated these days anyway isn't it - hehe )
Firefox has broken .com access. And it defaults to Google upon return. What good does this do anyone? Yes, it works with .ccTLD, but it still defaults to Google, doing you no good for typin traffic.

Forget about the Fox. Promote Opera and Safari. These are the real friends of domainers.
Old 2nd September 2007, 12:49 PM

mark07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Firefox has broken .com access. And it defaults to Google upon return. What good does this do anyone? Yes, it works with .ccTLD, but it still defaults to Google, doing you no good for typin traffic.

Forget about FireFox. Promote Opera and Safari. These are the real friends of domainers.
Well then I have to surely download out Opera and Safari and see which one works better for me in terms of domaining.
Old 2nd September 2007, 12:54 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast

Forget about FireFox. Promote Opera and Safari. These are the real friends of domainers.
Recent FF versions do an "I'm Feeling Lucky" google search when you type in keyword without extension. As you might know, the "I'm Feeling Lucky" search takes you to the first google SERP.

This started after Google and Mozilla Foundation became partners.