IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2007, 07:06 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
IBM launches Hindi speech recognition tech

Software major IBM has developed a speech recognition technology in Hindi which would help physically challenged and less literate Hindi speakers access information through a variety of applications.

The Desktop Hindi Speech Recognition Technology developed by the IBM India Software Lab, in collaboration with the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing, would provide an interface for human-computer interaction.

The technology helps transcribe continuous speech in Hindi instantly into text form and could find use in a variety of applications such as voice-enabled ATMs, car navigation systems, banking, telecom, railways and airlines, said IBM India Research Laboratory Director, Daniel Dias.

The system can recognise more than 75,000 Hindi words with variations in dialects, providing an accuracy level of 90-95 per cent, he said.

A spell checker to correct spoken word errors enhances the accuracy. The technology has integrated many user-friendly features such as facility to convert text to digits and decimals, date and currency format, and into fonts which could be imported to any windows-based application.

“IBM believes in taking high-end research to the benefit of the masses and bridging the digital divide through a faster diffusion process,” Dias said.

The technology would enable C-DAC to ensure high-level accuracy in Hindi translation in a host of domains, including administration, finance, agriculture and small scale industry.

http://www.business-standard.com/ice...o=294853&tab=r
Old 1st September 2007, 07:24 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough
Re: IBM launches Hindi speech recognition tech

Apparently Vista has 'new and improved' voice recognition capabilities .. whatever that means
Old 1st September 2007, 07:42 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Nice.. Except for the fact that English is the most widely used language in India. Or maybe I should call it "Inglish".

Trivia: The entire legal system of India operates in English. The constitution is written in English...

Last edited by jacksonm; 1st September 2007 at 07:49 PM..
Old 1st September 2007, 08:03 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Nice.. Except for the fact that English is the most widely used language in India. Or maybe I should call it "Inglish".

Trivia: The entire legal system of India operates in English. The constitution is written in English...

Bollocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
Apparently Vista has 'new and improved' voice recognition capabilities .. whatever that means
I don't think that will work for Hindi.

IBM seem to be pandering to the illiterate that don't speak English. Interesting development.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 1st September 2007 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 1st September 2007, 08:16 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Bollocks!
http://indiancourts.nic.in/index.html

http://indiacode.nic.in/

constitution - it shows a link for english and hindi, but the hindi link also opens an english text

http://indiacode.nic.in/coiweb/welcome.html

No Bollocks, the place operates in English. I've been there and seen it with my own eyes.

Old 1st September 2007, 08:27 PM
Veteran

Quote:
http://indiancourts.nic.in/index.html

http://indiacode.nic.in/

constitution - it shows a link for english and hindi, but the hindi link also opens an english text

http://indiacode.nic.in/coiweb/welcome.html

No Bollocks, the place operates in English. I've been there and seen it with my own eyes.

There is some truth in the fact that English is extensively used in the Legal System but Hindi is the Official Language and is without doubt the most widely used in the sense that it the language most people use most often. If you use widely in the Geographical sense then arguable what you state is true.

The problem with all this is that you see what you want to see. For obvious reasons most people would have spoken to you in English. That doesn't mean that it is their chosen language of communication.

The CIA and their handbook have gone a long way to distort the American perception of India. As with most places the CIA have researched in recent years, they appear to have got much of it wrong.
Old 1st September 2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
There is some truth in the fact that English is extensively used in the Legal System but Hindi is the Official Language and is without doubt the most widely used in the sense that it the language most people use most often. If you use widely in the Geographical sense then arguable what you state is true.
Used extensively as in the laws aren't written in any other language...

Quote:
The problem with all this is that you see what you want to see. For obvious reasons most people would have spoken to you in English. That doesn't mean that it is their chosen language of communication.
No, I am referring to the fact that as I went to shop in supermarkets, malls, shoe stores, etc, the whole places were in English. And I didn't go out of my way to find an English speaking shop, either, they were everywhere. When I heard Indians talking to each other, they were very often speaking English. All the signs in front of establishments were in English. The billboards were in English. The radio advertisements were in English. The TV shows were in English. In fact the only one in the whole damned place who seemed to have a difficulty with English was my driver!

Quote:
The CIA and their handbook have gone a long way to distort the American perception of India. As with most places the CIA have researched in recent years, they appear to have got much of it wrong.
Maybe I should read that sometime!

Old 1st September 2007, 08:38 PM
Veteran

Look, this subject has been discussed Ad Nausium before and your opinions are in conflict with those of most of the native speakers.

Frankly, I don't give a toss about what people here think of Hindi or the other Indic languages. I have no intention of trying to sell those domains here. If I decide to dispose of some, I will simply drop them, but most of them are keepers.

Quote:
No, I am referring to the fact that as I went to shop in supermarkets, malls, shoe stores, etc, the whole places were in English. And I didn't go out of my way to find an English speaking shop, either, they were everywhere. When I heard Indians talking to each other, they were very often speaking English. All the signs in front of establishments were in English. The billboards were in English. The radio advertisements were in English. The TV shows were in English. In fact the only one in the whole damned place who seemed to have a difficulty with English was my driver!

Maybe I should read that sometime!

Quote:
Used extensively as in the laws aren't written in any other language...
Please do us all the favour of doing a modicum of research before making such statements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Officia...di_and_English

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 1st September 2007 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 1st September 2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Look, this subject has been discussed Ad Nausium before and your opinions are in conflict with those of most of the native speakers.
I will point out that I haven't presented any opinions, merely observations.

An opinion would sound something like "I think hindi domains are worthless". But I don't hold that opinion, as we already seen that at least one of them sold for what was it, 4k USD? Not bad...

Maybe it's that English is widely used in the middle-upper castes, and I rarely went anywhere that would involve people outside of those. One observation I made, however, was that when I went to purchase some neem oil (agricultral product), the place my driver took me to was in Hindi and the product label and information sheet was all in Hindi (except for the company name on the bottle, in English). I guess the farmers might not speak much English...

Quote:
Please do us all the favour of doing a modicum of research before making such statements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Officia...di_and_English
Looking at the official government website of published laws, can you find one written in other than english?

Reading the wikipedia page just confirms what I am saying. They have been tasked with switching to hindi, people protested, and they are still operating in English.

Last edited by jacksonm; 1st September 2007 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 1st September 2007, 09:03 PM
Veteran

What you will find is that most Indians even the semi-literate will speak more than one language or dialect. I have know illiterates in Africa that can function in four languages or more.

Sure most of the Middle Class will speak English and use it in a business environment as appropriate.

It is not unusual for nations to be almost schizophrenic with languages. When I was in Algeria, they always used French at work, but almost never outside work. In Pakistan, Urdu is the official language and most people use this as their written language. The most common spoken language is actually a version of Punjabi, whose alphabet is virtually a cultural afront. It was formerly written in the Arabic Alphabet, but has fallen into decline. Urdu is not commonly used for verbal communication.

Quote:
I will point out that I haven't presented any opinions, merely observations.

An opinion would sound something like "I think hindi domains are worthless". But I don't hold that opinion, as we already seen that at least one of them sold for what was it, 4k USD? Not bad...

Maybe it's that English is widely used in the middle-upper castes, and I rarely went anywhere that would involve people outside of those. One observation I made, however, was that when I went to purchase some neem oil (agricultral product), the place my driver took me to was in Hindi and the product label and information sheet was all in Hindi (except for the company name on the bottle, in English). I guess the farmers might not speak much English...

Quote:
Looking at the official government website of published laws, can you find one written in other than english?

Reading the wikipedia page just confirms what I am saying. They have been tasked with switching to hindi, people protested, and they are still operating in English.

That is a bit like saying that because nearly all business in the EU is now done in English that everyone speaks English.

Many people do speak English, but outside the UK, nobody much will be surfing in English.

I was on a contract in Guinea. The official language of the contract was English, although any legal determination would have been made in Paris.

Did anything actually happen in English? Yes, occasionally the Engineer used to switch the language of the meetings to English simply to embarrass the contractor's agent who did not speak a word.

Did that make any impact other than to sour site relations a little further? Of course not!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 1st September 2007 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost